The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

...drinking the kool-aid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ...drinking the kool-aid
    Posted: 08-July-2010 at 6:49AM

Well after an almost three year resto on the black/black 72 GTS-351cj and selling my 70 mustang, my father in law asked if I'd like to have (as in give me) his 1978 Cadillac Seville Elegante'.  A little research shows that they made 50K Sevilles that year, but only 5K of the 78 elegante' which was the top of the line, most expensive US made car that year.  This one has had a repaint with another factory Cadillac color, but otherwise is all there.  Has the 350ci with Bendix fuel injection.  It's been sitting for almost 20 years in a completely enclosed garage and it was driven into it at the time.  What should I do?  Paul~

1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2010 at 7:29AM
take it, you could either rebuilt it, or rebuild it and sell it. This way, you could afford one of those trip you and your sole mate will never forget Wink.
Like going in Egypt to see the pyramids, or something more in your chords
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2010 at 8:03AM

I dont know if there is a big market for that particular caddy, based on the malibu or nova i think.  Dont tell him i said it, but put some 22's on it and it would probably sell fast.

-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2010 at 8:24AM
Those late 70's Cadillacs are great cars. I had a 79 DeVille my grandfather had given me, and I drove it for years as a daily driver. I don't think they are really worth anything (unless it is equipped with a large stereo system and hydraulic suspension), but for a daily driver it is priceless.

I still miss my 79 DeVille. I really wish I had just rebuilt the motor and not had gotten rid of it.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2010 at 10:06AM

Paul, get it and make a Michael Keaton's pimp car like the one from the Movie "Night Shift". Movie Classic! LOL

I just noticed the Texas tag. Is the car here in Texas still???

Edited by gpd294 - 08-July-2010 at 12:31PM
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2010 at 2:38PM
Carlos,
My bad.  I forgot to mention that the photo is one that I pulled off of the 'net to use as an example of what it looked like (same color/make/model) in case folks didn't know what I was referring to.  I don't have one of the actual car which is in South Carolina (about 250 miles south of here).  Sorry for the confusion on that. 

Thanks to everyone who posted.  I plan on getting it up here as soon as possible.  I've gotta' have a fall/winter project lined up.  Wink Paul~
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2010 at 3:57PM
Originally posted by gpd294 gpd294 wrote:

Paul, get it and make a Michael Keaton's pimp car like the one from the Movie "Night Shift". Movie Classic! LOL

I just noticed the Texas tag. Is the car here in Texas still???

Dead it's ugly

thanks to you, there's some spaghetti bolognaise on my keyboard LOL
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2010 at 1:36AM
When Jackie Brown came out, I wanted a 75-76 Seville so bad I could taste it. But then I realized the Granada is the better car, but I like road-hugging weight. Back to the Torino. Now look at the Granada, now back to the Torino.

I don't think I could be happy driving anything less than a two-ton car.
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2010 at 5:55AM
You could always sell me the rear disc hardware and bracketry. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2010 at 6:25AM
Originally posted by ramair351 ramair351 wrote:

I dont know if there is a big market for that particular caddy, based on the malibu or nova i think.  Dont tell him i said it, but put some 22's on it and it would probably sell fast.

Pete,
I believe you're right that the 76-79 models were based on the Nova. 
P~
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2010 at 6:27AM
Originally posted by occupant occupant wrote:

When Jackie Brown came out, I wanted a 75-76 Seville so bad I could taste it. But then I realized the Granada is the better car, but I like road-hugging weight. Back to the Torino. Now look at the Granada, now back to the Torino.

I don't think I could be happy driving anything less than a two-ton car.

Robert Forster was great in Jackie Brown.  Was it Ordell who was driving a Seville or Max?  Haven't seen the film in a while.  Paul~
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2010 at 7:13AM
They are a Nova. too bad they are all 4 doors. I'd love to see one in that pale yellow with a Cad 500/Turbo 400. 
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2010 at 3:47AM
Not a car worth a whole lot of money!
Just another one of those GM Scams to make people spend ALOT of money on Base-Line chassis!
An early expiriment that also led to the Cimarron.
It was a response to the Ford/Lincoln Upscale Granada rip off... the Versailles?

It is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it... take it and SELL it for quick cash.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2010 at 3:43AM
How is that a scam? How is a Versailles a scam? (If you say badge engineering, I refer you to the Nissan Pathfinder / Infinity QX4 and will point you to your Honda/Acura dealer). 
Paul
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2010 at 11:41AM
First of all, the Seville CAME FIRST (May 1975 as a 1976 model). The Versailles was Ford's late (summer 1976 as a 1977 model) answer to it. The Granada was upscale enough as it was, IMO.

Second, they (the Seville and Versailles) were both poor values new. The Granada in 1976 I believe started around $3800. The Versailles in 1977 started out at $11500. If you could live without the different grille, the different headlight treatment, and the funky vinyl fake spare tire on the trunk lid, you could load up a Granada or Monarch into the $7000-$8000 range and have anything and everything the Versailles could have including the 351 V8, the 4-wheel disc brakes, air conditioning, power everything, cruise control, electric rear window defogger, wire wheels, and more.

In 1976 you could buy a base model Nova coupe for $3247 with the six and manual, no air. Make it a sedan, add air conditioning, power steering and brakes, AM-FM stereo, the V-8 engine, automatic transmission, Concours package, upgraded interior trim, and some wire wheel covers and you'd have a fairly nice car for $5000 or so. The Seville's base price was $12479. Nearly 4 times as much as the basic model and 2.5 times as much as the well-equipped Concours!

That DOES sound like a SCAM to me!

Second, the Seville was Max's. Ordell had that black Mercedes SL, but he also drove anything his guys would get for him, like the black Olds 98 he shot Beaumont (Chris Tucker) in the trunk of.

*trunk opens revealing a very dead Beaumont*
Louis: Who's that?
Ordell Robbie: That's Beaumont.
Louis: Who's Beaumont?
Ordell Robbie: An employee I had to let go.
Louis: What'd he do?
Ordell Robbie: He put himself in a position where he was going to have to do ten years in prison, that's what he did. And if you know Beaumont, you know ain't no *censored* way he can do ten years. And if you know that, then you know Beaumont's gonna do anything Beaumont can to keep from doing them ten years, including telling the federal government any and every *censored* thing about my black ass. Now that my friend is a clear cut case of him or me. And you best believe it ain't gonna be me.

That's one of those movies I wanted to see when it came out, and I couldn't because I was living with my parents. I had to wait until 2000 and I caught it a few times on Showtime and then more recently I think AMC has been playing it.

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World was just on AMC. Now THAT is a fun movie to watch if you can sit through three and a half hours of it. I wish there had been an update to that sometime with late 70s cars, but it's ok as it is. The Rat Race movies just never struck me like IAMMMMW.

Edited by occupant - 12-July-2010 at 11:59AM
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2010 at 1:11PM
Jackie Brown is one of those movies that I put on when I working in my shop.  The dialogue is so dense that you don't actually have to watch it to enjoy it; just listening to it is entertaining.  Jackie Brown was a whole lot better than Inglorious Basterds.  Was Tarantino drinking the Kool-Aid on that one? 
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2010 at 2:48PM
Paul, when Quentin Tarantino brought Inglourious Basterds to the big screen, he wasn't just drinking the Kool-Aid, he was DRIVING THE KOOL-AID...

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2010 at 9:14AM
Eh, I guess. Name carries alot IMO. I've had more than one younger person (relative to me, I'm 30), say "Ohh wow that's a Lincoln?"

"No.. it's a Mercury.. just like a Mark V tho."

"Oh....... too bad."

An Infinity G35 is just a Nissan 350Z. I have friends with both of them. The G gets more 'street cred'.

Edited by Psquare75 - 13-July-2010 at 9:15AM
Paul
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2010 at 10:38AM
I didn't get that Cougar by the way, it sold for double my sealed bid. Kinda sad, went to a junkyard buyer I've seen buy dozens of cars from similar auctions. I'm willing to bet cash he works for CTC Auto Ranch up in Krum. He always buys the old iron regardless of condition or cost unless it's some kinda high dollar street machine. If nothing else, this car will get a good home there supplying parts across the country.

But I do want one. Maybe the next cheap one I find will have a blue interior. I do like blue interiors.
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2010 at 3:32PM
Originally posted by occupant occupant wrote:

Paul, when Quentin Tarantino brought Inglourious Basterds to the big screen, he wasn't just drinking the Kool-Aid, he was DRIVING THE KOOL-AID...

OMGShocked.  Please tell me this is some type of photo shop deal and not a real car.  I fell out of my chair.  Great stuff.  Paul~
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2010 at 8:52AM
So what do I do after I've completed the Lazarus project?; why a 1978 Cadillac Seville Elegante (1 of 5000 for 1978).  Drove to Charleston this weekend and pulled the car out of storage where it has been since 02/1991.  My father in law drove it in the garage and never drove it out again.  It's fully loaded with every possible option. 

In the garage with 20 years worth of dust/mold/mouse feces on it.
Me with my 3M mask on looking like something out of horror movie

After being unearthed
Pulling the drive shaft to transport.  Not too much rust, LOL
Interior after a bit of cleaning.  Is that rich, Corinthian Leather?
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2010 at 2:50PM
Hell I'd make a driver out it. Try parking next to another one.
A forklift and a sodablaster could clean up the underside a bit without the side effects of sand blasting. Just a thought :). 
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2010 at 3:01PM
That's my plan with this one.  The piggy bank is busted, so about all I'll be able to do is clean her up and drive her. 
 Post Reply Post Reply