The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

69 Torino GT Power Steering Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69GTFB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 Torino GT Power Steering Question
    Posted: 14-July-2010 at 6:48AM
I copied and pasted this from my post in the Welcome Mat.

Hope somebody might have some info.

I do have a question though. The only thing I regret is the the original owner didn't order Power Steering on it, which leads me to a question, if anyone can help. I have 1 arm with a torn rotator cuff muscle and my other arm doesn't work as good either from birth so trying to turn in parking lots and tight turns is a chore. 

Does anyone know of a company that makes a conversion kit to convert to power steering??? I have looked, and I have friends looking out for power steering original parts, but it seems they are very hard to come by. Any help would be very much appreciated!!!

THANX!!!
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2010 at 7:28AM
I know this is for trucks, but it will give you an idea of how simple it really is to add power steering to a manual steering vehicle:

http://www.fordification.com/tech/powersteering.htm

The truck and car boxes will be VERY similar. You just need to find a power steering gearbox, high and low pressure hoses, a power steering pump, engine bracket for the pump, some Type F ATF for the fluid, and a belt. Worst case you might have to change the harmonic balancer (crank pulley) if there's not a groove for the power steering belt available. But at least on my car, the power steering belt also runs off the alternator and water pump, so all you have to do is get a longer belt for a P/S-equipped '69 Torino with your engine. You may also have to change your steering column (trucks had 3 different columns from 67-72, not sure about Torinos before '72)

RockAuto is showing a lot of different belts for a '69 Torino GT and I don't even know what engine you have. Seems there are 4 different lengths on FE motors, one for no PS/AC, one for PS no AC, one for PS and AC, and one for AC no PS. So I'm thinking you'd be ok on the crank pulley thing.
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
TDLMOMOWERS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TDLMOMOWERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2012 at 12:55PM
Check with either Macs or Auto Krafters. I saw a conversion in one of their catalogs to add a power steering system to a Torino that didn't come with power steering. This system required the replacement of the steering gear box and did not use the common Ford, control valve and assist cylinder. It came with a pump, hoses, and gearbox and all the brackets. It seemed a little pricey.
 Post Reply Post Reply