The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with cam bearing!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torkair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with cam bearing!!!
    Posted: 16-July-2010 at 4:39AM
I got the old stock cam out of my 400 last night and found that the #1 cam bearing is all chewed up.  I don't feel comfortable just letting my new cam run on a trashed bearing so I need to replace it.  I understand the basic principle of replacing the press-fit bearing but would like some real world experience as backup on this so any help is appreciated!
72 Gran Torino "sport"- in progress

73 Ranchero GT- Q code-460/C6/3.25 open rear
Fordified V8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fordified V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2010 at 6:15AM
Well, as to not get in over my head I generally out source that type of work. I'd imagine there is a bearing extraction tool. I would suck to try to beat it out of there. If your doing the work while the engine is still in the car it is what it is. If it's out, pull it all apart, get it line bored & change out the lower end bearings as well. It's no big surprise the cam bearings are shot if the engine has alot of miles on it. Good luck.
70 MACH I "R" code

72 GTS 351CJ

72 TR6

15 F250 Lariat
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2010 at 8:46AM
I would definitely send the bare block to a machine shop. It'll come back all clean and you can paint it, assemble, and it'll look AWESOME. I called my nearest machine shop that didn't answer their phone with a fax machine, and they said $30 to clean the block, $20 to replace all the cam bearings (plus the $21 for the set of bearings themselves cause they won't replace just one). If you don't need to do anything to your heads then that is only $71 plus tax and shop fees. That's cheap. And a bare 400 block only weighs 150-160lbs so it's not too unwieldy.

Seems some of the Carquests in and around Tucson offer machine shop services. One is up north, another out east, seems you've got plenty near you. I've got to drive 30-40 miles to find a shop. There used to be one in town but it's...uh...not in business anymore:

Edited by occupant - 16-July-2010 at 8:55AM
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
torkair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torkair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2010 at 11:15AM
On the bright side it's on an engine stand and I've got it pretty well pulled apart already.  Greg recommended this place thats just up the street from me, probably have them clean the block and install the new bearings, then do the assembly work myself.  I was quoted $250 for the whole short block job but I just started a new job after being unemployed for the past 5 months so we'll see where we stand on Monday.
72 Gran Torino "sport"- in progress

73 Ranchero GT- Q code-460/C6/3.25 open rear
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2010 at 4:34PM
the front cam bearing in a 335 series engine has a few tricks to it. you can't just knock it in like a small chevy and call it a day, there's a spec that says it can't be back from the front edge of the block more than .005", then there's another trick that not in the book. you clock the bearing to reduce the hole that feeds the distributor shaft some, it doesn't need much oil.

and don't look now but Tim Meyer has a special set of cam bearings that restrict all 5(no drilling and tapping needed for restrictor plugs), and they introduce the oil at 4:00 rather than 6:00. this creates the oil wedge in front of the journal rather than under it, oiling the entire underside of the bearing rather than 1/2 of it
 Post Reply Post Reply