The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tach instead of clock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote placid warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tach instead of clock
    Posted: 29-September-2005 at 8:05AM
I Installed a tach a little while ago cause my clock wasnt working, what i didnt realize was how perfect the fit was.  I  didnt think to take step by step photos at the time but its not a big deal, all i did was unscrew the gauge cover and the pieces that held the clock in....after that i took my tach, removed the glass and trim from it and placed the tach (from the front) in the metal frame that covered the clock...it fit like a glove but was loose so i took used some hot glue to keep it in place, after that i cut the back off the metal box that the clocks gears were in so the tack would stick through the back and then screwed everything in place again...looks stock except for the much brighter tach light (i plan on replacing the other dash lights with LED's).  Dont mind the wire hanging from under the dash or the mess on the floor...i took the pic right after i put my cd player in and hadn't cleaned up.

Gregs72Sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregs72Sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2005 at 3:59PM
Wow it does look like it was meant to be there. Tell me what kinda of tach you used? What was the diameter of the the tach face? Great way to give a stock look without the high price of a used sport instrument cluster. Also what advantage does LED lights have over the normal bulb? I'm guessing brightness and color options? Greg
placid warrior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote placid warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2005 at 11:36AM
its an Equus product -Pro Tach- i got it from my buddy when he sold his truck.  Its 3.5" dia. without the front trim piece, otherwise its a 4" tach.  You're dead on about the LED's...brighter and color, ecxept the stock lights have a blue plastic shield which gives it a greenish look...so those have to be removed when the LED lights go in.
 Post Reply Post Reply