The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1972 Torino Brake upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fordman53955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1972 Torino Brake upgrade
    Posted: 06-October-2005 at 9:12AM

Hi

I was reading some old posts on brake upgrades for my '72 Torino Sport.  I'm interested in doing the 12 inch brake upgrade.  I have can get a 1972  Lincoln Mark IV for next to nothing.  I'm not sure if it has the Disc rear.  Does this car have the right parts?  What do I need? is there any custom work other than having the rotor redrilled to 5x4.5.  Any help would be appreciated

Nemtorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nemtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2005 at 3:49PM
I would also like any infomation that people have regarding the front brake upgrade. Do you just need the front spindles, calibers and rotors from a lincoln or what? has anyone here do this before.
1972 Gran Torino Sport (under frame up restore)
1972 Gran Torino 4-door

my site:GranTorino.net
DragginWagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragginWagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2005 at 6:39AM
This might be ridiculous, but there are companies that produce suspension parts for late model stock cars.  Most are Chevy parts, but there is some mid-size Ford stuff out there as well.  I've always wondered if you could adapt one of those suspensions to a street Torino.  It wouldn't be cheap, but it would be nice stuff and you'd have parts on it that would be much better than stock.  It might be something to think about. 
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2005 at 5:38AM

For the 11 13/16 front brakes on my 1976, I just needed to get the spindle from a Full-size car (T-bird in my case).  I used the calipers I had and had the rotors re-drilled.  The brake lines could use to be 1/2" longer or so thnough..   You must use 15" wheels after the swap.  If you go disc rear, you'll need the Master Cylinder from the Mark..

Jim

1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
DragginWagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragginWagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2005 at 9:51AM
Interesting project.  What year of T-bird spindles did you use?
Fordman53955 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fordman53955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2005 at 2:06PM

So I just need the spindles.  My caliper from my Torino will work.  Are the flexable brake lined from the Tbird longer than the Torino?

GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2005 at 6:15AM
One thing to be remembered here is that the full-size brakes are 5x5 bolt pattern, where as a mid-size (Torino) is 5x4.5 bolt pattern. Which effectively means that if you upgrade the front brakes to the larger 12 inch discs (11 13/16 to be exact), then your front wheels have to be once size and rear wheels another.

To further complicate the matter, most of the rear-disc retrofit kits, such as the Motorcraft, are based on the Ford Explorer design, which includes 5x4.5 bolt pattern. Great for a Torino that has regular front brakes, but not so for the upgraded front.

Alternatively, you could upgrade the rear brakes to full-size drums/spindles (which I think are 0.25 inch wider than the standard large 11 inch drums for Elites/heavy duty), but again that is drum. You could use full-size rear-disc, but the newer style (like the Ford Explorer style retrofit) has the nice mini-drum breake Emergency Brake setup, where as older Ford rear disc applications are not usually that, and adjustment of those style E-brakes is considerably more difficult.

Jim, I'd like you to comment here. I have done alot of research on this and the above information is what I have found. Since you have actually done it, some of my statement may not be true if you have found a way around it or located parts that I am totally unaware of.

I always wanted to upgrade my brakes, but was torn because of the above delima...
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2005 at 3:47AM
  i believe that 72 only T-bird rotors will get you the size but with 4.5" bolt bolt pattern. I will find out for sure Monday! Gary
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2005 at 5:17AM

I just had the front rotors re-drilled (and the hub on the rotor had to be turned down a bit because the 5x5 wheels have a larger center).  It cost something like $50 for the pair..  I took them a stock rotor and a big car rotor so the measurements would be accurate.  I never researched any further on a big rotor with the small pattern that will work with our spindle, or a rear disc option with a 5x5 (several Chevy trucks had 5x5 though, perhaps there exists a swap possibility there). 

They do fill a 15" wheel nicely, no question about that.

There are other possibilities out there using the old rotor as a hub (cutting off the rotor part), and using a newer disc, like one from a CV or a Mustang, but they would all require machining a new carrier for the caliper, and may cause wheel fitment issues.

Jim

Edited by JimW
1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2005 at 5:49AM
One thing is for certain Jim,

You don't mess around when you want to get a mod done. I would have never considered redrilling the lugs and taking down the center hub material. That is $$$ and involved, but a stroke of genius to even consider such an endeavor.

And since I have yet to completely solve the lug size issues I mention above, your path is very compelling.

I'd still like to hear from Torinogts73c about the T-bird rotors.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2005 at 2:44AM

Sometime necessity is the mother of invention, sometimes stupidity.  I bought the big rotors, cleaned them, put the bearings in them, and was ready to install before I realized they had the wrong pattern, too late to return them, and getting them machined was cheaper than buying the correct ones new.

:-)

Jim

1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
The Torino Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Torino Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2005 at 3:56AM

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/11/torinoreardiscs/

i was thinking about doing this for the rear.

1973 Gran Torino Sport CJ 351

'Q' code 63R body
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2005 at 11:52AM

Really good article!

Solves that problem!

Although I do have a couple questions after reading the article:

1. Why replace the whole axle? I though that replacing the backplates, mounts, etc and the axle shafts should be sufficient. I checked and it seems like a 76 Mark IV and a 75 Torino use the same rear axle shaft bearing, so unless the shafts are different lengths, they should work??? I would not want to remove the whole housing unless really necessary.

2. What type of rear E-brake is used. I heard the non-hat-type that is not a small drum brake (like the Ford Explorer retrofit kit style) is really hard to adjust. Maybe it is not and I heard wrong. Anyway it would be nice to know.

Excellent research, though, and Kudos to Ford Muscle for actually going through the motions!

Scott Eklund

Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2005 at 12:59PM

72 T-bird rotors are 5 on 4.5" bolt circle industry part# 6028 actual size is 11 47/64 which is pretty close to 12" . Gary Moore

Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2005 at 10:51AM

With regard to the 72 T-bird rotors, there appears to be a difference in bearing size. Are the bearings bigger than the 75 Torino? If so, then the spindle needs to be changed, which presents additional problems of it's own...

Thoughts? Am I off-track?

Scott Eklund

Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2005 at 2:05PM
The 75 Torino bearings are different than the 72 T-birds 75's are bigger. The 72 bird and 72-73 Torino use the same bearing sizes. I think the best bet might be to check out the newer Crown Vic brakes and spindles. Newer tech better quality.

Nemtorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nemtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2005 at 11:34AM

Never Crown Vic? like what years? has anyone done this before. I did not know any Crown vic parts swaped with a Torino. I am pretty shocked that they would work.

1972 Gran Torino Sport (under frame up restore)
1972 Gran Torino 4-door

my site:GranTorino.net
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2005 at 4:35AM

Speaking more generally, I know *some* Crown Vic parts work.

With that being said, the only one I have confirmed is shocks. They have higher damping rates that those used on the Torino, but physically are interchangeable. They are a very good choice if you have rebuilt/upgraded your suspension. The Police models (1992) is a great choice if you are inclined to have a stiffer ride with less damping.

It should be remembered that the Crown Vic body is essentially an extension of the Torino mid-size of 1972 on. It has, of course, changed through the years, so I do not know how many interchangeable parts there are between a 1986 Crown Vic and a 1975 Torino. Presumeably there are more than just shocks, but probably not enough to much of a swap realistic.

Some research has revealed that the brake rotor in the front do use the same BR11 and BR12 inner/outer bearings. That does not necessarily mean the rotors can be used on a 75 Torino however, as the spindle length would need to be measured, but I suspect they would fit.

The brake pads are different, but again if the caliper and the caliper mount could be transfered to a 75 Torino spindle assembly, then it would be doable.

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2005 at 4:36AM

2005-12-16_163345_Page_1.pdf
2005-12-16_163359_Page_2.pdf
2005-12-16_163417_Page_3.pdf
2005-12-16_163428_Page_4.pdf
2005-12-16_163437_Page_5.pdf
2005-12-16_163502_Page_6.pdf

I liked the article so much (about the Torino Brake upgrade previously mentioned), that I made the internet webpages into PDF's and posted them here. It is also an experiement to see how the file upload works.

Let me know if you can view these PDF files very easily. A bonus is that you can read about disc brake upgrades for the Torino at the same time!

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2005 at 1:49AM

I jumped in late here. I have a 78 Cougar (same frame, as we know). I currently run Bilisteins for a Crown Vic, so I too, will confirm they work.

Also.. I have another way I'm working to get 13" brakes up front, I didn't want to mention it until I did it, but, what the hell.

Mid 60's Galaxy people use our spindles as a front disc brake upgrade. Supposedly, the upper and lower ball joints directly interchange, but our spindle needs 1/8" of material removed from the tie rod surface..

Reversing the logic, It stands to reason that a Galaxy spindle will fit our car, with a 1/8" washer on top of the tie rod end of the spindle.

Now.. why use these? Well for one. Drum brakes. Much easier to make a bracket using 4 holds around the spindle shaft, then the funky bolt pattern of the stock ford caliper. Also.. My reasoning, was the brackets sold on eBay, for the mustangs with drum brakes.. 13" mustang brakes as a bolt on... I'll stop here.

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2006 at 3:33AM

JUST LOOKED AT MY INVENTORY.

1978 VERSAILLES FRONT ROTORS ARE 11.5" +-, 4.5 BOLT CIRCLE.  NOT SURE OF THE BEARING SIZES.

86 (I THINK) REAR ROTORS FOR LINCOLN CONTINENTAL (MARK VII) - 1/4" SMALLER THAN MARKV ROTORS (AD DIA), 4.5 BOLT PATTERN, SAME DEPTH, BUT HAVE TO SEE IF THE CENTER HOLE WILL FIT OVER THE END OF THE AXLE.

1976 ELITE, 71 429 w/cam, quadrajet, 4 wheel Mark V disc brakes, 3.25 trac lok, gutted & 12.9'd Mustang steering box
 Post Reply Post Reply