The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aluminum polish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aluminum polish
    Posted: 11-September-2010 at 9:19PM

looking for some help finding the right products available to do some Aluminum polishing...
List out all the products you have used to polish Aluminum parts.
How easy was it?
How do you like it?
How has it held up?

Links to products?

Thanks

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
conard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2010 at 2:39AM
  I have a set of the old aluminum slots.  When I bought them they were badly tarnished.  I tried several brands of polish but was not happy with the results.  Then out of desperation I took sand paper and wet sanded the rims by hand  using higher grit paper until they were smooth.  I then used the mothers polish on a buffing attachment and a cordless drill  and was happy with the results. You don't need to press hard It just takes several applications to get the shine that you are after. The only draw back is they tarnish within a month or so and I have to repeat the process. It is my intention to have them clear coated to see if that helps  Have a fine day  Conard (as for a link I can write everything I know about computers on the back of a postage stamp enough said)
mustangmud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mustangmud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2010 at 4:28PM
i have discovered a miracle alluminum polish called FLITZ,not available here in stores,i bought mine online after a friends recommendation,by far the best polish i have ever used,quick easy with long lasting results,also works on fibreglass boats (i polished my speedboat!)an amazing product,not cheap but beats anything i have ever tried before,steve
Smitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2011 at 8:31AM
Polishing aluminum is hard work.  My Gran Torino has a set of aluminum mags that oxidized while the car was stored outside 10 months in Ohio which included the winter months.  To bring the rims back took a full day each using Mothers Metal Polish and 2 buffing kits that each had about 16 different size buffs.  I had to buy a 90 degree electric drill to just to reach some of the tight corners.  I tried the Power Ball and Power Cone but they were not aggressive enough.  All I can say is its a slow process and takes effort.  

stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2011 at 12:10PM
Wow! Too bad you hadn't taken a before pic (yeah, I always think of it later, too) but your hard work obviously paid off. Nice job!
mule323 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mule323 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2011 at 2:12PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/metalwaxdotcom?feature=pyv&ad=6000269075&kw=polishing%20aluminum%20wheels#p/u/2/AJxs98cu5Ns
This stuff looks interesting. Have absolutely no idea if it really works or not but the video looks promising.
             (Steve)
73 G.T.S. Fastback, 351C, C6
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2011 at 1:37PM
I have tried that 3M stainless steel polish in the spray can at work and it does a pretty good job. However, like everyone else says, for a really good job takes progressively finer sand paper and a lot of spare time. Finish off with 000 or 0000 steel wool.
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
 Post Reply Post Reply