The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problem with MSD distributor?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtexan86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem with MSD distributor?
    Posted: 11-October-2010 at 3:52PM
Hi Guys, this forum has always been so helpful for me so I'm hoping for another successful Q&A.  I've got a 400 V2 in a 75 Gran Torino Sport.  The engine runs and purrs fine.  Several months ago, after continous problems with my ignition, I cut my loses and installed an electronic MSD distributor.  Since then, the car has started 'on demand' and I haven't had any problems...except one.  Every once in a great while, when I go to restart the car, the engine does kind of a half turn, hesitates, then starts.  This only happens when the engine is very hot after being run for a long time.
I haven't run this by any mechanic yet as I don't know if it's a problem worth investing any money to 'fix.'  Like I said, generally, the engine starts fine, runs perfect and I've got no problems driving it several hundred miles.  It's just those few times when it hesitates on starting that get me a little worried.
Thanks for any help/suggestions!  Tina  www.myzebra3.com

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2010 at 5:08PM
I wouldn't sweat it. My Cougar does that as well when really warm or hot out. It's the starter getting warm. If your battery is large enough, and cables are large enough, it should crank. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Blueoval76 View Drop Down
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2010 at 5:20PM
I would have to agree that its normal for that to happen on a hot engine once in a while. When you heat the engine up after a long drive if your timing is bumped up a bit or sometimes even not it can be harder to turn over because it is building more compression.

On a side note I looked at your site and I LOVE your blue SH look!!!! That is awesome and I even thought about that within the last few days! Wow I love it and keep up the great work! Big smile

Jesse
68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2010 at 1:49AM
Did we say HELLO and WELCOME to the board?
If we did... again!
If we didn't... HELLO!

Looks great!
As for the hot issue... common sounds from a big old v-8.
Starter could be getting old, wire connections, check battery and terminals.
but not a real concern at this point.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
xtexan86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtexan86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2010 at 6:48AM
Oh, thanks so much, you guys!  I knew I wouldn't be disappointed!  I'm glad to know the starting issue isn't that unusual and I will check on the starter...not sure how old the one I have is.  Also, thanks for the welcome and the compliments on my car.  I'm a fan of the original TV series but have never liked the color red, so that was the main reason for painting the car blue.  Take care, Tina
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2010 at 4:38PM
I need to find my Mustang pictures.
I used a dark blue metallic and added an SH type stripe then copied the stripe on the Mopar style hood scoop too!
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2010 at 7:30AM
hot start hesitation is a sign that the timing is advanced to the limit, what's your timing set at?
xtexan86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtexan86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2010 at 8:21AM
Hmmm, good question!  I'll have to run it by a mechanic and see.  It wouldn't surprise me if it is set to the limit.  Thanks so much!  Tina
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2010 at 8:25AM
if it is cranked way up & you like it that way, just backing it off a degree or 2 should help. or, if it's not a deal breaker for you just leave it. it'd be kinda nice to know if that's what it is though

Edited by Rockatansky - 13-October-2010 at 9:05AM
 Post Reply Post Reply