The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Montego Carpet Removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Montego Carpet Removal
    Posted: 07-November-2010 at 9:01AM
Hey gang,,, the fellow that will repair the frame rails,, wants the seats and carpet removed,,,  Well the seats are out,, but the carpet is a bugger,,,    but so far the floors look good,,,,

I was told that the carpets were original,,,  they are two piece,,front and rear, and are glued down,,,anyone know it the originals were glued down,,  My last car didn;t have carpets when I got it..

Thanks Pat
1968 Montego MX Convertible, Ontario , Canada
twintornados View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2010 at 12:53AM
They didn't glue the carpets into the vehicle, but during the life of the car they carpets will stick to the underlayment that is a type of asphalt mastic to dampen noise and vibrations and the carpets will sorta bond with it....you will probably have to pull up the mastic as well....that, however is glued to the car...so its a pain to get out, but if you want a quiet ride afterward, remove it carefully or buy replacement mastic and reinstall when you are done.....

Good Luck
Sold the Elite so now the hunt is on for my next "toy"...
patk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2010 at 12:59AM
Thanks Twin,,,,  I Think this is a replacement,,  it has a jute backing,, I now the Mastic that you are talking about,  a bit of it left under the rear seat,,,,, the glue on this worked so well that I have to cut it,, although I will try a heat gun this weekend,,,   and yes I will replace it,,when he carpet is replaced

Thanks again   Pat
1968 Montego MX Convertible, Ontario , Canada
 Post Reply Post Reply