The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > FE Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strange cooling line

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ankarback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange cooling line
    Posted: 18-November-2010 at 8:40AM
I've started to dissamble the engine for the restoration and came across this. Can someone tell me why there's a cooling line going trough a spacer under the carburator??? I have never seen anything like it before. I have two books about the FE engine but none of them have any picture of or mention this.

ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2010 at 9:30AM
never saw it before, it seems to have the function to cool down the the carb, like an air gap, but to make it work correctly, it should be plug at the bottom of the radiator, as like in the pic, when the water reach it, it's already around 200*, so it's way to hot
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2010 at 12:45PM
I think it's more likely to be taking hot water to the base of the carb to prevent carb icing in colder climates, of which your's (and mine) is one.Wink Does the nipple on the back of the carb plate connect to the heater core?
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2010 at 6:56PM
It is a Ford factory installation, and it has a name. The proper name for that escapes me now (i'll think of it), but was (as said above) a system to influence air/fuel inlet temps.

My father's (formerly Great-Grandfather's) 1966 F-100 had this (352 engine).

I want to say "Thermactor", but I think that was something else...
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
ankarback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ankarback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2010 at 8:08PM
Thanks for the info guys Smile. I think the the connector at the back of the plate connects to the heater core but it wasn't connected when I got the car so I don't now for sure.
I know that the car originally came from Canada so as you say it is probably something  for cold climates. The question is if I should leave it on the engine? I'm only going to drive the car during the summertime. Do I need another spacer if I remove this one?
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2010 at 12:32AM

I think you could just by-pass the carb base and run the heater hose directly from the intake to the heater core. However, in climates like our's, carb icing can occur at temps above freezing. It has a lot to do with air velocity and humidity combining to form ice if I understand it correctly. I know I've had it happen a few times in the past when carbs were more popular. So, for those early spring and fall drives, I'd leave it alone. Just my 2 kronor Big smile

Edited by stanman - 19-November-2010 at 12:35AM
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2010 at 3:12AM
Lots of new cars have that on their throttle bodies. It's to prevent carb plate icing. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
ankarback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ankarback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2010 at 7:13AM
2 kronor, thats a good one Wink I haven't decided yet if I'm going to replace the intake manifold with a aluminium intake (maybe an edelbrock). If I do that I'll take this thing off otherwise I think I let it be.

/Johan
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2010 at 10:18AM
An aluminum intake would be a great idea. Those cast ones are HEAVY! As well as saving weight, the aluminum intake will, as you know, increase performance.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2010 at 11:18AM
yup it is there to get heat in the carb faster when it is cold.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2010 at 12:11AM
i had a 68 Montego 302-2V that had the carb heater plate, it also had the remains of the vacuum operated 3-way heater control valve on the firewall that i never did figure out. probably the heater controls inside the car could route hot coolant through the carby base on a certain setting and block it when not needed.
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2010 at 6:17AM
On my 71 F-250 I junked the old cast iron manifold on the 360, and put on an Edelbrock Performer (#2105). No complaints, very nice manifold.

And it was something like 15 pounds, where as original Ford FE manifolds were 75-85 lbs depending on the manifold.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
ankarback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ankarback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2010 at 6:51AM
I'm thinking of doing that too. It depends a bit how much else I have to replace on the engine to make it run again. My budget is a bit limited Unhappy. It's a lot to do, I made an update to the tread in the Project forum.

/Johan
 Post Reply Post Reply