The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tranny cooler ideas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tranny cooler ideas
    Posted: 03-December-2010 at 7:53AM
great place to post pics of your Tranny and Power Steering coolers.

I originally wrote in Ilyes and PSquares threads about routing of the lines...
That a cooler needs to be put inline AFTER the stock Radiator cooler.
this will essentially lower the temp of the fluid even further that the 180-220 degree radiator coolant will.

running the cooler BEFORE the radiator will give zero benefit (ON A HOT DAY!) as the coolr probably will not lower the temp considerably and THEN the Radiator will ONLY cool or might even re-heat the fluid to the 180-220 degree range.

You want the EXTRA/ADDITIONAL cooler to cool the fluid even MORE that the stock radiator can!

The additional cooler will add further chill to that 180-220 coming out of the radiator in the fresh air before it goes back to the tranny.

Run it cooler to rad like you have it and it will ONLY be 180-220, ZERO BENEFIT.
The radiator cooler will make it the 180-220 AFTER the other cooler lowers it below that in the fresh air.

Illustration of what I mean (temps are exaggerated to show what I mean)...
Out of Tranny to radiator (cooled to Coolant temp) to cooler(fresh air cooled further) back in to tranny
Temps....          400                        190                                       150(estimate) COOL fluid into tranny

Out of Tranny to cooler(fresh air cooled) to radiator (cooled or heated to Coolant temp) back in to tranny
Temps....  400      150(probably will not cool it this far in that small of time) cooled or heated to 180/220

No benefit, fluid still runs the 180-220 the original cooler was getting it to.

I hope that made sense!?

Let's see your set ups and what cooler/lines you used.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2010 at 8:01AM
Normally I'd agree with you, but in my case. I've got mine trans >> cooler >> radiator >> trans.

Not sure if you saw my overheating posts, but my cooling system was pretty marginal as it was before.. The trans cooler before made a difference in engine temp, rather than after.

As for power steering.....

It's wider than the radiator. I think it's a hydraulic fluid cooler from an 18 wheeler. It works. One longgggggg loop. I was popping lines due to heat w/o it. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2010 at 8:44AM
here's mine, goes from tranny to radiator than cooler, this is the way it should be, otherwise, there's no point to put one, except if your driving in Alaska and you need to cool down your fluid, but not too much

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2010 at 8:47AM
Been to MA ever? ;). 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2010 at 9:52AM
nope, but if it's freezing, i pass Tongue
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2010 at 12:01PM
i subscribe to the cooler first then radiator school of thought. as Psquare points out, the bulk of the temp is thrown off by the cooler, then the fluid goes through the radiator possibly even removing temp from the engine coolant but leaving the radiator at NORMAL OPERATING TEMP... no harm done

i used the A/C condenser for my cooooler
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2010 at 12:39PM
depends what kind of driving/stall you're running, as well the place where you live. Getting a cooler first will cool down, but then, when it goes to the radiator, it's gonna warm up again, so there's not really a point for the cooler, except few exceptions
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2010 at 3:19PM
if the trans fluid warms up when it goes into the radiator, it is removing heat from the engine, so the trans cooler is cooling both the engine and the trans

and the trans fluid stays at Normal Operating Temperature all year round

can you give an example of one of these times when it works better the other way?

Edited by Rockatansky - 03-December-2010 at 3:23PM
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2010 at 5:45PM
well, let say you're running a high stall, and doing city driving, you will be 95% of the time under the stall, that ain't really bad, but it's summer, 90* outside. So, fluid come really really hot from the tranny, kind of cool down while in the radiator, but not a lot, it's summer remember, and city driving doesn't feed the radiator quite right. If you're not running an extra cooler after the radiator, you're fluid will just become hotter, and hotter, and hotter 
 Post Reply Post Reply