Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > FE Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Timing Chain and Cam replacement question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timing Chain and Cam replacement question
    Posted: 04-January-2011 at 7:36AM
So as part of my plan to replace the head gasket on my 71 F-250 (360 FE engine), I figured if I was torn down that far, why not just replace the cam and timing gear (assuming the cheapo rebuild had just put junk in there).

The timing chain sets are sold with a crank gear. Do I need to change the crank gear also with the timing chain and cam gear? How tough is that to do?
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2011 at 8:05AM

Scott you SHOULD change the gears with the chain.

the chain and gears are designed for each other.
Not hard to change the gears
Once the front cover is off it is just a matter of sliding/pulling the gear off the crankshaft.
could need a little persuasion from a hammer and punch or a legged puller.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Blueoval76 View Drop Down
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2011 at 8:17AM
Agreed. Replace the whole timing set not just the chain and cam sprocket. If you need anything to get the crank gear off I suggest the 2/3 jaw puller. It may just slide off though. To reinstall just use a socket if you have one big enough to lightly tap it on. 
68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2011 at 8:32AM
Cool, thanks guys. Due to all the "possible" causes of the coolant in combustion chamber issue I'm having with the truck, I decided to pursue the repair with some improvements I have wanted to do for some time (cam change and timing chain replacement).

If I'm in that deep, why not?
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2011 at 8:39AM
Nothing like 'excuses' for upgrades. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2011 at 8:39AM
How about an aluminum intake? There should be lots of used ones around...maybe Ebay?
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2011 at 8:48AM
Already have an Edelbrock Performer on there. That was the first thing I changed (FE intakes are around 85 lbs).

That's why I am so intent to replace the cam and timing chain. When I first got the truck, I had gone in under the hood and made tons of changes. Some little, some big (intake, carb, distro). The truck had sat outside under trees in rainy Seattle weather it's whole life. While the engine had only 19,000 miles on it since the cheapo rebuild, that had been over 10 years, and tons of outside sitting. When I went to do basic replacements (accessory bolts, etc) the bolts (like a 50% rate) snapped off. After a few of those, I decided to go a little deeper. I replaced the water pump, all the accessory bolts, etc.

So when I was doing all that, and the fact I had the intake off (and hence the pushrods since it's an FE) I had thought to myself I should change the cam. I didn't... After spending nearly a grand or more on all sorts of stuff (oh yea, I had the radiator and fuel tank done) I opted not to... After getting the engine together it just does not have the power I was hoping (Yes, I actually tow with it).

So, while I hate having this leaking coolant issue, might as well make the most of it. Having the leaky coolant issue in January is probably the worst part of it. The pickup *may* fit into my garage where I can close the door... And since it is attached to the house (and under the master bedroom) leaving the door open isn't an option. So I'll be trying to shoehorn it into the garage. Maybe push it out a few feet when I want to work on it.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
 Post Reply Post Reply