The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust Manifold bolts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust Manifold bolts
    Posted: 06-January-2011 at 5:46AM
So I have what is really a general (all engine type) question:

What type of exhaust manifold bolts should I use with standard exhaust manifolds?

This is specifically related to my 71 F-250 with the 360 FE in it.

When I had originally done a great deal of work to it, I replaced every bolt I could (the old ones were literally breaking of by the dozen, it was crazy) with a nice and shiny ARP accessory bolt mount kit in stainless steel.

Very, very nice bolts.

When I had the cracked exhaust manifold a year later (I did not change those bolts), when I bought a new manifold I opted to put in some ARP stainless bolts there as well (manifold to head).

A couple months go by and they loosened up. I get new gaskets, remove, replace and retorque and then I loctite the lower aft bolts that loosened up.

Fast forward several more months (to last week) and I am under the hood looking at my wonderful coolant-in-the-combustion-chamber issue, and notice an upper aft bolt is worked it's way out at least a quarter of an inch (not one that I had loc-tited).

What was there before were bolts from Lowe's or Home Depot, and while they were junk, they also did not loosen up.

Would I be better off getting the ARP black oxide bolts? Should I have loc-tited every bolt?

Should I go to Home Depot and buy some bolts?
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2011 at 5:50AM
Sadly I think on my exhaust manifold equipped cars, I just grab HD/Lowes bolts, and actually, I put Never Seize on them.. I always have trouble with those BREAKING, lol.

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2011 at 6:54AM
I bought the header bolts from O'Rielly's.

When I do straight manifold work, I just use Grade 5 or 8 bolts from the hardware store. The thickest washers they have available and ALWAYS use Anti-Sieze on the threads... NEVER loc-tite!!
Never had a problem. 
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2011 at 5:03AM
on manifolds, i just go to the hardware store and buy stainless bolts and lock washers.  NEVER have had a problem with clevelands or 429/460's.
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2011 at 12:15PM
Yea, I think I'm going to go with some Lowe's grade-8's.

ARP has header bolts that are drilled for safety wire. Since I know how to install safety wire from my previous aircraft maintenance days, I thought that would be perfect. The only problem was that they only came in lengths for headers (I need a bit longer for the manifolds).

Safety wired bolts would have been the way to go. A little messy, but effective.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2011 at 2:41PM
I've seen them use locking header bolts on the Powerblock shows on Spike, but I haven't looked into where they bought them. Probably pretty pricey, I'm a cheapskate.
 Post Reply Post Reply