The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 Gran Torino Sport, the Forgotten Ford

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 Gran Torino Sport, the Forgotten Ford
    Posted: 31-January-2006 at 5:04AM

1972 wasn't exactly the zenith of the musclecar movement, yet if you knew what to look for, Detroit was still offering a handful of interesting performance cars as the high-performance era drew to a close. A reflection of the transitioning times in which it was built, Ford's new Gran Torino Sport offered compelling styling and both big- and small block engines, but with sharply lower horsepower ratings. Torino took on a radically different look for 1972, losing 3 inches of wheelbase, but gaining width, length, and height. With lots of body sculpture, the new Torino had the right look fot the times, ringing up sales of almost half a million. A relatively small percentage--31,239--were Gran Torino Sport Notchbacks, while almost twice as many--60,979--were sold with the sleek SportsRoof. Five V-8s were offered but, to illustrate how wacky the musclecar world had become in 1972, the Torino's largest V-8, a low compression, unleaded-fuel-burning 429, weighed in with an enemic 208 net horsepower, much less than the smaller 351 Cobra Jet, essentially a continuation of the earlier 300hp 351 Cleveland, only with a four-bolt block. The cam remained hydraulic, but the compression drop from 11.0:1 to 8.6:1 and the industry-wide switch from gross to net horsepower pegged the 351 CJ's output at 266 hp. In the real world, that 266 horsepower, coupled with the Torino's weight of almost 4,000 pounds, translated into elapsed times in mid-to-high 17s, with trap speeds around 80 mph. Mileage? Try 9-15. Now you know why the gasoline shortages were so distressing. 1972 was also Ford's last go-around for ram air, which was not called out on the body, door tag, or VIN, as in earlier years. As with certain top-performance options from the early '60s, the ram air equipment was delivered in the trunk for dealer installation. The broadcast sheet carried the statement, "Ram Air Ship to dealer." The golden era of performance had come full circle. Interestingly, the Ram Air system for this application is different from the dual-vacuum motor setup on Cobra Jet Mustangs of the same year. This Ram Air setup has a single large vacuum motor located on the top of the air cleaner, and the motor is activated by throttle movement. The hoodscoops are always open with this type of Ram Air. A full optioned to the hilt Gran Torino Sport with both appearance and performance handling options, pushed the sticker price to a lofty $4,751.29. The optional Traction-Lok rearend added (an extra $21.35). The functional Ram Air hoodscoop added $58.24, Icing on the cake was the $442.37 Rally Equipment Group that included:

Instrumentation group (large tach, clock, oil pressure, water temperature, fuel, and ammeter);

Competition suspention with rear stabilizer bar;

14x6-inch wheels;

G70x14 RWL tires;

Four-speed manual with Hurst shifter;

351ci 4V V-8.

Other interesting options are manual disc brakes, rear-window defroster, power steering, and air conditioning. Maybe it didn't pack the crushing horsepower that legends are made of, but the unusual '72 Gran Torino Sport shows, to many enthusiasts, Ford's passion for performance may have been forgotten, but it wasn't gone.

Edited by GranTorinoMan
corder13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corder13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 6:38PM

How do you know if you got the "competition suspension"?  Or did it always come with the rear stabilizer?

On another note, I do have A/C, power steering, the instrument group and rear window defroster!  :)

Rick

GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2006 at 4:53AM

Torino Chasis Upgrades 

Torino's without the competition suspension can be easily upgraded by replacing the mushy rubber bushings with polyethylene is an inexpensive way to sharpen up the handling considerably.

Performance Suspension Components offers kits for Torino. Rear suspension bushing kit (Part No.4-3120) Front suspension bushing kit (Part No.4-3111-G) Strut rod bushing kit (Part No.4-7117). Generously lubricate bushings during assembly with Ford Silicone Dielectric Grease (Part No.D7AZ-19A331-A).

Adding a 1-1/8-inch front anti-sway bar and 1-1/2-inch rear sway bar helps keep the car planted, too; these parts can easily be found on later Thunderbirds and Cougars.   

corder13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corder13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2006 at 5:03AM

Do you mean the 77-79 T-Birds/Cougars?

Rick

GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2006 at 6:41AM
One note of caution with regard to rear anti-sway bars:

I did some research, and the Ford style of rear bar is a bit "unusual". Meaning that finding new or polyurethane bushings are impossible. Your best bet (long shot from what I found) is to find OEM bushing kits... That is if you can find them.

I spoke with an individual, Bruce Stambaugh, who works at the place I ordered my polyurethane bushings from (Suspension Restoration Parts, http://www.suspension.com/ ) and he mentioned about this. It seems as if your best bet (I have not ordered or installed this yet) is to get an aftermarket rear bar which is standard. It will provide the benefit of a larger bar and polyurethane bushings (that you can order replacements for in the future). Attached is a picture from BlueOval, he has the best representation of it.

Remember that when upgrading bar size, you want to upgrade front AND rear, to keep a balance which will minimize dangerous under or over steer.

I found good ones through Addco ( http://www.addco.com/ ), but there may be others.

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2006 at 4:18PM

I have an 1 1/8 rear bar on my 73 GTS which is the same size as the front bar. It came off of a 77 LAPD police LTD II worst thing I can say is the car is a tad stiff, and you can get the tail out with the gas pedal at will in a tight turn, but nothing dangerous. More of a neutral feel I think. Unlike most american cars, I can control it with a little throttle!  

Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2006 at 4:48PM
So for the average driver you would say that size of bar and polyurethane bushings is still safe - ie no over or under steer or uncontrollable urges from the vehicle? I ask because I was planning on similar changes, along with a set of spring I already have from Eaton that are slightly more stiff than original, and I will be using 92 Crown Vic police shocks, although PSquare's Bilsteins are sounding like a better shock, and I might change my mind on that.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2006 at 5:02PM

The best bet, is a 1 1./8" in front, and use a 7/8" front bar, in the rear

As described in "how to make your 72-79 Torino Handle"

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2006 at 12:37AM
Well my 1 1/8 bar has been on my Torino since 1977 and my wife used to drive this car everyday and never once complained about the car being hard to drive. Body roll on this car is almost non-existent. Ford made the bar for police applications i.e. max handling. I have read that book on Torino handling and I was not impressed at all. He didn't tell me anything I didn't already know anyways. Probably doesn't even know about the larger bars offered from 77-79!
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2006 at 8:47AM
Are you refering to the one where the guy rebuilds a 72 Ranchero and cuts 5/8 of a coil off, etc? Yea, I was concerned he was not using polyurethane bushings, yet he was lowering the car and putting stiffer shocks on. Seemed counter-productive when all of the stuff is available and you choose to only use part of the stuff.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2006 at 10:31AM

Yes, that book.

I asked the guy about the police rear bar.. We both (separately) came to the same conclusion.. VERY hard to find.. That's why he never mentioned it. I'm not sure why he didn't use a 1 1/8" in the rear (or a front flipped to the rear).

I've never even seen a 77-79 cop car in person, or the rear bars on ebay. I rate them close to vaporware. I just did what he did and flipped a front bar to the rear and used it 'backwards'. Unless someone has one they want to let go

Addco does make a larger rear bar for the "big cars" (Continental, etc), that I might try actually.

Also, he did use poly bushings all around. I didn't use poly bushings in the strut rods, as I'm a little fearful of them snapping.

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2006 at 2:21PM
You are right they are like hens teeth to find. One of my wholesale accounts at the time was AZ Dept of Public Safety and they had quite a few LTD II police cars , that's how I found out about it. Still I don't recomend cutting coils off of old springs when you can order lowering springs brand new. Guess I forgot how rare those old sway bars really are. lol! Being a parts guy for Ford I used to experiment with quite a few things on my Torino, when parts were easy to order from Ford.

Post Reply Post Reply