The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

351C Build question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilpanther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351C Build question
    Posted: 25-January-2011 at 1:31PM
Hi guy's. I am still looking at getting the 72 Formal roof Gran Torino that I asked you guy's about in November, But I am still trying to save up more money so right now I am just planning out what all I want to do. Right now I am trying to plan out the engine build and I am kind of stuck, I want the engine to have plenty of power but I also want to be able to drive it on the street without any issue. Here is a list that I came up with.

Ford 351C 4V Closed Chambered Head's W/ Screw in Stud's and guide plate's
  • Perfect Circle cast steel piston rings
  • Clevite rod, main, and cam bearings
  • Fel-Pro or Victor-Reinz gasket set
  • Cloyes 3-piece timing set
  • Melling oil pump
  • Sealed Power piston set
  • Steel expansion/freeze plug kit
  • NEW camshaft RV TORKER TORQUE
  • Valve lifter set
Here are the Cam spec's
  • ADV Duration (INT/EXH): 282 / 292
  • Duration @ .050" (INT/EXH): 204 / 214
  • Valve Lift (INT/EXH): .484 / .510
  • Lobe Centerline: 112
  • Power Range: 1200-4700

Edelbrock, Performer, Intake Manifold, Carburetor Holley 600 CFM, Air Cleaner Ford.

A set of 1.73 roller rocker's.
The
Compression ratio should be right around 10.25 :1. Do you guy's think this will be a good set-up for the street? Also, Will I still be able to run on pump gas?
               Thank's.
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2011 at 3:31PM
you should be good on pump gas, worth thing will be to adjust timing. I will say it's more like a week end driver than a regular civic, but i'm pretty sure it's gonna be more than fine
Are you shaving the heads, or get high compression piston to achieve 10.25 to 1

lilpanther View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilpanther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2011 at 4:18PM
Thank's for the reply ilyes. To get the compression I will be using flat top piston's with 62.8 CC combustion chamber 4V head's. These are the piston's. http://motorpartscentral.com/ProductModelDetail.cfm?ProductModelId=15092

Will the 4V head's be ok for the street? I have read that they aren't too great on the street but I wanted to know what everyone here thought about them. Thank's. One last thing, Will the Holley 600 be enough or do I need a bigger carb? Thank's again.

Edited by lilpanther - 25-January-2011 at 4:25PM
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2011 at 4:50PM
no need for 4V heads with such a mild cam / build.

you're figuring 10.24:1 for the CR, are you planning to bore it .060" over?
at .030" you looking at about 10.1:1, not a big difference, just wondering why you're looking at the .060" CR figure?

whether it'll like pump gas depends upon the dynamic CR of the build, the calculation requires the Intake Valve Closing Point in degrees ABDC @ 0.050 lift

but just 'off the cuff' that's a pretty short duration cam to be running closed chambers, and thus the need to see what the DCR is gonna be 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilpanther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2011 at 5:15PM
Oop's, The engine will be stock bore, So it will be 9.99:1. If that cam is too mild, What size would you recommend to use? I wanted to use 4V head's because I want atleast a 10:1 compression ratio and I can get the 4V head's with screw in stud's, SS valve's, 3 Angle valve job for cheaper than I set of Aussie head's. Thank's for the help.

Edited by lilpanther - 25-January-2011 at 5:16PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2011 at 6:21AM
i did a calculation with a generic 484/510 204/214 cam and it came out a little high for pump premium, but it's not the exact cam that you're spec'ing

what brand is the cam you listed? and can we find the exact IVC @ .050"?

there's also a trick to reduce the DCR a tad if it's just on the edge

here's a read on DCR and octane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2011 at 7:21AM
i just looked at the Edelbrock 2172 cam and it's the same as the generic i used, it came out right at 9:1 DCR

open chamber heads with the same cam figured to 7.73:1 DCR, just inside the low end for 91 octane according to the article

static CR isn't the only way to control / create power from an engine. a lot of late model engines are running in the 10:1 ballpark but they have electronic computer controlled timing that can make timing adjustments to control knock depending upon octane, load, temp... most of our cars aren't going to have that luxury

kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2011 at 7:40AM

Can I ask why you are "sold" on the steel frost/ expansion plugs ?

I would have thought brass would be better

1973 Q code sports roof

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilpanther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2011 at 9:57AM
Thank's for the help Rockatansky. By the way, Pump premium around here is 93 octane. The cam was a melling MTF-4, And i'm not sure where to find the exact ivc at. Kenneth, Those are just the freeze plug's that come with the rebuild kit I was looking at using. Basicly I want to get 400hp out of the 351C but i'm not sure how too do it with this motor. Do you guy's have any idea's of a 351C build that would make 400hp with Aussie head's? Thank's for all the help guy's.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2011 at 10:07AM
Jon Kaase's response to 'How to Make 400 HP?' was 'Take any good Cleveland and start pulling plug wires off until it makes 400 HP'

but that cam ain't gonna do it. hold tight i have some links, the 4V CC heads will work in the recipe

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilpanther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2011 at 10:10AM
Thank's Rockatansky, I figured that cam might not do it. I just wasn't sure how big of a cam I could go with. I can use either 4v or aussie head's, Which do you think would be better? Thank's again, Justin.
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2011 at 12:04PM

Rockatansky has been a massive help to me as well , I am still in the research with mine and have made no commitments yet , currently investigating hydraulic roller cam and link bar roller lifters .

1973 Q code sports roof

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2011 at 12:47PM
 Post Reply Post Reply