The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

74 GTS Starsky replica

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 74 GTS Starsky replica
    Posted: 28-February-2011 at 1:18AM
Hi everyone, finally decided to start my own thread for my 74 Starsky replica. I was going to post a "hello" on the welcome mat having realised I never done so (possibly a bit late now since I have already posted a few times) but thought rather than repeat myself, I would just start this thread.

So... from the top....

My name is James, I live in Liverpool, England, and back in October 2009 at the ripe old age of 35, I bought a car I have wanted since I was a kid watching TV on a Saturday evening. I discovered a website www.starskytorino.com  back in the late 90's and realised that these cars actually do exist 20+ years later, and are available to everyday people and not just TV land. I nearly bought a few cars over the years but ended up spending the money on other stuff. I loaned both my sisters a few thousand each to buy cars, they were both student nurses and needed transport but had no money to buy their own cars. Then I blew all my savings on an engagement ring, then an apartment. My claim to fame was nearly buying a 74 Torino from a guy in New Jersey who owns a stunning LE and an actual TV car. The car had 1874 miles from new, had no rust and was getting the Starsky treatment. I ended up spending the money on a house and the car ended up being the hero car for the Movie.
I was made redundant some years ago, but received a decent pay out, and luckily walked straight into another job. My wife said I could get a car if one came up for a decent price. Anyway,  a car came up on ebay in the UK, it had had a full frame off resto done some years back (detective Brent Williams' car for those in the know). There was 2 people in the bidding, myself and someone called Sam. I spoke to a guy in London who bought a LE from under my nose some years back . He and a friend of his actually imported 2 Torino's to the UK and converted them into 2 Starsky replicas' following all the hype after the movie. He told me that he knew Sam, and that Sam had wanted that particular car for years and had the resources to out bid me. Sam lived less than 1 hour from me and actually owned one of the cars the guy in London imported and converted. He gave me Sam's number and suggested I go and visit him to see an actual Torino in person as I had only seen them on TV. I called Sam and drove to his house that evening. He had a 1974 Gran Torino Sport with 70k miles from new. The car was rust free, had a newly rebuilt 351w and a load of receipts. Sam was really friendly and passionate about the car and had really looked after it in the 4 years he owned it. I knew he would be able to outbid me on ebay and he said that he didn't need 2 Torinos and he offered to sell me the one he currently owned. I went away and had a think, called back a few weeks later and sealed the deal.

I noticed on the drive home that the courtesy light in the centre console wasn't working, so I decided that I would fix it when I got home. Well, one thing led to another, and I have been tinkering with stuff ever since.
I will post up pics of the work I have been doing. To be honest nothing major like some of you guys, just cleaning, tidying, and a couple of other changes. I took a load of pics (like you guys I love looking at other peoples cars) so will be able to do before and after shots. The order might be a bit eratic as I stored the pics on different PC's and different memory cards. The guy in London has promised me all the build pics but hasn't had the time yet. As soon as I get them I will post them also.
shanefolsom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanefolsom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2011 at 1:36AM
Love the car!  Looks great.
1976 Gran Torino Limited #1
1976 Gran Torino Limited #2
1973 Gran Torino Sport
1969 Roadrunner
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2011 at 4:24AM
Cool story
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
little jimmy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2011 at 11:26AM
You know when you go to fix 1 itsy bitsy tiny little thing which no-one else would notice, but YOU know its wrong and so YOU just have to fix it, and then 1 thing leads to another and before long you're in a world of hurt... You know, the "why didn't I just leave things alone" feelin, well I think I'm there !!

On the drive home from picking up the car nearly 18 months ago, I noticed that the centre console courtesy light didn't work when you open the lid. Pah!, only a bulb me thinks, thats a quick fix. Well thats what started it, the God damn console light and the quick fix wasn't as quick as I thought.

Here is the first lot of pics of the work I have done so far. Nothing major, just cleaning and making nice various bits. Sorry if the order is a bit erratic, but hopefully you like the pics.

some before and after shots

Some shote of the engine once I started working on it. I can't find the memory card with the other "before" pics. First job was to remove the hood, get the hinges powder coated and re-wrap the wiring loom (old wrap was all split with wires hanging out) I had already removed the wiper motor and cleaned a lot of crap off the firewall at this point.

Will sort out some more pics and post when I can.

Edited by little jimmy - 04-March-2011 at 11:28AM
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2011 at 3:43PM
Very cool. I know what you mean about the little fixes turning into a big project. My F-250 project was an intake manifold gasket turned science project.

Look forward to seeing more!
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2011 at 3:48PM
looks good and MANY of us are the same way.

My Tbird started as a set of sparkplugs and wires and now is a full blown rebuild!
Gas tank, fuel pump, CUSTOM dual exhaust, headers, ported heads, ARP studs, complete short block bored 30 over, rods, pistons, cam, chain etc etc etc....
now $3,000 plus later... lol
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2011 at 10:35AM
Started to remove more parts for cleaning. Hope I remember how it goes back together. I am in 2 minds whether or not to remove the engine and repaint it (no hoist or room no mechanical knowledge) or try and repaint what I can whilst its still in the car. Do you have to take out the engine and transmission together or can you just remove the engine? 
How do you get the following parts off? (and the large wheel below that goes on the harmonic balancer)

I can see how this whole unit comes off but how do you remove the pulley/wheel. Do you just need to stop the wheel turning and undo the centre bolt?

Thanks

James

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2011 at 9:25PM
AAAAARRRGGGHHHHH.  SON OF A BITCH !!!

I bought my car in October 2009 and started ordering various parts I needed/wanted. The guy my  Father in law works for gets shipments from the US every few months for his business. He said that I could get all my stuff delivered to his friend in Omaha Nebraska, and when his next shipment was due , he would put it in with his stuff so I wouldn't have to pay for international shipping. Good deal and was really greatful, only problem was I may have to wait a few months for his stuff to ship. I wasn't in any immediate rush so I was happy to wait.

I found out recently that after several "oh the guy said he forgot to send your stuff on the most recent shipment" and "shouldn't be too long now"  the guy in Omaha who was holding both my stuff and the father in laws boss's stuff has gone bust.

Yesterday I was told I would probably never see my stuff and to write it all off. $800 down the drain !!! I feel really awful for the father in laws boss, because he has lost a hell of a lot more than me but its so frustrating. If I had got the stuff shipped direct to me then it would have cost more but at least I would have it now.

All the guys assets have been frozen and they are apparently getting sold off to try and pay back the people he owes money to, and that includes my stuff.

I have all the receipts from Ebay and Summit racing to prove its mine and I feel like flying out there with an empty suitcase and taking it back. 

Sorry about ranting to you guys, all the wife says is "I knew something like that would happen, I told you you should have just had it shipped direct to you, don't think your going and buying it all over again cos we haven't got the money".

On a lighter note, I did manage to install an extra wire from the dome lamp across inside the headliner down the rear quarter/sail panel and under the carpet to the fuse box under the dash. I can now install my upgraded dome/map light into the car.
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2011 at 5:36AM
James-
Do you have the contact information for the guy in Omaha?
I live here in Omaha, NE, and I could always go knock on the door {and a knee cap or two...}

I've heard of things like this happening before, and I feel for you man.

Edited by Eliteman76 - 21-June-2011 at 5:36AM
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2011 at 10:02AM
yah give Andy the guys address,he can make a friendly visit and retrieve your stuff or if the guy is a jerk,unfriendly visit cause Andy is a big dude and might even scare the guy just by showing up on his doorstep

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2011 at 8:29PM
I might just take you up on that offer.Ouch 
I am only going on what my father in law told me, which is what his boss told him, so that description of the situation may not be 100% accurate. The father in laws boss has built his own business from scratch and is good at what he does so he won't roll over without a fight. He is probably doing all he can to get his own stuff (and mine hopefully). I would love to turn up on the doorstep to errr... "convince the guy" to hand over my stuff but I wouldn't want to make things difficult for my father in law with his boss cos he is a really nice boss.
But, if you are interested, the place I got all the stuff delivered is
The Flying Worm
1125 Jackson Street
68102-2824

I think it is a small shop, or an apartment above a shop or just somewhere the guy collects stuff from to store somewhere else (can't tell from google street view)
Starsky74Torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starsky74Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2012 at 11:09AM
You do have a lovely car and I hope not to offend but down the Pub the digbats wankers and walley's will snigger that its not done right.... remove the puff trim down the side.
As a former brit I would reccomend you either change the trim moulding down the side OR replace the cool proper mirrors with the big arse chrome one's... since your car does not fit into any of the TV show versions..
Really glad you could bother yourself to join us here..
happy motoring
Justin
 Post Reply Post Reply