The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

429 Motor mounts for 72 Torino?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 429 Motor mounts for 72 Torino?
    Posted: 17-March-2011 at 3:34AM
Well it seems when they did the motor swap from the Q code Cleveland to the 69 429 2v in my 72 GTS they never put correct mounts and the enging is not bolted in and sits on one of the ears of the 429 mounts on top of the crossmember.I read the old post from 2004 which is locked and it said Dearborn Classics sells them but they only sell a conversion mount and it cost $200 for the 429-460 swap into a 72 Torino.Did the original 72-73 429 N Code cars have a different crossmember then the small block cars? They list RH & LH mounts for the small blocks and the 351M -400 but only have the 429 mounts for pre 72 Torino's and I know Ford installed the 429 into 72 Torino's so what did they use for mounts?If the crossmembef ks different in bi bock cars that would explain.I need to know where I can get correct mounts or even conversion mounts that are not high priced like DearBorn Classics as my motor is not tied down and just resting on the crossmember but the mount doesnkt stradle it so all the weight is on one ear and that metal is not real thick.In the old thread someone suggested old Lincoln Marks with 460 but don't know if the crossmember would even be the same on the early 70's Mark IV as the frame is diffferent but there is a 74-75 Mark IV in the local junmyard that has a 460 but trans is gone so might be impossible without and en ine lift to just jack up engine and remove mounts and all that for mounts that might not even work in a 72 Torino plus they are used.I may just modiffy the mounts for time bein till I can afford expensive conversion mounts but hope there is just a bolt on version for about $60-75 For the pair but I need to know where to get them or a Ford or other Part #NHelp would be most appreciated in this matter.Thanks
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2011 at 3:41AM
The frames should be all the same. Im betting you have full size car mounts (which are available new still) there. They bolt directly to the engine block and wheninstalled in a midsized frame, the ears don't quite reach down to where the bolt should pass through the cross member. Been there done that. 

The cross member for the transmission is also identical. 

Two options.

OEM mounts and stands (ebay, here, DVAP, etc)
Crites kit.

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2011 at 4:27AM
I thought there was a big discussion in one other thread on the motor mounts for the big block?
Maybe it was in someone's rebuild thread?

Yes Jeff unfortunately these mounts are scarce and cost some duckies to buy.
the frames are the same so no issues there.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
orlnslloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orlnslloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2011 at 7:17AM
If the ones in the junkyard look like these, they will work. 
'72, GTSFB, 460, C6, 3.70
CheeseSteakJim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CheeseSteakJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2011 at 7:36AM
I saw a while back there was a thread about the difference between the Crites kit and the stock mounts. Someone mentioned the possibility of one set of mounts sitting the engine higher than the other set of mounts. Was it ever figured out if that was true or not? Anyone remember the specifics? I can't seem to find the thread, offhand.
VorbottenO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VorbottenO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2011 at 2:59PM
The Crites do sit slightly higher than the original but not more than a 1/4 inch.
The only thing I noticed is that when using headers they get pretty close to the trans cross member but still clear.
Eric
72GTS-Ncode (429-477ci)

Blueoval76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2011 at 3:52PM
I am almost positive that Ron Earp was the thread that compared the Crites and I think stock mounts. Finding these is going to be a big challenge finding stock mounts in good condition. I would suggest the Crites as its the only repo I know of made. I had a set of factory Ford replacements that came with my car but have since sold them. I let them go pretty cheap ($100) since I have yet ever to come across factory replacements in mint condition like mine were!!!
Good luck in your search and I will keep my eyes open for a set.
68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods
CheeseSteakJim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CheeseSteakJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2011 at 5:43PM
Originally posted by VorbottenO VorbottenO wrote:

The Crites do sit slightly higher than the original but not more than a 1/4 inch.
The only thing I noticed is that when using headers they get pretty close to the trans cross member but still clear.

Oh, I thought the height difference was considerably more than that. Good to hear, guess I'll just buy the Crites kit when it's time to swap motors. Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orlnslloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2011 at 5:46PM
'73-76 Mark IV will have them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orlnslloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2011 at 5:47PM
Wow! Sorry for the super big pic.
torkair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torkair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2011 at 7:52PM
The mounts from a 72-76 Thunderbird should work just fine and can be had from most parts stores for around $50 a piece.
72 Gran Torino "sport"- in progress

73 Ranchero GT- Q code-460/C6/3.25 open rear
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2011 at 1:01PM
Well maybe when I have a few bucks I'll take a trip out to the junkyard and see if there is a way to get the mounts from the Mark IV that is there ,ut not sure cause there is no trans so nothing will be holding the back of the engine so without a hoist it might be too dangerous to just jack up the engine.It would be nice to have some stock mounts to atleast measure from as I am thinking I might fabricate some solid motor mounts or adapt the ones on the motor to be able to bolt it to the crossmember.Just wondering that photo above shows 3 pieces for the mount so how does it all fit together? Do you bolt one part to the block and other to crossmember then when the parts are aligned with the engine sitting in the car you bolt them together and I don't see a rubber insulater or is that an old mount that has fallen apart and insulater is gone?
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2011 at 1:14PM
top piece pictured is the rubber insulator. then a heat shield, then engine bracket. 
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2011 at 1:22PM

Jeff,

call me when you get a chance.
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orlnslloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2011 at 1:51PM
Originally posted by torkair torkair wrote:

The mounts from a 72-76 Thunderbird should work just fine and can be had from most parts stores for around $50 a piece.

72-76 TBird are the same as the ones in my pic. There is a part #6031 in the pic that ya can't get from the parts store. The insulators, base part#6038, were serviced in stores, but not anymore.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2011 at 2:43PM
The mounts I used in my Cougar are from a 72 Tbird I believe.. Not sure of the year, the nose was off of it. 
Paul
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2011 at 3:38AM
Thanks for all the input everyone and Thanks Paul now I can see the insulater is facing up with the 2 ears that stradle the crossmember and bolt goes thru so you would flip that over then the heat shield goes on then the 2 studs from the motor bracket go into the 2 holes on the insulater with nuts.Thanks cause at first I couldn't figure out how it went together and because the bottom of the insulater was facing up it threw me off and it looked like steel bracket till I zoomed in closer.Sometimes only viewing from a small screen makes it hard to figure out certain photos cause you get a much better picture with a computer screen. Thanks all for the help,now the dilema is to find stock ones in good condition,fabricate solid mounts or spend the big money on the adapter mounts like Crites
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2011 at 3:49AM
Jeff, Make a flat plate with down-turned ears out of 1/4" or 3/8" steel with holes through it so it bolts to the frame. Use the plate that is there on the motor. Set the engine at the height you want it to clear the subframe and ensure it is centered side to side. Also make sure the rear tranny mount is lined up or bolted inplace. You can set the haight and location with wood blocks or something between the frame and oil pan.

then you just have to fab a couple pieces of the same plate steel from the block mount to the frame plate you made. Make sure you can get at the bolts on the motor plate. A couple tack welds, remove the plates and weld something up.

Fairly easy operation. Now IF you want something rubber mounted... A LITTLE harder to do. More research finding a rubber mount that will work.

Same concept on the frame just make the plate sit horizontal flat with a hole to let the rubber mount drop down through. The block plate would do the same, be flat on the top for that plate to drop onto the top bolt of the rubber mount.

Another route is use a rubber mount bolted to the fabbed block plate with a notch cut in the frame so the mount can slide into the hole and the nut applied from underneath. IF I remember right some Chevy's do it this way?
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2011 at 3:51AM
Jeff with my ingenuitity, creative mind and mad skillz yo! Plus yours... we will do well!
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2011 at 4:16AM
Have to look what these yo yo's did when they installed it,possibly the motor is too far forward as the one ear it sits on is towards the rear of the crossmembe and the motor is cocked to one side slightlyHavenkt jacked up the car yeg to look underneath at thr trans crossmember and tranny mount and look at how far the driveshaft is in on the tailshaft to see if it is possible to set the motor back cause if it did fit and no bolts were put thru the crossmember the motor could have popped up and forward if it was just resting on the mounts but did fit in place.Now that I see how the mounts in the photo are I need to look at what these mounts are
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2011 at 4:41AM
Just jacked up the car and the tranny mount is at the back of the slots in the crossmember so it isnKt going anywhere.The motor mounts have insulaters and are bolted to the block with the 3 bolts but the 2 ears are alot wider then the Torino crossmember and somewhat shorter in depth cause I see the holes in Torino crossmember where the mounts bolt to. No worries for now as they welded the 2 back ears to the crossmember and why the engine doesn't move but the mounts are different and not sure what they are from.The rubber insulaters look in good condition and it might be possible to cut the mounts loose then take them out and just modify the bottom where it bolts to crossmember I might be able to put the mount partially submerged in wLater and mig weld a new plate for the crossmember without getting the rubber too hot and melting it or weaken it but for now I'll leave kt alone till ready to deal with the motor as it is welded to the crossmember which I thought it might be cause with all the brake torque wheel spins I di the motor would have jumped up big time.I will check out those Lincoln Mark IV mounts in the junkyard to see if they are like the ones in the photo above.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2011 at 9:57AM
Originally posted by orlnslloyd orlnslloyd wrote:

If the ones in the junkyard look like these, they will work.
     Got a set of these mounts today off a 74-75 Lincoln Mark IV w/460 at a local U Pull it yard for $20 With all the bolts and rubber is still in good condition.Heck of alot cheaper then the adapter mounts that Dearborn Classics sells for $200 plus shipping.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orlnslloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2011 at 10:41AM
Those will work. That is what I have on my '72.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2011 at 11:05AM
Ya,After reading this thread I was somewhat depressed as I didnKt think I woulf find any especially in good condition.Thank you for posting the photo of these mounts cause atleast I knew what I was looking for and it helps when you know what they look like when you come acrossed them to know they will work.Took me a few hours as the car had no trans so jacking up the motor was somewhat scary but I got them and I appreciate your knowledge of the big blocks. Still have to do the water pump install that I bought offf you but wanted to paint the motor and now I can cause I cut the welded mount lose and raise the engine or pull it out and clean it up then put back in till I can afford the rebuild.It willbe nice to have correct mounts many thanks for all the help

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orlnslloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2011 at 11:47AM
Your welcome, Jeff. Glad to help another Torino guy. And, I would buy up all you can at $20.00! Damn good price.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2011 at 12:45PM
Yah it was a good price and would have paid more if I had to cause I know they would be under $50 At a junkyard and even that would be worth it as those aftermarket mounts are pricey.Kinda ashame that parts suppliers no longer carry these style mounts but if so no way could I have gotten them for 20 bucks.Believe me I was a happy camper when I got them today.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orlnslloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2011 at 12:56PM
Concerning parts suppliers, at one time I was able to buy the insulators.  Then only one side. Then, somehow, the wrong parts had been substituted. I think someone thought the one they try to sell now would work, so the correct one was dropped.
Still have some block plates and no insulators. I just use them on a spare engine and switch the insulators.
73Torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2011 at 10:58AM
I just bought a 69 429 2v out of a Grand Marquis to put into my 73 Torino. Ive been reading on here and I was just wondering what years/models had the 429/460 to look at for mounts? 429/460 Torinos, Rancheros, cougars, T birds, and Lincolns? Or are there other ones?

There is a vintage junkyard located about 40 miles away from me with a very large selection of FoMoCo cars and trucks and I'm hoping I can find all the parts I need for this swap. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.Smile

1973 base model Torino
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2011 at 2:22PM
Read ,72 GTS 429'S  Apr 25th 2011 post , that will work for you.
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2011 at 9:48AM
I think you just about covered it it has to have the same basic platform as the Torino and all you mentioned have that
 Post Reply Post Reply