The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FMX to C4 swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corder13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FMX to C4 swap
    Posted: 12-March-2006 at 12:21AM

I read somewhere on the Ford Transmission Forum that the crossmember for a C4 is different than the one for an FMX.  Does anyone know for sure if that is correct for our cars?  I already have a built C4 to go in the car, and the shop up the road will do it.  However, I'd like to make sure that all the pieces they need will be there when they do it, so I can get it licensed immediately afterwards.

Also, I read on the same forum that the driveline length was not a problem, so I'm guessing they're fairly similar in length as well?

Rick

Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2006 at 2:29AM
    The X-member is the same no matter what trans, however the trans mount is different for the C-4 so go to your auto supply and get one for a C-4. Gary
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
corder13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corder13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2006 at 8:59AM

Gary,

Thanks for the reply.  Any idea if the trannies are actually the same length?

Rick

Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2006 at 12:45AM
    The C-4 uses a shorter a shorter drive shaft a believe about an inch. C-4 has 28 spline yoke FMX is 31 spline
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
corder13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corder13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2006 at 9:01AM
Ok, thanks!  Now all I need to do is find a yoke.  My grandfather said he'd take care of the driveshaft for me. 

Rick
 Post Reply Post Reply