The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carb bogs down when leaving stop sign

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregs72Sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb bogs down when leaving stop sign
    Posted: 13-March-2006 at 4:10PM
I am a novice when it comes to carbs! I always have visions of a million springs flying thru the air even if I get close. I bought a 72 Gran Torino not to long ago. It has the original 2BBL carb. I would like to upgrade to a small 4BBL as money allows but for now the 2BBL will have to do. Trouble is when I go to leave a stop sign or light and press on the gas the car will bog down to the point of almost stalling and then it takes hold and goes. Once its past that point it runs fine and when at idle its ok as well. Any ideas as to what is making it do this? Autozone has a Champion carb to fit the car for about 150.00. Wondering if its best to just replace the one on the car, it is 34 years old. Greg
SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2006 at 6:47AM

I HAD THIS PROBLEM W/ A CORDOBA YEARS BACK.  I CHANGED ALL OF THE VACUUM HOSES, AND IT HELPED ALOT.  I WOULD SUGGEST GETTING A VACUUM GUAGE AND SEE THIS LINK.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/ergoff/vac1.htm

ALSO, GO HERE TO READ UP ON YOUR CARB. 

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Ebubbaf250/2150carb/carb01.html

A CAN OF CARB CLEANER, SPRAYED AROUND THE ENGINE BAY WHILE THE ENGINE IS RUNNING WILL HELP LOCATE VACUUM LEAKS. LISTEN FOR THE RPM'S TO GO UP WHEN YOU SPRAY AROUND ONE.  IDLE MIXTURE SCREWS SHOULD BE TURNED IN TO ABOUT 1 1/2 TURNS OUT, THEN TURNED OUT UNTIL THE HIGHEST READING ON THE VACUUM GUAGE IS ATTAINED.  CHECK TIMING.  HOPE THIS HELPS.  GOOD LUCK.

1976 ELITE, 71 429 w/cam, quadrajet, 4 wheel Mark V disc brakes, 3.25 trac lok, gutted & 12.9'd Mustang steering box
bjohnm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjohnm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2006 at 1:10PM

Hi Greg, I have just about the same setup as you, 72 GTS, 400 engine, c6 tranny, 2bbl carb. I found a whole lot of good info at this site. Good luck.  John M.

http://home.earthlink.net/~bubbaf250/parts/parts02.html

http://home.earthlink.net/~bubbaf250/2150carb/carb01.html

GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2006 at 2:10PM
You should set your distributor for the optimum curve using your centrifugal and vacuum advance. Upgrading your ignition system to an MSD or anything that will give you a hotter spark would help a lot. With the hotter spark, you can increase the gap of your spark plugs from .035 to .060 which will eliminate bog and hesitation and will make your engine smoother and stronger over the entire driving cycle.        
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2006 at 1:11AM
   Sounds like a bad accelerator pump diaphram could be your problem. check that first.
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
Gregs72Sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregs72Sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2006 at 1:17PM
Thanks everyone. I checked out some of the links above and I think I may try to rebuild the one I have. Sounds like this 2BBL is a good one for a novice like me to try. I had a friend of mine tell me about a accelerator pump as well. This car had set in a garage for about 15 years. The gas tank was removed and cleaned but I would imagine a lot of crud got into the carb plus the carb would have set dry for years. When I first got the car the guy told me that he had let the car set nose down in the driveway and that gas had filled the number one cylinder. It had just run thru the fuel line thru the carb and into the cylinder thru gravity. So that leads me to think there is something wrong in that carb other than the engine boging down (like its flooding itself out) when its running and accelerating. Greg
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2006 at 12:45AM
     One other thing to check is the filter in the fuel tank it mounts on the end of the sending unit they are known to collapse under accelleration when they get old. You can still get them from Ford or repro shops.
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply