Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

460+c6 Swap.. as one?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 460+c6 Swap.. as one?
    Posted: 20-April-2011 at 5:31PM
So whenever I've done a 460/c6 into a midsize, I either have the nose off, allowing me to slide the assembly in from the front, or I end up doing the engine from the top, and the transmission from the bottom, separately. 

Question of the day (night). Are these doable as a unit, with the nose on the car? Confused I'd hate to bolt it all together only to have to separate it. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2011 at 6:18PM
anything's possible but why?

you'll need the picker max'd out on boom length and probably max'd for height too

last time i set a motor & trans i dropped the trans into the engine bay using the picker, onto a small piece of plywood on my floor jack which was in the right place to be under the pan when the trans was in position. the plywood spanned the engine crossmember to the jack to slide the trans back to make the mount nuts.

with the mount bolts made but loose pull the plywood out, jack up the trans to receive the motor. when the motor & trans mate, bolt them together & drop the jack out, mount the starter & get your headers in place then lower the picker & make the motor mounts & tighten converter

did it by myself in a parking lot with zero drama, probably took less than 1/2 hr

Edited by Rockatansky - 20-April-2011 at 6:19PM
72 GT Ute

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2011 at 6:45PM
Because I'm 6'1 and 155 lbs, and doing a transmission myself is out of the question, lol. 

Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2011 at 2:17AM
Well you would need a heavy duty engine lift and have the front of th car on stands so you have room to stab the trans down in but it is possible to do.Trick is to have the front jacked up but not too high that the picker can't lift the motor high enough to clear the nose.<epending on how high the picker you use can lift,sometimes you have to start the trans down in the hole then carefully jack the front of the car up while making sure it clears then set jack stands to hold the front up as you will need jack to lift the trans up w ile you lower the motor into place.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2011 at 2:53AM

I've got a load leveler. Just wasn't sure if anyone can verify they have done it. Yet again I get to blaze new trails on GTS.org, ha. 
Paul
Blueoval76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2011 at 3:14AM
Dont know how much longer the 460 is but I did it with the 302 C6 I had in my 75. Also used the load leveler and it worked perfect. No rad or front acc were there, but did have the water pump attched.
68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2011 at 5:26AM
no muscle involved at all in my method

how much easier than setting the trans onto the jack with picker can it get?

the picker chain can be repositioned from bell & tail wrap to just the top 2 bell bolts to take the weight while you slide the trans back to the mount

all i can say is that it was the easiest & fastest time i've ever done a motor & trans install, by myself & out in a parking lot to boot
72 GT Ute

GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2011 at 6:13AM
I did a 400 w/C6 about 10 years ago into my 76 Elite with only the hood off. Had to jack the car if I remember, and the hoist was a heavier one that would go higher and reach farther (ie NOT Harbor Freight), but it did work... Although the tailshaft may have touched/dragged the ground a bit. Don't know if that ever had an ill effect since the damn engine lasted only 7,000 miles anyway (can you still detect the angst in my words over that?).

But anyway, a 400/C6 was a tight fit. 460 is prob similar in stature, just a little more fluff around the middle, would prob work but again really close.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
76 cougar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76 cougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2011 at 8:46AM
It will go, I've done it 3 or 4 times with 460/c6. The front end does need to be up. I had 6x6 wood blocks under my front tires and the tail cone set on my creeper to roll back.
76 one owner Factory 460/moonroof cougar
1975 ford 2600
97 jeep TJ
96 jeep cherokee
2000 ford f350

JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2011 at 7:08AM
Mine was painful with a lower capacity hoist the first and only time I tried it.  Folks standing on the hoist to keep it from tipping, car on stands and oil pan hitting rad support, while trans hitting firewall, while tailshaft hitting ground..   Eventually did it but it was awful..

I use a similar method as Rockatansky for the trans, but usually end up rolling it up on to the jack under the car...  I've done my trans alone probably 6 times since 1992..  I will say, the C6 (wet) is kinda heavy on your chest or on your hand while under the car on concrete.  
I use studs for my two upper trans bolts now.  Super easy on or off..

Jim
1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
VorbottenO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VorbottenO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2011 at 9:48AM
Definitely can be done as an assembly.
My need to remove valve covers especially if it is a A/C car). Also, take you trans fill tube out or it will be smashed against the firewall. Also make sure the radiator is out, no fan installed, if you are using headers set them in position in the car first, also remove fire wall things like vacuum can.
Will need a leveler and 2.5 ton hoist fully extended.
Eric
72GTS-Ncode (429-477ci)

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2011 at 2:11PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

anything's possible but why?
 did it by myself in a parking lot with zero drama, probably took less than 1/2 hr

I don't know whether to salute you or call BS. LOL

5 or 6 hours later, I got them in separately, with help. The mounts were the hold up. I think this Cougar has Crites mounts. Looks like a full size car mount, that had the ears cut off, and a U shaped bracket that was welded together, was bolted to the rubber mount with one bolt. The previous owner did say the mounts were from "Total Performance". I think that's what Crites used to call themselves? 

Anyway, what a PITA! These mounts make the negine sit LOW in the chassis, as well. 
Paul

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2011 at 8:17PM
IDK, it just went smooth for me that time, no hitches at all. i pulled that same engine out last week and it gave a little struggle with a converter stud hanging up in the flex hole, and i had a hard time getting the mounts above the crossmember too. 

just 30 seconds before finding this post i was hoping to heck that i didn't mess up the snout or the pump, then i came to the conclusion that i should swap that trans anyway because when the cooler line drained backwards there was a LOT of metal pouring out of the in-line filter. ever since seeing the steel mill shavings i've been wondering if there's a thrust missing in that Wide Ratio C6 build? maybe time to set up the Toploader and find out how messed up it is, then i can put the old 'stock' C6 back in while i work on the W/R and the 4 speed

but yeah it seems that the way the engine came out this time it'd be a bear going back in too?

72 GT Ute

76 cougar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76 cougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2011 at 11:52AM
psquare what headers are you using with those motor mounts? Wondering about hookers working with those mounts.
76 one owner Factory 460/moonroof cougar
1975 ford 2600
97 jeep TJ
96 jeep cherokee
2000 ford f350

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2011 at 3:38PM
Hooker super comps. These headers and these mounts fit like ass. The pipes are pretty much for all intents, on the frame rails.
 I get to spend tomorrow trying to get the headers lined up to the engine. Plan is to undo the engine from the frame, lift it, bolt the headers on, and drop it all down. If it came out, it must go back in right? heh. 

Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply