The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Temporary Push Button Start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwacho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Temporary Push Button Start
    Posted: 09-May-2011 at 10:44AM
I was wondering if anyone knew how to wire up a temporary push button start for a 1972 Gran Torino? I recently took the ignition box out due to it not working properly. I would try to start my car and it would keep trying to turn over even though I turned the ignioton cylinder back and took the key out. I have ordered a new ignition box but its on back order. I have looked all over and found many different ways to install a push botton start. Just thought I would come to the best source (here) and see what I could get. thanks
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 2:56PM
sounds like you may have fender mounted starter solenoid sticking.more common than the column mounted ignition switch going bad.pull the coil ignition wire out of the coil,with someone in the driver seat,have them crank the car over and release the key.If the car continues to crank over,pull the red/blue wire off the fender starter solenoid,if the starter still turns, the solenoid is sticking.If not, then the column mounted switch is probably bad.if you just want to make the car run with faulty solenoid,turn key to the run position.and with jumper cables.jumper positive post of battery to starter cable lug at the fender mounted solenoid when car starts remove the jumper cable to stop starter from cranking after start-up.just make sure car is in park/neutral while doing this.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
jwacho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwacho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2011 at 6:19AM
When the incident first happened it killed the starter solenoid, so I bought a new one and replaced it. The problem still occured.
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2011 at 2:21PM
make sure that the metal rod that activates the switch is returning to the run position,the return spring in the switch pushs the switch to the run position,when you release the key from the crank position.just make sure the switch isn't mechanical held on,when you replace the switch.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
jwacho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwacho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2011 at 7:35PM
As of right now I have the dash all apart and can watch the rod move freely as I turn the key. I have the negative off the battery because it keeps trying to start everytime I put it on the negative back on. I am puzzled on what is wrong with it. I put in a new ignition cylinder, starter sylnoid, and starter.
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2011 at 12:22AM
Are you sure that the starter/solenoid wiring is correct? Should have the positive cable to one stud with the ignition and body cables on that side as well. The starter cable should be on the other large stud. The signal from the ignition switch should be attached to the post on top closer to where the positive cable attaches. Also, have you checked to see if the switch to starter cable is rubbing on the frame or exhaust manifold?

This is how my '76 is set up...
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2011 at 12:04PM
occupant,nice schematic.Jwacho,if you has the car wired as the pix,and it still cranks over when you connect to bat cables,try removing the ignition trigger wire off the solenoid,should be a push on connection,if the car still cranks with the red/blue wire(ignition trigger)off,the solenoid is faulty.If it doesn't crank with the wire off,then some how you have voltage on that red/blue wire,should only be power on that wire while turn the ignition key to the crank(start) position.my guess with a new solenoid and ign switch is that like occupant suggested that it may be wired incorrectly.if you find it easier snap and post some pix of the bat/solenoid wiring so we could see what you have.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2011 at 12:08PM

Jwacho,was readin over your post.you said you replaced the ign cylinder, solenoid and starter.did you mean ignition switch,rather then ignition cylinder?Confused

John 75Gran Torino 4spd
jwacho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwacho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2011 at 12:25PM
I replaced the ignition switch. I have a new ignition cylinder and am going to try it out
jwacho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwacho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2011 at 12:31PM
I just pulled the ignition trigger off and put the negative back on and it still tried to start.
73 GT Sport 429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 GT Sport 429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2011 at 2:27PM
Joe, if you have removed the small wires from the small terminals of the stater solenoid and your engine still cranks then your starter solenoid is shorted internally and needs to be replaced.
Mark

original owner-93 Lightning
73 Gran Torino Sport 429 (prodigal son)
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2011 at 4:36PM
Make sure...before you go on...that your starter cable is not grounding out somewhere between the solenoid and the starter. Make sure all that insulated wrap is on it and that no bare cable is touching the manifold or engine block or the frame or anything. Also, make sure where the cable attaches to the starter isn't grounding out either, if you have the big fat stud on the side of the starter case it could be arcing to the frame or exhaust. That's why I couldn't use the $10 starter I got on eBay. It had a different case (and was also for a manual transmission).

These insulated wraps are supposed to keep the cable from rubbing through but if they shift around, it doesn't take long to wear through the rubber insulation on the cable especially with exhaust heat right there. These are the wraps I mean. Yours may be missing:

Don't mind that one end of my cable is in the cool air intake tube, I had it out of the way while I ran other wires/cables to where they needed to go.

Edited by occupant - 24-May-2011 at 4:38PM
jwacho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwacho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2011 at 8:59PM
I got great news everyone. I took the "new" stater sylnoid back to the store and asked for a new one. I installed the second one and the Torino started up first turn of the key. I have reason to believe that the store gave me a faulty starter sylnoid. The first one they gave me never came with the nuts and washers to hold the wires on. The second I got from them came with all the washers and nuts. Thanks for all the help everyone, it is much appreciated. I will try to post pics asap
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2011 at 1:06AM
Oh they probably take the same returns back and put them on the shelf, working or not. Some parts houses are lazy like that. They won't even test it, they'll see it looks new in box, they put it back on the shelf.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2011 at 1:30AM
Originally posted by occupant occupant wrote:

Oh they probably take the same returns back and put them on the shelf, working or not. Some parts houses are lazy like that. They won't even test it, they'll see it looks new in box, they put it back on the shelf.

One of the reasons why I love my O'Reilly's parts store.
ANY issues and they fix it without question.
I watch them mark boxes CLEARLY when they return anything.
NO CHANCE of that "BOX" getting back out on the shelf.
I have never bought a "BAD" part from them.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2011 at 2:25PM

could write a novel on all the Bad parts recieved from the jobbers.first thing I do when I get apart over the counter or get delivered,I open the box in front of the sales person/delivery person to inspect the part for signs of install or even core returns.this subject might be worthy of a thread!

John 75Gran Torino 4spd
 Post Reply Post Reply