The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1970 Torino GT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edlebby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1970 Torino GT
    Posted: 28-March-2006 at 1:23PM

Hi All, this is my first post...so pls be gentle...I am interested in a 1970 Torino.  The Marti report shows it to be  35 body style (Torino GT 2-Door Sportsroof) - elsewhere referred to as a 63F body, C code Engine, V code axle (drag pak), U code transmission.  Additional options: magnum wheels and console.

If I've done my research correctly this is a GT (and NOT a Cobra), but with a non-ram air SCJ 429 (3.91 gear) - correct?

If so, I am having a hard time understanding what more you got with a Cobra body style?  Is there something that came with the Cobra that you could not get as an option on the GT?  Some research seems to indicate up to a 30% premium for a Cobra...why?

Finally, assuming the car is all original (so block, intake, carb, tranny, rear end, interior, body, trim, wheeles, etc.) and is in decent shape (say a 3+ to a 2- out of five, with one being the highest) - what are your expert opinions on what a fair market price for that car would be?

Finally, if one were to inspect the car - what would you look for?  Are there perennial problems? Known trouble spots?  Is there an inspection service that someone can recommend for the Upper Midwest?

Many thanks in advance - sorry if my ignorance is showing, this is the first Ford product I've researched.

Cobra Clone70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cobra Clone70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2006 at 3:37PM
Originally posted by edlebby edlebby wrote:

Finally, if one were to inspect the car - what would you look for?  Are there perennial problems? Known trouble spots?  Is there an inspection service that someone can recommend for the Upper Midwest?

Many thanks in advance - sorry if my ignorance is showing, this is the first Ford product I've researched.

Be sure to check the torque boxes for rips or tears , rust around the front toe boards and lower quarters.Stess cracks in the lead in the front A pillars and the C pillars. Check for door sag and how the doors open and close. Rust seems common in the rear decklid at the bottom edges and in the lower quarter panels (front and back of the wheels)  and in the door bottoms.

Hope that helps some.
edlebby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edlebby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2006 at 3:00AM
Thanks CC70 - ended up buying the car several months ago - it has been awesome!
57honey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 57honey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2007 at 6:49AM
Hi, So tell us, Was the car what you thought, as far your research. was your decoding accurate?  any pleasant surprises as far as more options? I love it when someone finds out new cool things about a rare car, they never new. I was very excited when I did some research on a 70' Ranchero GT I was thinkin of buying. Turned out to be a GT,351 cleveland 4V Factory hideaway headlights, hood pins, Shaker ram air, Indash Ribbon tach, Air condition, Wimbleton white w/ flat black hood, black interior, big tranny, 9 inch, sway bars, etc. whew, I 'm gettin carried away here. anyway, I hope you were as surprised and happy as I am.  Enjoy.
 Post Reply Post Reply