The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alternator output

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guilf1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternator output
    Posted: 26-April-2006 at 8:17AM

Recently put an aftermarket carb with electric choke on my 72 GTS Qcode. I have the choke hooked up to the alternator output wire. Measuring the voltage across this wire, it drops to 8-ish once I rev the engine once, then stays in that range. (starts out between 11-12v). Shouldn't I still be getting 12v out of this at all times, or does the alt only output what is needed once the battery is recharged? Obviously, the choke needs 12v to stay open at operating temp. Is there a better place to plug the choke in? Sorry, but I'm electrically challenged.

Did I mention that I hate electric chokes...?

GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2006 at 11:25AM

It should be putting out 13-14.5 Volts at all times the alternator is running.

What you should do is check voltage at the battery to see if it is a problem with the charging system, or if the voltage there is good then you have a poor connection somewhere between the choke heat wire and the power.

Refer to the 73 wire diagram on the Ford Torino Page to route the wire back.

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2006 at 11:27AM
Oh, and electric chokes are very good in my opinion. Reliable, but you have to remember that the wire run supplying the voltage to that choke my run across the engine (hot, will degrade wiring and connectors over time) and also may be exposed to excessive contaminants at times (oil, dirt, etc).
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
guilf1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guilf1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2006 at 5:53AM

Thanks for the info. The battery voltage seems fine (12-13v) and the choke connection appears solid at both ends, so I'm thinking of getting the alternator checked/replaced next.

Get this, after I posted, I did notice an unnatural looking hole in the alternator casing, with a spark popping out of it when the engine is revved. Almost looks like it burned right through. Ever seen that before?

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2006 at 8:06AM
Wow.. on a side note, I would have run power from the wiper motor.. I think those are always 12v+ with key on.
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
 Post Reply Post Reply