The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What makes it a GT?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 18D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What makes it a GT?
    Posted: 06-September-2011 at 7:44AM
Hey guys, I'm looking for some help before I buy my first Ford, I've been a Chevy guy for years, but everyone's got a Nova, Chevelle or Malibu.  I am looking at a '71 Torino.  It is listed as a 71 Torino GT retomod.  It has a 351C, 2 door hard top, bench seats and a 3.50 rear end.  I tried looking up what makes it a GT online, but couldn't truly find the answer.  I saw the late 60's model GTs were bucket seats.  But did they ever make a GT with bench seats?  I want to make sure I'm not buying a clone, if this guy is trying to sell it as a GT.  Any help in identifying this beautiful car as a true GT would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2011 at 10:12AM
not 100% sure on the 70/71 Torino's but they have a different Grille and the door panels are different and i'm sure there are other options but you might be able to get a GT with bench seat but I think somehow there is a way to tell by the VIN or data tag if it is a true GT hopefully someone with more experience with these years Torino's will chime in
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2011 at 11:39AM
I'm not trying to get rid of you, but there's unlimited information on pre-1972 Torinos at http://www.torinocobra.com/forum/ . If someone there doesn't have the information, it doesn't exist. So take a look, but come back and tell us what you found out.
GTS73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTS73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2011 at 3:59PM
According to http://www.torinocobra.com/torino_vin_71.htm

TORINO COLOR AND TRIM
TORINO GT
KNITTED VINYL BENCH-OPTION*
Interior 		Trims	Exterior Color
Color			Code	Availability Codes
Black			WA	All
White			WW	All
*N.A. in Convertible.

Not saying it's definitely the original bench, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Edited by GTS73 - 07-September-2011 at 4:01PM
-Keith

`04 Wrangler Sport
`73 Gran Torino - sold :(
`68 Torino GT Fastback
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2011 at 6:54PM
the body code digits in the VIN designate whether it's a GT, 500, etc...

500's and GT's could be optioned with choices that make you wonder, but the VIN digits are the last word
72 GT Ute

18D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 18D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2011 at 6:54PM
Great, Thanks for you help guys!
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2011 at 1:15PM
the 3rd and 4th digit in the vin determines 'car line'       35 is a gt, 38 is a cobra
for example 0h35h2335XXX would be a 70 gt
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

Post Reply Post Reply