The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Edelbrock Performer or RPM Air Gap?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfasano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edelbrock Performer or RPM Air Gap?
    Posted: 12-September-2011 at 3:44PM
Guys-

I've got a stock 351w in my 75 Elite that I'd like to improve.  I initially planned a mild top end refit including an edelbrock performer intake, 600 cfm holley carb, and mustang gt headers.

However the local craigslist has a performer rpm air gap intake listed for $120.  Seems like a deal that is too good to pass up, however I really wasn't planning to run this engine in the 1500 to 6500 rpm range (the range posted on the edelbrock website).

Are there any disadvantages to running a performer rpm air gap intake on an otherwise stock 351w?  I don't want to lose any power in the idle-1500 rpm range since this will be a strictly street car/daily driver.

Thanks
Brian
--------
1975 Elite
351w 2v
PS122 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PS122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2011 at 3:56AM
From what I've been told, there is a relatively small difference in the performance of the RPM and the RPM Air-Gap, so I wouldn't expect any power loss.  I have a similarly mild (though not DD) 351W and chose to go with the RPM and 600 Holley.  It is still sitting in my garage waiting to be installed, though.
FWIW -I paid $110 for my RPM (craigslist) but would have loved to have found an Air-Gap for $120!
Joe
'76 S&H Gran Torino
http://starskytorino.com/joes/joes.html
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2011 at 6:42AM
The only difference is the open space on the air gap. Runners are the same size, theorically, the air gap will perform better due to the air flow cooling the intake.
in reality, once your hood is closed, you got not so much wind coming, except for those running the stock fan. Remember that the dizzy is in the way, so it will block any air flow.
Get a perfomer rpm, it's a great intake, you will still have a nice amount of power below 1500rpm.

PS122 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PS122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2011 at 6:45AM
Originally posted by ilyes ilyes wrote:

The only difference is the open space on the air gap. Runners are the same size, theorically, the air gap will perform better due to the air flow cooling the intake.
in reality, once your hood is closed, you got not so much wind coming, except for those running the stock fan. Remember that the dizzy is in the way, so it will block any air flow.
Get a perfomer rpm, it's a great intake, you will still have a nice amount of power below 1500rpm.

I agree with all of the statements above.  But if the price is right, I see no reason not to get the Air Gap.  (And I'd say at $120, the price is right.)
Joe
'76 S&H Gran Torino
http://starskytorino.com/joes/joes.html
bfasano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfasano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2011 at 9:17AM
So does everyone agree that the Performer RPM Air Gap is as good (but not worse) than a Performer (not Performer RPM) in the idle-1500 range?  That's where I expect this car will spend most of its time.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

1975 Elite, 351w 2v.
SocalTorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2011 at 10:43AM
For $120 thats a deal. Buy it and install it, if you dont like the way it runs you can sell it for the same price or more. You will only loose a lil time and gaskets cost
torkair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torkair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2011 at 7:49AM
The 1500 to 6500 RPM range is the OPTIMAL range for the intake.  Other things such as heads, cam and the rest of the setup can change this optimal range in either direction but 1500 to 6500 is where you'll see the best gains from the intake alone.  For $120 grab it up before someone else does!
72 Gran Torino "sport"- in progress

73 Ranchero GT- Q code-460/C6/3.25 open rear
 Post Reply Post Reply