The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vacuum canister

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevsryd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vacuum canister
    Posted: 01-May-2006 at 1:56PM

Does anyone know if putting a vacuum canister in my car will make a difference, when breaking the car during drag racing?  With the cam that I am running, I can't bring the rpm's up to 2800. She starts rolling at about 2k.  Would love to come out of the hole stronger to bring down my 60' time. I know that if I can get my time to 1.5 I can get 11 seconds! 

GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 3:02AM

Sounds like you need a torque convertor that will flash at 3000 rpm or higher. I would suggest using Line-Lock, are you doing your burnouts with your rear brakes engaged? What's your best 60' time and 1/4 mile?    

Nevsryd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevsryd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 4:21AM

Rear brakes aren't engaged when burning out.  Didn't really want to put a line-lock in her. Best 60' 1.72 best 1/4 12.021 @ 114.32 MPH

JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 5:19AM

If you are doing a burnout with the brakes on, you are using the rears a bit unless you have a loc for the fronts only.  When you try to stall above 2800, does the car move or do the tires spin/slide?  Is the brake pedal dead and high like when you have the ignition off?   A vacuum can will only help if you have the dead pedal.  With your skinny fronts and sticky rears, I'm surprised you aren't actually pushing the fronts..  

My car won't hold many RPM at the lights, but then again, I've eaten mashed potatoes firmer than my brake pedal..  

1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
Nevsryd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevsryd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 11:54AM
I have the rear brakes adjusted pretty far out. I will tinker around with the adjustment when it is on the lift and see if it makes a difference. 
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2006 at 1:20AM

That is likely part of your problem..  With the brakes that far out, you're not getting all your brake force to hold the car, and your pedal is moving more before any braking happens....  I have considered Line Loc for mine, but I'm just not serious enough about going fast, plus I never have to burn the DR's much for a decent launch.. (I should, some day, at least try the full weight reduction, rear seat, rear bumper, no exhaust, skinnies on the front, etc)

Jim

1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
 Post Reply Post Reply