Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upper Arm Shaft and polyurethane bushings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upper Arm Shaft and polyurethane bushings
    Posted: 04-May-2006 at 7:13AM

Question:

For replacement of the upper arm bushings on the shaft, you of course just burn them out and put in the new bushing cores which are polyurethane.

Should the shaft be replaced at that time?

I ask because I had my Torino aligned many years ago after a front end rebuild I did myself. I had clamped that shaft to work on the arm, and after all was said and done I had it aligned at a shop. It was a good shop, older guys working there, grandfather had been doing business there for 20 years or something.

A week later the car is leading to the left or something like that. I take it back in, and the 60 yr old guy doing alignments tells me it shifted because the serrations on the bottom of the shaft where it sits on the frame were worn off and would not bite. He realigned, tightened the two bolts very tight and it was fine. Later alignments before getting rid of the car I always requested those bolts be very tight.

So, not that I have clamped the arm shafts on the current project, but should I replace the shafts to get new serrated shafts to ensure "bite"?

I am getting ready to order parts, which is why I ask. At 60-90 bucks a shaft kit (only way to get the shaft), I could save an easy 150 by not replacing, but I am going for 100% replacement as necessary for zero rework 5 years from now. Cost is not the top option - quality is.

Thoughts?

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 4:40PM
 I guess the thing to do would be to inspect the shafts and check the serrations, which involves tearing it down, although i have never experienced that particular problem. Urethane would be the better way to go for better handling.
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2006 at 6:28PM

I will keep updating on this matter, however, the current status of the arms is as follows:

The folks at Suspension Restoration told me to burn out the old bushings to keep the outer sleeves in (for the new polyurethane cores to go into). He insisted it was the easiest way to do it. So I did:

I burned the heck out of one upper arm's worth. I fried the bushings to a crisp, but they never popped out like advertised. In fact, they turned to carbon still in the original configuration. I will try and get the material out to see if it worked, but either way, I will be replacing the upper arm shafts because after the torching they took, I know I heat treated that steel - not good. I think the arm was OK, but those shaft ends took a heat beating for sure. I let them, burn, started them again, let them, burn, etc. Anyway, I will post status reports as I proceed (and perhaps some pics as well). So far, not living up to the expectations. Those bushings will get out, but not as easy as I thought.

Edited by GranTorinoSport
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2006 at 11:13AM

OK,

Did more bushing burning. I found out that you really have to get it cooking. I heated the ended, got them burning, and then heated the shell, and it really took off. It burned for about 10 minutes and some of the time the bushing would actually drop out.

Got all 4 arms done. Mission successful.

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2006 at 11:14AM
Oh, and with the bushings burned out, one cannot move the shaft out of the arm without taking one bushing outter shell out - so I'm going to leave them in.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2006 at 2:18AM
I have new Ford bushings for my car I think I will heat them up before they get installed then do the urethane that way might be easier. Gary
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2006 at 6:56AM

I usually use oxy/acetylene for a few seconds... the bushing ignites nicely, then launches a foot or two.

OR... a metal bucket with 1/2" full of gas.. dunk the control arm end, submerge the bushing, then ignite.

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2006 at 7:05AM
We have a pyro in the house!
Scott Eklund

Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 1:27AM
  Psquare you are scaring me!! lol   Gary

OleDutchD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OleDutchD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 1:54AM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

I usually use oxy/acetylene for a few seconds... the bushing ignites nicely, then launches a foot or two.

Paul, you crack me up! LOL!!

Kevin
Just an analog guy stuck in a digital world!
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2006 at 10:57AM
New question:

Before I damage something, the upper A-arm shaft bushings do not seem to go all the way in to the shells. The arm has the bushing shells in and the shaft in (rubber burned out). I cleaned the shells of excess rubber, oil. The polyurethane bushings go in as far as there is 1/8 inch bushing on the inner side beyond the shell.

Will putting the nuts and washers on and tightening to 100 ft-lbs sink them in far enough, or do I need to get the bushing press and force them in farther? In the 1974 and the 75/76 shop manual sets, they list no torque value for upper A-arm shaft nuts, only for the shaft-to-frame. Oh, and yes I used the supplied lube. I'll snap a pic tonight if I remember.

Comments?
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2006 at 6:06PM
The bushing should stick "past" the inner portion of the shell, at least on mine they do.. That what you mean?
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2006 at 4:32AM
Let me get some photos tonight. I'll upload them. It may not be wrong, I just want to check first before more assembly.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
 Post Reply Post Reply