The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

4 speed pedal pics and identification.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 speed pedal pics and identification.
    Posted: 02-October-2011 at 8:45AM
guys i am looking for pics of what the factory 4speed pedals look like.       i am trying to figure out if a pedal set that i have is the correct set for a torino or if it was something someone stuffed in to a car and thought they would make it work.     it looked correct in the car but im not sure.    ill have pics of it all as soon as my camera battery is charged.     The car they came out of was not a factory 4 speed,  but i was told that it was a 4speed big block car,    motor and trans were gone  but a c4/c6   was in the trunk.
-kevin-
Brown 72 gran torino 351c 2v
Black 73 GTS FB 302
Red 73 GTS FB 351C C6 trans
73 GTS FB Parted
73 torino 4dr, 302, FMX parted
97 F250 crew cab 7.3 diesel

http://kverschtorino.blogspot.com/
kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2011 at 2:27PM
here's a few pics of the clutch pedal set up that was in the car,    not sure if its correct or not   trying to figure that out.     where about should i be looking to find a part number to help.

-kevin-
Black 73 GTS FB 302
73 GTS FB Parted

iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2011 at 3:22PM
Sure looks like mine. I'll try to get some pictures for you.
Ian Glyn-Jones
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Forum; http://mmgt.forumchitchat.com/
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2011 at 4:18PM
Judging by the picture of mine, one of us has the wrong break pedal. The pattern on your pedals look more 60's if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by lynchster - 02-October-2011 at 4:20PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
madmaxtorino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Zombie Killing Training Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2011 at 5:07PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Gran-Torino-Ranchero-clutch-and-brake-pedal-set-4-speed-/180731396826?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a146e42da
Allan
Revelation 6:8
When there is no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2011 at 6:18PM
could be just a correct clutch pedal added to an auto trans hanger?

i thought the brake pedal in a manual trans car was 1/2 size like the one in the ebay ad, and the auto cars got a double size brake pedal. also, where's the clutch pedal assist spring-ma-bob?

you might be able to make it look more correct by cutting down the large brake pedal to fit the manual trans brake pedal cover, then just add a return spring up out of the way where you can't see it to keep the weight off the throw-out bearing
72 GT Ute

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2011 at 2:24AM
Thanks for the pics. I am looking for a non original setup to put in our '73, since the price of a factory assembly is skyrocketing. I have several different factory combinations at the house (Bronco II, '68 Cougar, '68 F100, '68 Camaro) that I'm trying to see if they might work with some modifications. If not, and someone here knows what might interchange, please let us know.

Sorry Kevin - didn't mean to highjack your thread.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2011 at 8:39AM
joe no problem,  honestly when i started looking at these i thought of you knowing you are tying to get non factory pedals to work.      hopefully we can figure out if these were factory or not.    they fit in the car and looked factory to me.   but not sure.    the pedal did look different to me then what i thought factory had.   i though factory had the chrome around the pedals but the pad could have just been replaced at some point.
-kevin-
Black 73 GTS FB 302
73 GTS FB Parted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2011 at 9:05AM
My personal opinion is that if you are making a great looking driver or something nice enough for an occasional show and are not adamant about concours correctness, then if it fits and works well, and looks good, use whatever fits the bill. Just my $.02 worth.

Kevin, if that setup worked, use it again. If the appearance concerns you, a little trimming, different pads and you are in business. The pads you show look very much like the factory items on my '68 F100, BTW.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2011 at 11:43AM
If you guys are going to hunt for a workable non OEM solution you could put together a how to post.
I wonder if a Fox platform pedal assy would work. If it fits does it mean converting to a slave cylinder for the clutch?
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
CheeseSteakJim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CheeseSteakJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2011 at 12:29PM
I have been thinking of proposing a project amongst us where someone would send me a factory pedal assembly - with collateral if you didn't trust me, since I'm not a very well-known member yet - and I could then use the factory assembly to make templates, then I would be able to build functional reproduction, with my car to receive the first one so I can make sure it works as intended.
1972 Ford GTS Formal, H-code, automatic (SOLD)
1979 Chevy El Camino SS/Royal Knight, 355ci, TH350, Posi 10-bolt
1988 Lincoln Town Car, T5 5spd,
1966 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Honda CB650 bobber
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2011 at 3:02PM
I have a factory set i can get better pictures of this weekend if you would still like to see them.
Allan
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2011 at 3:04PM
max is on to it ,looks just as he said,someone added clutch pedal to the auto hanger.note the auto shift cable bracket.the holes for the return spring bracket are on the auto trans bracket.probaly the easiest thing to do is just finish what was started,when I refurbished my clutch pedal assy,I set the auto pedal  bracket side by side with the  clutch pedal bracket assy and the look like they were stamped from the same dye.don't think I took pix of the side by side though.check out ebay,blue oval's got pedals listed bid starts at $488.note power brake and manual brake arms are different.the pins for the booster arm and the pin for the master cylinder arm welded in different spots on the brake pedal arms,easy enough to fix if you have a welder
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2011 at 1:59AM
Hmmm. John has a point, and if Alan can get pics, this might work for those of us wanting a manual transmission. I have a Toploader 4 speed with both small and FE bellhousings, but will probably end up with a 5 or 6 speed in ours, so this is really hitting the spot with me. This is a great post. Thanks guys!
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2011 at 6:21AM
Originally posted by 75GranMan 75GranMan wrote:

note power brake and manual brake arms are different.the pins for the booster arm and the pin for the master cylinder arm welded in different spots on the brake pedal arms,easy enough to fix if you have a welder

in the assy i took from my 72 manual brake car there is an alloy adapter plate
between the pedal hanger and the firewall

a manual brake master has a different rod that stays attached to the master, you have
to disconect it from the brake pedal to remove the master from the firewall 

Edited by Rockatansky - 04-October-2011 at 6:24AM
72 GT Ute

75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2011 at 1:08PM
max,don't think I explained what i meant too well.the pin that master rod or booster rod goes on are mounted in different spots on p/b and manual brake (arms).the brake arms look identical.I guess the difference in pin location was for  leverage,p/b vs manual brake.it was late,I was tired.yadda yadda yadda...my spacer,hanger to firewall looked just like the one kversch posted,tin w/spacers.my pedal assy came out of a 73 manual brake car,I installed them in my 74 torino p/b car back in 81,the booster rod hooked to the arm,but wasn't rite,brake light switch took some bending to get the lights to work correctly.fast forward 2011,I took the pedals out of the rotted 74.took measurments from my buds 72 ranchero p/b car,drilled/welded pin in correct spot.installed hanger in my 75 torino,no prob.except the brake booster is different on 75,one stud on the booster is about 1/2 hole off from the 72-74 booster.had to use the tin spacer from the 75 and notch the pedal hanger bracket to get the booster to fit,was that or drill firewall to accept the early booster.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2011 at 5:00PM
Originally posted by madmaxtorino madmaxtorino wrote:

I have a factory set i can get better pictures of this weekend if you would still like to see them.

alen some pics would be great if you get a chance
-kevin-
Black 73 GTS FB 302
73 GTS FB Parted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2011 at 7:22PM
OK i get what you're saying now, ATM i have both a power brake hanger set and the manual brake hanger set loose but i don't get out there very often lately... i will get some pics when i get the chance

but yeah, that pivot pin for the brake rod being in a different place would cause a little hiccup
72 GT Ute

mtburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2011 at 11:25AM
Hello All.

I took and sent these pictures to Carl a while ago when he had some questions, and since they are on topic I figured I would post them here.

Seen below are Power brake 4 speed pedals, non power brake 4 speed pedals, and an automatic pedal brace.

The pedal brace is different from stick to auto in that there is no aluminum bushing to support the extra load of the clutch actuation on the auto brace.

If you have or know someone with decent fabrictaion skills, you can machine up some bushings and weld them to an auto brace and use a stock clutch pedal, reasonably easy.

I think if you were not able to find the factory clutch pedal, then the challenge of adding the bushing, and building a pedal go up a bit in skill level, but certainly are do-able.

Also, I have used the non stick brake pedal for the correct pin location for power / non power brakes by cutting down the auto pedal pad and using the stick pedal ruber.

I have done this conversion at least 3 times, and have worked through several issues, the biggest one being there are no nut serts in the automatic frame for the frame side linkage mount.

Edited for spelling.

Thanks, Mike H.

Edited by mtburger - 05-October-2011 at 11:29AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2011 at 2:07AM
Dude, you are the man! Thanks for the great pics.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2011 at 8:36AM
the pics above are like mine so no need for me to dig mine out!Clap
Allan
stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2012 at 6:00PM
       lucky the holes for the pivot bracket are in the auto frame for the rivnuts. Im checking into using mustang pedals mounted lower on a auto pedal hanger because they use a shaft all the way thru and you can weld a roller bearing mustang kit in. It might work better on a pwr brake car? I should have some measurments soon. I've been doing some comparing between my cars, I still have to measure the mustang I think it has shorter pedals. the offset mustang clutch pedal might be better .If I noticed right when I checked mine the auto bracket was narrower than the 4 speed bracket. 
michigan
 Post Reply Post Reply