The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Idles fine at one light, dies at the next one...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Idles fine at one light, dies at the next one...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odranoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Idles fine at one light, dies at the next one...
    Posted: 13-October-2011 at 7:16AM
Yesterday I "had" to drive almost 50 miles to go to a business meeting and I used the Torino since my wife had our daily driver.

Minus the shifting problem that I have not come to terms with yet, the car ran good, until I got to a stop light and it just had troubles keeping idling and died. It started right up and idled fine until I touched the accelerator again, at which point it had troubles idling again. I was able to replicate the issue a number of times: restart the engine to find it idling fine, and as soon as I tapped the gas pedal it would have a hard time idling... I then kept on driving and half a mile down the road she was fine again... Same thing happened on the way home... Needless to say I am extremely confused... 

I also think it has something to do with how hard I push the car, but I could not swar for it. However I think I could replicate this:

runs fine --> hard accelleration --> runs bad --> hard accelleration --> runs well again... 

Ideas?
1972 Gran Torino
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2011 at 8:01AM
Refresh our member, what kind of engine/carb/etc?
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2011 at 8:45AM
have you done a tune up lately, was the car sitting for a long period of time?
Odranoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odranoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2011 at 9:46AM
I updated my signature.

I recently changed the trans vacuum modulator and the brake booster and master brake cylinder. Nothing else done to it. I tried disconnecting the vacuum advance on the ignition thinking it was off but that was not it.
1972 Gran Torino
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2011 at 11:08AM
I know my car has these sort of issues at the moment and I just figured out why.

No fuel filter.

Good ol' Windell, didn't bother putting any sort of filter in the line to the pump or to the carb. So now I've got gummed up carb bits since I ran the tank low. ONCE. And now I am paying for it with rough running, hesitation, stumbling, and stalling.

So on the way home from soccer practices tonight, somebody is stopping at Advance to pick up an inline fuel filter kit and I hope to have enough light tonight to get it on or else it'll have to wait until morning. I'll take the boys to school in the Durango if I have to. *edit: it does get better as it warms up but it still doesn't like going into the secondaries so I bet they're even filthier. Oh, and I've been running no air cleaner for the last 1100 miles, too. That changes tonight. My stud and my Dremel are calling my name in the garage now that I found them.*

I would check the fuel filter and all the vacuum lines. You might have caused one to crack while in there,m or pulled one loose, or maybe it was already a little spongy and a little movement let it collapse. Vacuum lines suck. Literally. And then when they stop sucking, that's when they REALLY suck.

Edited by occupant - 13-October-2011 at 11:11AM
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
Odranoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odranoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2011 at 12:19PM
Good point. Is there supposed to be an original fuel filter somewhere?? Where? 

I'll add a paper filter just in case too.
1972 Gran Torino
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2011 at 3:33PM

Occupant!Cry shame on you,no air filter for any miles is uncalled for.Ya gotta treat your car the way you would want to be treated.sorry just had to state the facts.Odranoel does your car have a functioning EGR valve?you know the valve behind the carb,mounted to the spacer plate.If it does,quick check for a sticking valve or vac supply concern,remove vac line to the valve and plug it.Road test the car to see if the issue is resolved.if it runs ok(may ping)the problem could be a sticking valve or vac to the valve holding the valve open at idle.if the EGR is open at idle it an internal vac leak which will cause the car to run rough.this is probably the quickest thing to check without to much diffculty.

John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2011 at 3:41PM
If the needle and seat is stuck with some dirt, you can often times free it with the following technique.

Have the engine idling with the air cleaner off, gently use vise grips on the rubber fuel hose that feeds the carb, for about 5 seconds or so.. Loosen the vise grips, then gently tap the carb on the side of the float bowl. This causes a gush of fuel, along with the vibration, to free up any dirt that might be stuck in there. Done this twice with good results. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2011 at 6:51AM
points in the distributor should be the first thing you check / replace, unfortunately finding someone that knows how to do it right and that owns a dwell meter is a dying art

consider an electronic replacement moule if there's not one in there already

also check the advance mechanism under the breaker plate, they get gummed up & stuck

sometimes the breaker plate itself needs replacing, if it's worn out an electronic module will 'cover' 1/2 the problem by eliminating the sensitive points but the timing may still be erratic 
72 GT Ute

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2011 at 7:28AM
I've done the carb bowl tap myself with good results. However, Motorcraft 2 Bbl carbs are simple to build and the kits are relatively cheap - if you need to go that route.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2011 at 12:55PM

Max,not positive for sure,but I believe that the 74's had electronic dura-spark.But there may have been so early points cars.

John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2011 at 7:54PM
i wasn't paying real close attention back then but i know 75 for sure had electronic, and i think a rare few 74's got some but 74 was the last year for the 351C (just my personal reference) and it was never officially offered with electronic so i think 1974 was the last year for points... and what Odranoel has for a dizzy may not be what it left the factory with 35+ years later too Handshake 

if ti does have points, i'd recommend a QUALITY aftermarket 'ready to run' type dizzy with a module in it, or at least a stock rebuilt with a module in it for many years of maintenence free never miss a beat service

Edited by Rockatansky - 17-October-2011 at 7:55PM
72 GT Ute

Odranoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odranoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2011 at 6:09AM
Saturday I went through the fuel line, inspected the lines and filters and everything was good. I then proceeded to inspect the vacuum lines and although they are all less than 2 years old I found some to be loosely fitted. They probably used the wrong size in some application. I proceeded to put zipties/clamps where needed and surprise: the car runs like she should now! thank you all for helping me find the cause! Now I still need to work on the transmission, but at least one of the problem s is gone. Thank you! 
1972 Gran Torino
 Post Reply Post Reply