The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear Brakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T Fahey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Brakes
    Posted: 14-October-2011 at 6:57AM
I asked this before and nobody answered, so I'm trying again. Does anyone know how to go about installing rear disc brakes on a 1968 / 1969 Torino. Front already has front discs.
Tim Fahey
(678) 296-0850
1968 1/2 Torino R Code fastback
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2011 at 7:07AM
hey, welcome to the forum, you should drop a line in the presentation section to tell us about you and your ride.

About your brake situation, you can fabricate a set of bracket to attach to the rear axle, and mount calipers/rotors.
I don't know if you can get a conversion kit, or last choice would be to swap your entire axle for one with disc brake already, you just need to take measurement and find something along the lines. I'd be looking at fox bodies and crown vic for a start
VorbottenO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VorbottenO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2011 at 7:24AM
Several companies are offering kits to convert Ford Drum rear to disk brakes.
Do keep in mind you will have to go to 15" or larger wheels for clearance.
Eric
72GTS-Ncode (429-477ci)

T Fahey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T Fahey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2012 at 7:52AM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I ended up purchasing a conversion kit instead. What I need now is the correct master cylinder to drive both front and rear disc brakes. I have a power setup. Please advise.

What I'm doing a full restoration on is a rare car. It is a 1968 1/2 Torino GT Fastback 428 R code. According to the Fairlane/Torino registry, there were 35 Fastback 428 R codes made. I'm questioning this but I also haven't seen any. I have the correct CJ engine, trans and rear axle. The car has been entirely media blasted ans expoxy primered and is on a rotissorie. I'm replacing the floor boards and cutting them in without any overlap so it is a 'clean' replacement.
Tim Fahey
(678) 296-0850
1968 1/2 Torino R Code fastback
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2012 at 8:27AM
If this were a later car I'd say easy, use a Mark V MC. but I have no idea what the bolt pattern is like on an earlier car. Sorry. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
jedclampit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jedclampit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2012 at 6:02AM
I think the # from the registry indicates the # that are registered there, the production #'s are way more than that I'm pretty sure of.
Why are you changing the rear brakes? I think that will hurt the collector value and showmanship of a restored car.
You must plan on driving it hard! Wink
Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2012 at 6:47AM
I have installed rear disc brakes on my 1967 (same for 1968) Ranchero from a 1990 to 2000 Crown Vic/Towncar using adapters (4 steel spacers from Fast Merc on Ebay).  Its easy, cheap, readily available and ALL Ford.  I have lots of pictures.  If still interested send email to tbndb98@verizon.net 

I have no connection with Fast Merc (just the purchase of parts)
franck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote franck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2015 at 6:48PM
great i'm interested and i got toronado front 9"disc on my 68 torino but they're too weak,what do you recomend?
Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2015 at 12:45AM
franc,
I have installed '76 Granada spindles with disc brakes on my '67 Ranchero.  This is a popular front disc brake conversion used successfully by many.  I am using a 2000 V6 Mustang MC, without ABS, for my 4 wheel disc brake conversion.  Refer to Mustang Steve for lots of disc brake information.
 Post Reply Post Reply