The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Front Bumper Adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front Bumper Adjustment
    Posted: 18-October-2011 at 12:33PM

Looking for advice on how to adjust the front bumper on my 72 Torino.

It was hit in the pass front fender about 35 years ago.  The fight front side of the bumper is closer to the body by about 1/4" apparently due to missing shime at the frame horns as compared to the drivers side which should be an easy fix.

The problem is that the entire bumper is shifted about 3/4" towards the drivers side.  What is the easiest way to move it back? Can this be done with the mounts at the frame horns?

Thanks

Randy

72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2011 at 1:26AM

I am almost positive about this, but don't take my word on it...

The bolt holes where the bumper attaches to the frame horns are slotted, so you could loosen up the bumper and slide it from side to side...
1972 Torino
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2011 at 3:59PM
If you need some 1972 shims, I have a large stack.

Picture, in the middle:

Edited by Eliteman76 - 19-October-2011 at 4:00PM
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
wideone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2011 at 4:18PM

This is either going to be very easy, or a nightmare.

I pulled the grill and surround an PB blasted all of the mounting bolts.

Looks like too many shims on one side, none on the other,  Also maybe one bent bracket.

My shims don't look like the ones in the picture.  I may come a calling on those.

Think I'll do the side to side first tomorrow night,and then see where it ends up.

I just hope it doesn't go "boing" when I loosen it. 

Thanks!

Edited by wideone - 19-October-2011 at 4:21PM
wideone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2011 at 1:21AM

Well, the side to side was easy after all, just loosened the bolts at the frame horn  The problem appears to be that when the car was repaired and the bumper remounted, they left the shim out and one of the mounting bolts on the pass side.  The car was jacked up with a bumper jack at some time and that twisted the bumper. I don't think it will be too hard to work it out when I put it back on.

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply