The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chrome plating, are these numbers right???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odranoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chrome plating, are these numbers right???
    Posted: 19-October-2011 at 10:09AM
I am close to DC, but still in Virginia. I have been making a couple of calls to the local chrome plating companies and I have been referred to out of state companies (in PA and NC) possibly because of the size of my bumpers. 

Well the very professional guy I spoke to quoted me 800 dollars for the rear and 700 for the front plus 250 for shipping... 

I am thinking of trying my luck with a rattle-can of "chrome" looking spray paint... Suggestions? Dead 
1972 Gran Torino
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2011 at 10:45AM
It is very expensive, it's around $500 in ny, try maryland, it's supposed to be cheaper than VA or DC
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2011 at 11:41AM
that excessively high and can ship them clear across the country and get them chromed cheaper then that.
I got the front bumper shipped to Florida from a member here and it cost him $25 to ship the chrome bumper without any brackets or lights and that is how you would ship your bumper to a chrome shop.
he may have shipped it under a commercial account where they don't hit you up for the size like when you go to a shipping place and they send it UPS or Fed Ex they hit you up for the measured length and width which is BS when it use to be only weight and the front is very light compared to the rear but they are not that heavy and shipping should not be more then $100
Eliteman paid around $300 for each of his bumpers plus a little extra fror welding up his jack slots and welding the bumper bolts and making the outside flush and smooth(no bolt caps showing)

Bet Bumper Boys all the way in California can even beat that price but who ever you send them to,gring your initials or identifying mark on the backside and tell them you want your original bumpers rechromed and not an exchange as sometimes they have cores on hand and chrome them and send them but the could be twisted and no way to tel till you bolt on car and if your bumpers fit well,bumper from another car might not fit the same on your car so the markings will prove they sent yours back rechromed.Take photos of the marking but don't tell them as they will grind them off and say they came off in the chrome process.
It's for your protection if you want the same bumpers returned that you had before. and the photos will prove it in case they try to pull a fast one
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2011 at 1:20PM
I was quoted a starting price of $800 for 1 bumper in the Toronto area and that was with no shipping.
"F" that!!!

That is why I found a front NOS bumper for $400 and got a re-chromed rear from Bumper Boys for $350 and picked it up at Carlisle in June. Quality is great and I'm very happy with it.
Ian Glyn-Jones
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Forum; http://mmgt.forumchitchat.com/
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2011 at 1:30PM
sh*t, it only cost me $30 to send a rear bumper core from Michigan to Texas.  $250????  Thats freakin INSANE!
Mike
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2011 at 1:44PM
 Keystone did mine, Same bumpers I sent,   Bumper boys are going to be a swap , Powercoat  would be cheaper , but not for me. all said and done  I got 1300 in my custom  all chrome bumpers .  But its what I wanted , and I still have the originals
albos73gts
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2011 at 3:25PM
Keystone,like the aftermarket /crash/lkq parts place?

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2011 at 3:26PM
Hmm. Depends on amount of work, and the shop.
I know a place like Advanced Plating out in Tennessee is going to cost some money, but I mean, your get what you pay for.

I was going to use Keystone, they offer a good warranty as well, and I was quoted $320 a bumper.
Drawback was the 12-14 week lead time.

I was amazed at the service I got from these guys:
Sioux Plating, South Sioux City, NE.

I spent $315 a bumper, with them welding the bumper bolts and grinding smooth.
Best use of a tax refund ever.

Before:

After:
WAIT, no, no no...

I would just make sure you do proper fitment before hand.

Over all, I would recommend these guys.
They get bumpers sent by the semi truck load from some place out in Virginia {all makes/models}.

They got my bumpers done in 3-1/2 weeks. Should have been 6-8 weeks.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2011 at 1:27PM
yeah, lkq has a fair price but they quoted me the same, long lead time.

Mike
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2011 at 9:25AM
before and after,

Edited by albo74 - 23-October-2011 at 9:28AM
albos73gts
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2011 at 9:37AM
  couple of things , I noticed .  the 72 brackets do hold the bumper closer to the car, and the tail lenses are all red with a black stripe , the 73 s are black to the outer edge . One question for the 72 guys , is there a  rubber gasket between the rear bumper and body ?    I'm thinking not.

Edited by albo74 - 23-October-2011 at 9:41AM
albos73gts
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2011 at 12:01PM
Yes, 72-73 had rubber gaskets between the bumper and frame. There is also a filler that goes between the body on top of the bumper, which I have on my GTS.
I had some fitment issues after paint, but was able to install.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Odranoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odranoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2011 at 8:57AM
I ended up picking up a clean used front and back for 300 dollars, I'll soon be selling my original ones, that are straight but need chrome. :-)
1972 Gran Torino
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2011 at 12:55PM
Andy, are you sure that filler is from a 72?  I've never seen on on a 72.  I know 73's had them to cover up the huge gap that's noticeable when you pop the trunk lid.
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply