The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

351/460

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmizz181 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351/460
    Posted: 24-October-2011 at 11:38AM
Hey guys,
I just happened to fall into a 1970 DOVE-A 460 block. I've been looking for a reasonably
priced Cleveland with 4 bolt mains (I have two 2 bolt main Clevelands). The 460 has been bored 30 over and decked. My question is what do you all think about putting the 460 in place of the Cleveland? I might even answer my own question here by saying I'm kind of partial to the Clevelands, just wanting a 4 bolt main block.
Also, any issues with ride quality, parts changing, ect, ect. Any thoughts and ideas would help, thanks.
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2011 at 12:20PM
In my opinion the 4 bolt main blocks aren't that much stronger than the 2 bolts. I've always thought the reason Ford made 4 bolt mains was to compete with Chevrolet. The Chevy needed 4 bolts to strengthen their bottom end which used smaller diameter main bolts than Ford. Although 4 bolts in a Cleveland sound stronger, I think 2 bolts are safe up to at least 6500 RPM (so I've been told, I'm no expert). That's a pretty stout engine IMO. Once the oil pan is installed, very few can tell the difference. Nothing wrong with big blocks but if you like Clevelands better, I'd stick with them......Just my 2 cents...
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2011 at 2:29PM
2 bolt clevelands are good to 7k with arp rods bolts.
Mike
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2011 at 3:54PM
According to the book Ford Performance; "Pro Stockers used the cast crank, even with undersized rod journals, and spun them to ten grand without problems".
BTW an interesting read if you're into the old school Ford performance engines.

Chuck 

Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
mule323 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mule323 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2011 at 12:32PM
I've spun my 2 bolt cleveland to 7 grand more times than I can count with no problems. Well...at least no problems so far Wink.
             (Steve)
73 G.T.S. Fastback, 351C, C6
tmizz181 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmizz181 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2011 at 6:50AM
Thanks for the reply's. I think I will stick with the Clevelands, if went with the 460 I think I would regret it in the long run since I am more of the Cleveland fan.
Thanks again
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2011 at 7:00AM

Good choice.  Thumbs Up

Paul~
1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2011 at 5:26AM
Originally posted by tmizz181 tmizz181 wrote:

Thanks for the reply's. I think I will stick with the Clevelands, if went with the 460 I think I would regret it in the long run since I am more of the Cleveland fan.
Thanks again

What you'll regret in the long run with the Clevland is having a slower car than you would have wtih the 460.

WackoLOL

foote500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foote500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2011 at 5:36AM
Just get one with each.
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2011 at 6:48AM
Being a Cleveland fan I can say there is no replacement for big block grunt off the line.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2011 at 7:16AM
there are Cleveland builds with 600+ hp and a small block tends to take higher rpms better the big blocks are known for torque.
I have a 429 in my car and sticking with it as it is a 69 motor with 10:5 to 1 compression and my 74 351C 2v motor even though I built the top end and changed toi 4 bbl set up will not have the same hp without throwing more money at it and building the bottom end so for me it was what would cost me less. My car originally was a Q code but they swapped in a 69 429 2V Thunderjet but stock it is rated at 320 hp and 4bblintake,carb,head work and cam will bring me up over 400 hp and will be cheaper for me then doing the 74 Cleveland although I love the Clevelands as I had 2 of the 2V's and they are great engines.
there is nothing wrong with the 2v 2 bolt block and a set of Aluminum heads will cetrainly make the 2V a stout motor or even getting a set of 4V cast heads but alot prefer the Aussie Australian Cleveheads best for perfomance, but those are certainly not easy to find or cheap and Aluminum heads might actually be cheaper to get then Aussie Cleveland heads.

I really think of a Cleveland as a cross breed as the heads are about as big as the bigblocks and certainly the block dwarfs the windsor small blocks,so really it's a middle block LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply