The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1976 S&H LE Gran Torino

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2011 at 1:51PM
15/16" and yes you should be able to get on it with the fan still on although it would be easier with it off.
Mike
Starsky74Torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starsky74Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2012 at 4:28AM
Hi, congats on finding the limeted edition Starsky & Hutch... will look forward to seing your finnished project..
if you need info on your car contact John Q at starskytorino.com he has lots of them listed on his website and is very helpfull..
im sure you are a long way from thinking about rear suspension but if you have air shocks back there they are a pain so I replaced my rear springs for station wagon springs and got a real nice rake and she rides and handles better.. autozone house brand part # RCS 803V  $88.99 pair and I put Moog isolators top and bottom.
best of luck
Justin
Paul W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2012 at 9:26PM
I cant wait for it to be driveable.  its going to be fun.  right now we aren't going to be do any major changing because of it being the limited edition and because of money. 

We did apply power to the solenoid and all that happened was it "clicked" alot.  Yesturday we removed the fan and guard to get to the balancer.  I am planning on trying to acctually turning it on thursday.  It sucks on how slow we are going, but the weather and time is our big issue.
antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2012 at 11:25PM
Congrats on your S&H find. The more I look at these cars the more I want one. Looking forward to watching the build.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
Paul W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2012 at 4:44PM
We were finally able to manually crack the motor today.  Didnt do anything for a few minutes, then it just went pop and moved freely.  Since it is still on the cold side, we are going to keep adding the mystery oil and hand cranking it for the next few weeks just to make sure it is well lubed inside.  After that we are going to do the oil change, remove the starter  and try to have it fixed, and bring the altinator to autozone for the free testing.
Starsky74Torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starsky74Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2012 at 3:33AM
Hi Paul, I hope im not repeating previous advice but before you ever try to fire her up make sure you have rotated the crank not just back and forth bot forward at least 50 (or more if you are patient enough).. what happens is moisture will form rust on the cylinder walls and although it turns round it needs to be gently worn off by slow rotating or it will cause a lot of damage when fired up... I have seen a lot of people end up having to rebuild because of it.
all the best
Justin
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2012 at 3:36AM
Agreed!
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Paul W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2012 at 5:46AM
thats is what i am doing today.  My buddy was able to rotate it yesturday, but today i will be doing it again with more oil.
Paul W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2012 at 8:39AM
Well, i added more mystery oil and was able to crank the motor from one side of the engine bay to the other 3 times in one direction.  I also took off the altenater and took it to autozone.  They tested it as being a working one!!
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2012 at 8:47AM
When you get ready to hit it with the starter, make sure all the plugs are out so that it will spin easier and blow out all the gunk. That will also bring your oil pressure up if you crank long enough.

I hope whatever went POP was not a ring or associated part!
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Paul W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2012 at 8:54AM
My buddy said that it wasnt moving and then when pop.  Since it hasnt been started in something like 25+ years i figured it was stuck a little bit.  We ended up unloading almost 1 gallon of the mystery oil in it over a few weeks.  When i cranked it today, all the fluid did come shooting out.
Paul W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2012 at 5:08AM
Well...we are finally starting in the correct direction.  Over the past 6+months we have been is a battle with the cars owner about what needs to be done.  He has finally agreed to let me move it again and this time its going to a shop near my house.  Within the next week the engine should be wired enough to acctually start.
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2012 at 2:24PM
Paul,hopefully you'll get it fired up soon,whats the story with the ownership of this car,are they a relative?most guys would only resto a project like this on their own car.keep us updated with pix and progress.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
Paul W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2012 at 3:30PM
The plan is now that it is up at my buddies shop we will have the ability and tools to get the motor acctually wired and able to start.  The father of my friend is the one who owns the car.  He has given us the go ahead to make the decisions on it now.  I had been pushing for it to move to the shop because it wasnt getting anything done.  One reason i am helping with this resto is that i have always wanted to do something to a car for a long time.  when this opportunity came up i jumped on it and kept pushing about it.   The other reason is i wanted to help a friend remember his child hood when his dad would drive him in it.   The hope was to get it running for his wedding so he could leave it in it like his parents did theirs.  but that doesnt look like it will happen at this point. 

since we have it at the shop we are doing the wiring and body work with the few materials we have at the moment.  Right now our budget is very low, so we are going to have to take our time anyways.  Next couple weeks i should hopefully have pics and maybe video of it starting up.  First time since 1992.
Paul W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2012 at 11:40AM
We got a temp wiring setup for the solenoid to try to get any juice through the system.  There was nothing.  We are replacing the solenoid and replacing the starter while we are at it.  I have a picture of that and the back tire which i think is great. Looks like it is the widest it can take.  What do you guys think?

Srandaz2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srandaz2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2012 at 4:01PM
Looks good ......for a 25 yr sleeper....how's the frame?
Steve
Paul W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2012 at 11:40PM
I was told that the frame looks decent for having been in a sand field for the last 15 years.  And even some of it still has the factory coating still on it.  Body on the other hand needs work.  The battery was left in it, leaked, and took out the battery box, inner fender and radiator support.  So right now we are looking for donor pieces for it.
Srandaz2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srandaz2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2012 at 4:49AM

I think i know where to find an inner Fender not sure how much they want - I do have a Rad Support from a 76 I think i can part with for $125 - not sure how much it costs to ship it though

Steve
Paul W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2012 at 5:26AM
Let me know, we might not be able to afford it until late september.
Paul W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2013 at 12:39PM
update:  After a long amount of time we finally have some sort of money to do things with.  At the local salvage yard we found a 1976 ranchero.  We are planning on purchasing it to use as a parts car for our torino.  Once we get what we need, is there anything anyone might need?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12