The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I need a reputable body shop...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2011 at 4:21AM
that looks REALLY good. 
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2011 at 6:01AM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

I'm curious to see how they finished off "inside" the trunk, looking outwards at the previously damaged area. If they are good, they'll fix those seams as well.

They did fix the seams and seal everything inside as well. The inside looks just as good out the outside, I just didn't get any pictures of it. The built up bead of material around the outside seam is just seam sealer.

They pulled as much of the metal out on the frame machine, generally straightened what they could out by hand, then they cut the badly damaged sction out and used a hammer and anvil to reshape the metal back to it's original form, rewelded the panel back in, and then hammer and dollied the finish work. The guy said that at most there is maybe about 1/8th of an inch of filler in the lowest spots.
1972 Torino
72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2011 at 6:03AM
Originally posted by gpd294 gpd294 wrote:

Any chance the body shop will let yall remove some of that body trim to give it a better finish? It makes a difference plus it'll give ya a chance to polish the trim up off the car. Just my 2 centavos...Wink

I thought about stripping the trim, especially since they were going to respray the entire car, however it would have cost a bit more than what I was willing to pay right now. They are just going to do their best to restore the trim (since they are not a place that specializes in restoring trim), and put it back on the car with new clips. Plus, with my black wheels, and the new Cragar D-Window wheels that are going on the car, the trim strip breaks up all of that black...
1972 Torino
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2011 at 6:58AM
I knew they couldn't straighten that quarter without cutting it open as there is to many hard to reach area's that was damaged and no way to hammer and dolly it without cutting part of it off.

It would be better if you took the side moldings off before paint they are kust held on with clips amd some studs at some of the ends such as the doors that have nuts inside,but it's not hard to remove them,that way fresh paint gets under the moldings.
I would also have them remove the back glass and windshield moldings as they just are clipped on and every bodyman snould have a windshield molding tool.If they tape them like Maaco then you will get black paint on the edges of the stainless trim.No matter how good you try to tape moldings you get paint on the edges
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2011 at 1:20PM
nice work, are those custom headers? 
72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2011 at 1:22AM
Originally posted by ilyes ilyes wrote:

nice work, are those custom headers? 

They are Crites headers made for their 429/460 engine mounts in the Torino chassis. 2" primaries, and 3.5" collector for $390.

Tubes 6 and 7 just have welded tabs that hold them into the collector, while tubes 5 and 8 are not connected at all. They just slide in so they can be manipulated and help with fitment and installation. Crites says that the headers don't need to be welded at the connector, but after they are fitted I am going to have the shop weld them up and then have them coated... I'm probably just going to paint them... Anyways, even if I had them coated they would still be around the price of painted Hooker 429 headers.

It was a good deal if you ask me...
1972 Torino
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2011 at 1:31AM
I think that panel came out as good as can possibly be expected. Ya dun well. Clap
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2011 at 1:40AM
It is pretty obvious that your guys know how to do bodywork. That was not an easy fix, and the fact that they approached it the way they did shows that they mean for it to be right and last. Congrats on the progress!
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
72BlackGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BlackGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2011 at 4:08AM

+1 on whats already been said. Nice work.

Ron
1978 LTD II Sport-Green
2003 HD Road King Classic 100th Anniversary
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2011 at 6:17AM
Couple of questions Bob,
Are you using the Crites mounts? Do you or anyone know if those headers fit with factory Ford mounts?
Also what valve covers are you gonna use?
I did my Cleveland black with Black Wrinkle Ford Motorsport valve covers aluminum intake and sprayed the pulleys aluminum color so it was all black with aluminum.I like your 460 it reminds me of my Cleveland
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2011 at 8:01AM
Crites mounts with Hookers doesn't work so well... The hookers will "self clearance" themselves on the frame, given enough time however. I speak from experience. LOL
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2011 at 11:26AM
Agreed on the metal work. Looks like a very good repair.
This is one thing I would suggest, keeping contact information for the shop for others in the area.
If they did that with the metal work, I seriously see no reason why they won't be able to lay on a nice slick black paint job.
Was going to ask, what wheels and tires are you running right now?
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2011 at 4:40AM
Originally posted by 72 GTS 429 72 GTS 429 wrote:

Couple of questions Bob,
Are you using the Crites mounts? Do you or anyone know if those headers fit with factory Ford mounts?
Also what valve covers are you gonna use?
I did my Cleveland black with Black Wrinkle Ford Motorsport valve covers aluminum intake and sprayed the pulleys aluminum color so it was all black with aluminum.I like your 460 it reminds me of my Cleveland

Yes, I am using Crites mounts. They said the headers were made specifically for them, and they won't guarantee the fitment with stock mounts.

I was going to get a set of straight stock valve covers and just paint them aluminum. The current set is beat to hell. They actually had the stock stickers on them, and the previous dude had just painted over them. Everything else on the engine, except the intake, carb and distributor.

The one thing that I have no clue about is what I'm doing for an intake. I really want to do a http://www.ramairbox.com/ setup with the intake trumpets where the bright headlights would be, and then the tubing to the 14in round intake.

1972 Torino
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2011 at 5:22AM
Spectre sells a nice setup like the Ramairbox and it's cheaper. 
Paul
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2011 at 10:13AM
John-
I'd tell you...Blue Thunder Comp covers, with the PVC kit.
I love the set on my Cleveland. Spent more money than I should have, but it was a present to myself last year.
I ordered my set from Survival Motorsports.
The guy there {Barry} was nice over the phone and had been helpful.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2011 at 4:46PM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

Was going to ask, what wheels and tires are you running right now?

I am running stock 15x7" Mopar steelies (only bc I don't have a set of Ford steelies) and Cooper Cobra 275/60/15 in back, and 215/70/15 in the front. I am switching the tires onto a set of black Summit D-Window wheels since the front drivers side wheel got messed up a bit in the wreck.
1972 Torino
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12