The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Photo Gallery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

70 RS bowtie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70 RS bowtie
    Posted: 20-December-2011 at 4:33PM
Thought I would share some photos of a friends Camaro that I set up a shoot for an NZ magazine.
big block, with Huffer. Estimateded 1000hp at the flywheel, 5 speed stick.
Its a factory RS with stick, but block and box are long gone.

Guy that owns it --

1973 Q code sports roof
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2011 at 6:47PM
Sweet I like the 70 split bumper Camaro's,nice ride and love the huffer.
I actually started out liking Chevy's cause that is mainly what my family owned and my big brother who died his first car was a 67 RS/SS Camaro with hipo 350 4spd, aluminum slots,wide meats rear skinny front runners and sidepipes with line lock to smoke the rear tires as it was an ex drag car,had a roll bar in back,full factory interior and after it got totalled by some old bag who hit him,he got a 70 SS Chevelle 454 4spd mag wheels .So I was introduced to Chevy muscle at an early age and my first vehicle was Chevy and tnd2ndwas a 72 SS Monte Carlo 350 auto with.bucket console.Dummy me sold it and today that car would fetch $20K and I paid a wopping $500 for it.I didn't become a Ford guy till 1986 when my grandfather gave me his 72 Gran Torino wagon with 351C 2v,then I got a 73 base model Torino formal roof and had 2 Torino's till I cooked the Cleveland in the wagon and couldn't afford to replace it.

Edited by 72 GTS 429 - 21-December-2011 at 12:56AM
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2011 at 7:27PM
Here is his "spec sheet" copy and pasted in - 

Owned 4 years, been off the road with this build since Feb
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Satrted this build because I stripped lobe off old cam, and look
>>>>>>> where I
>>>>>>> am
>>>>>>> now......
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Original motor when purchased was 454. I worked this up to 560hp at
>>>>>>> the
>>>>>>> wheels which just wasn't doing it.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Took the plunge and traded that motor on a bored and stroked 572ci
>>>>>>> that
>>>>>>> was
>>>>>>> in pieces.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Now 604ci with a Mike Kuhl 8/71 blower. All the very very best of the
>>>>>>> best
>>>>>>> gear from bottom up. 70k motor +++++
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> First run on Dyno did 748hp a the wheels so yes, approx 1000 at
>>>>>>> flywheel,
>>>>>>> this was only with 6lb boost which is very mild. Once run in we will
>>>>>>> be
>>>>>>> looking for 1000 at the wheels when we hot the state of tune up.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Main assistance has been from C and M Automotive and Tuakau panel and
>>>>>>> paint
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Also has 4 point cage and is 5 spd manual
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Has been fully panel/painted from steel back.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Everything has been done properly, my once in a lifetime car.

1973 Q code sports roof
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2011 at 7:32PM
Forgive the swearing in it. I'm the idiot holding onto the camera and this video simply doesn't do this car justice. Take a look here --   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_sy9KcF_nc    
1973 Q code sports roof
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2011 at 1:45AM
What a nice Camaro. Looks like he did a great job.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
72BlackGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BlackGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2011 at 4:18AM
Gotta love that car. I don't care what brand is your favorite. Very nice, well executed build. Love the classic look of the stripes with rally wheels and then the blower whine! Just excellent.
Ron
1978 LTD II Sport-Green
2003 HD Road King Classic 100th Anniversary
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2011 at 5:04AM
I give him sh*t about it, telling him its a "belly-button" car (everyone has one) lol
Full credit to him and to be honest - If I was to get into a Camaro this one would be it, as I love that second generation with the round tail lights and aggressive front end. Then again what about an SS Chevelle. Basically my wish list would be far to long.
I drove this back from the photo shoot, only to make an idiot of myself. I couldn't get to grips with the competition clutch, and having to deal with city traffic, I was also uneasy with the "E" brake (I think that's what you Americans call it) for hill starts. In the end I only drove her for about 6 miles and hoped out saying OH !!!! HELL NO !!!!! you drive it. 
1973 Q code sports roof

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BlackGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2011 at 8:49AM
Admit it Kenneth, you are just not used to that much power driving from the LEFT hand side of the car!! I'd probably feel the same way if I was driving on the right side and shifting with my left hand. Not everyone has a belly button car like that one, thats for sure!!

Edited by 72BlackGTS - 21-December-2011 at 8:49AM
Ron
1978 LTD II Sport-Green
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2011 at 12:31PM

Ur on the money Ron.

Never in my life have I driven a car that need so much thought process to drive her  =

Huffer in the way

Heavy clutch & about half an inch rise of pedal, and she was fully engaged (triple plate)  

Lightning fast response on the loud pedal, to the point of almost un-driveable

At idle, when warm, needed to give it gas to keep the oil pressure up

Battery was as good as dead = stall it = #$#@

If you were not at about 2000 rpm or more, at any given time forget it  

It was the sort of car that you drive like it was stolen, and treated like it was a bitch, just to get satisfaction.

1973 Q code sports roof

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BlackGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2011 at 1:29AM
At least you did it once and you will have that memory forever. Ive driven vehicles with the blower up through the hood but NEVER from the opposite side of the car and NEVER have I had to shift a stick with my left hand. I can imagine how that felt. Not good at all!
Ron
1978 LTD II Sport-Green
ZCowher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2011 at 10:39AM
wow
ZC
2016 F-150 xl 2.7 liter
73 Gran Torino Formal roof, Ten damn years, and its almost there.
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2011 at 11:18AM
Making the transition from left to right handling of gears was surprisingly easy, but combining that with all the other issues was a bit over the top, especially while in central city traffic.
Its fair to say I will never do it again unless its an auto car, or I own the car.

I am surprised that there is not many right hook vehicles over your ways to play with. I would love to hear or see someone on here that has a Aussie/Kiwi Falcon or similar, or dear I say it a Holden, just so I can reciprocate in the way of parts & advise.
Only real problem I have found with a left hook car on our roads is trying to make a passing move. You need to call on your passenger (assuming you have one) to make the call in most instances.         
1973 Q code sports roof
antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2011 at 6:27AM
That is a sweet ride for a Slomaro. Just kidding, I bet it is fast. I have a buddy here with a 70 split bumper that is super sharp. If I had to own a Camaro it would definitely be one of these.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
 Post Reply Post Reply