The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Universal exhaust

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Universal exhaust
    Posted: 26-December-2011 at 11:27PM
Has anyone on this forum used a universal, header back, exhaust system? I am looking to install one from either Hedman or Summit, it would go from the headers to the mufflers only then I would have a local shop bend some tubing to go over/around the rear axle. I just wanted to know if they are any good or how they fit? I have enough room/clearance for a dual 3" system with X-pipe, but will probably go dual 2.5" because of lowering the vehicle. Thanks in advance for any & all replies. Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2011 at 2:35AM
I used a Flowmaster U Fit kit in combination with a 3" summit X pipe kit. For the first time doing this kinda thing, it went fairly well.

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
VorbottenO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VorbottenO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2011 at 3:02AM
My welding skills leave something to be desired and my local exhaust guy mandrel bent my exhaust with an h-pipe for $250 (I supplied mufflers).
Might consider the cost vs time factor.
Eric
72GTS-Ncode (429-477ci)

aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2011 at 10:38AM
Thank you. Psquare75 and VorbottenO, for the replies.
  Psquare75, how did you like the Summit 3" X-pipe kit and what type/brand of muffler did you go with? I like the sound of a Flowmaster 40/44 or a Thrush welded chamber muffler @ idle but I hear they drone like a son-of-a-gun at cruising RPM, that kinda steered me toward the Hooker maxflows. I will have to look into the Flowmaster "U" kit. 
 VorbottenO, $250 is a really good price for a mandrel bent dual exhaust w/H-pipe. That is the same price I got for a single exhaust with a cheap muffler for an '86 Isuzu pickup, non mandrel bent and that was 8 years ago. Around my neck of the woods $250 gets you a Y pipe behind the single muffler then new tubing from the "Y" out the back/side for dual exhaust. Thanks again guys for your replies, Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2011 at 11:51AM
I'm the last guy you want to ask about exhaust. I hate flowmasters. I had 'quiet' 70 series and sold them to Andy (Eliteman).. I thought they were too loud. 

I currently have Borla ProXS muffs on there. I will be changing the entire setup with a new X, HUGE case Dynomax Ultraflo mufflers AND 2.5" resonators. 

Personally I say save the Dronemasters for the Mustang/Camaro kids and the bubbas with the lifted trucks. We have some what classy souped up family cars. They need not sound like Pro-Street vehicles. 

This is a WOT dyno run.

FWIW, This is my F100.. 3" Super Turbos (long case) with resonators.

This is what I'm going for with my Cougar, ultimately..

http://youtu.be/AxN23wfw-Zs

I'd be happy to sell my setup to you, lol. 

Edited by Psquare75 - 27-December-2011 at 11:54AM
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
 Post Reply Post Reply