The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new rotors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dudeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new rotors
    Posted: 08-January-2012 at 7:33AM
so i got these new drilled and slotted rotors but i cannot find torque setting i do not believe there is i have new bearings and everything but how do you know when there on tight. i am very confused on this subject any help would be great.
        dudeman
dudeman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dudeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2012 at 7:34AM
forgot to add it is a 1971 ford torino 500. 
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2012 at 8:50AM
What I do.

First, I reassemble everything leaving the nut on the spindle finger tight.
Second, I put the wheel back on.
Third, I spin the wheel and as the wheel is spinning I'm snugging that nut with a wrench (it won't take much). At the same time I'm aware of the hole in the spindle for the cotter pin.

What you want to be careful of is crushing the bearing cage. You will notice the wheel slow a bit as you are tightening. Don't go too far, the cage will flex but you can crush it if you go too far. Once you notice the "drag" on the wheel as it's spinning note the location of the hole in the spindle and how the slots in the retainer line up.
If it turns out you have to back off the spindle nut slightly, do so. The drag is cause by a flexing of the bearing cage and will cause excess friction and premature bearing failure. Once the hole in the spindle and a slot in the retainer line up grab the wheel and rock the wheel top and bottom. Not a bad idea to check side to side while you are at it. You can check play in the ball joints and steering linkage while you are there. If the wheel bearing is loose you'll know it. It will take very little effort rocking the wheel to feel it.      

Edited by lynchster - 08-January-2012 at 8:52AM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2012 at 10:12AM
If you are looking for a tourqe spec to feel safe I have used 12 Inch pounds on my front rotor bearings for years as a reference and have never had a problem with bearings.
dudeman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dudeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2012 at 4:28AM
thanks guys helps alot i will get to it as soon as i get time.

dudeman 
 Post Reply Post Reply