The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Specifications

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colonelsandersman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Specifications
    Posted: 14-January-2012 at 5:26AM
I've been trying to get a good idea of factory specs for my 1973 Gran torino 351w and I can never find a straight answer, I've had websites give me completely different results for power ratings; all the way from 161 hp to 260hp. If any ones know a good website that gives accurate information that would be a great help.
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2012 at 7:14AM
This is some information that am quoting from the Chilton's repair and tune up guide that I have owned for about 15 years. Depending on the application there are a few different spec's 

73 351W 2 barrel carb (modle 2150)

156 hp @3800 rpm      260 ft lb tourqe  @ 2400 rpm   8.0:1 compression

154-159 hp @4000 rpm    246-250 ft lb tourqe @ 2400 rpm 

oil pressure 50 -70 psi @2000 rpm

The problem with the 73 modle year is that was the worst year for Fords power ratings due to the extreme detuning of the engines so they could meet the new federally mandated emmission spec's

Not a big deal these days to upgrade and fix just though you might want to know. Also a car built for use in CA (where spec's are much tighter) where the spec's where tighter might have less power than one say built for use in Tenn.

Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2012 at 8:16AM
Well, to be honest, but not to get on a sidetrack, but it's like the 351 cleveland and 429 stuff...assuming the timing chain has been replaced with anything but a stock replacement, dropping in a good double roller chain, with a multi-point sprocket can set the timing back to the earlier engines {IE, setting back to straight zero, instead of the 4 degrees retarded will help things a bit.

As far as the actual specs, what are you shooting for? The 351w from '73...well, I am biased towards clevelands, but I've never considered this era great on the 302 or 351w...no, swap out the heads for something better, and the other typical things, and it'll bring a lot of life to a stock lump.

The 260HP rating was for the Cleveland Cobra Jet 4 barrel engine if I recall.

Locally, there is a guy selling some 351W heads that are some sort of hi-po heads...
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
colonelsandersman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colonelsandersman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2012 at 4:04PM
Appreciate it
 Post Reply Post Reply