The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Door panel removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Door panel removal
    Posted: 18-January-2012 at 12:27PM

Here's the deal.  My driver side window (manual not power) worked fine for the last few weeks but suddenly decided to give me problems.  The window will roll down without a problem but hangs up when I try to roll it up.  It goes up a little and stops and then I have to back it off and crank again.

I don't want to force it so I need to take the door panel off and see what the problem is.  I'm hoping all I need to do is lube everything.

So, how much trouble can I get into?  They're just held on with some clips, right?  So remove the window crank and anything else holding it in place, pry the panel off and then snap it back into place when I'm done?

The good news with this little problem is at least I'll be able to replace the 36 year-old speaker while the panel is off. 

ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2012 at 12:30PM
Clips all around, and few screws in the lever area, don't forget the screw in the window crank
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2012 at 12:37PM
I recommend using a door panel removing tool.you run the risk of tearing the cardboard backing if you aren't careful.Thumbs Down
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2012 at 1:56PM
There's two 3/8 bolts on the bottom side of the arm rest, use a nut driver or a deepwell socket. You have a plastic roller that has probably disintergrated from age, causing the problem. They're available on e bay, Dearborn Classics, & the Mustang places for pretty cheap.
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2012 at 3:00PM
Originally posted by Ranchero Fan Ranchero Fan wrote:

There's two 3/8 bolts on the bottom side of the arm rest, use a nut driver or a deepwell socket. You have a plastic roller that has probably disintergrated from age, causing the problem. They're available on e bay, Dearborn Classics, & the Mustang places for pretty cheap.

yep.  my diagnosis as well.  mine (which i havent fixed yet) is the same exact problem.  the little plastic roller broke and when i would roll it down, it would roll up a little then stop or fall back into the door.  i would crank it back down and when it caught i could sometimes roll it back up.  its probably the little wheel.

cant be too upset about that little roller, that is the tipping point that i finally decided that it was time to start my restoration.  when i do fix it, i will keep that broken roller for posterity.
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
kent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2012 at 3:06PM
Thanks guys -  I continue to REALLY appreciate your help!  Thumbs Up 
Kent
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2012 at 4:56PM
1973 Q code sports roof
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2012 at 3:00PM
Motormite/help sells the roller too.  you can get it at any parts store that carries this line. bought mine from there.
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply