The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 GTSFB roller paint project link

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonym9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 GTSFB roller paint project link
    Posted: 21-January-2012 at 2:40AM
Hi guys. Normally I'm on Torinocobra but have lurked here for a long time. I finally created an account here since I'm mostly a 72 guy and have been since 87.

I tried the Tremec (rustoleum) Charger paint deal.

I posted a detailed how to on torinocobra's tech forum.

I'm putting a link to it here.

Lots of pix and info.

I may just c/p the info so there is a direct post here. Not real good with the computer so will play with it.

http://www.torinocobra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24284

Edited by 72 GTS 429 - 22-January-2012 at 12:11PM
72 GTSFB
NwOh_Starsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NwOh_Starsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2012 at 3:39PM
I have seen this done before on another forum.  Looks great, I may try this with the safety blue.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2012 at 2:36AM
Excellent article. Thanks!
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2012 at 7:57AM
Welcome Tony. I guess I'm the opposite of you. I frequent this forum and lurk at TorinoCobra. There seems to be more "flamers" over there than here so I don't post much. This forum was getting a little "chippy" but it's cleared up lately. I followed your Rustoleum project pretty closely but I'd never have the patience to tackle one. You sold that car, didn't you?
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2012 at 9:43AM
I've found something better than (not cheaper) the roller painting idea. You know that Plastidip stuff they use to dip tool handles to make them easier to grip? You can spray that stuff on a car with a Wagner Power Painter. I'm totally serious. Check out DipYourCar.com It's flat, matte looking stuff. But it comes in plenty of colors and there are metallics and glossifiers you can add to make metallics and glossy colors. Here's an example:

Before, faded blue Sunfire

After, purple Sunfire

I'm very serious when I say this is how I will get my sedan "painted" because I want to start by coating it in the matte white and then I'll add the glossifier and see how nice it can look like that. Then I might experiment and see if I can make a silver blue glow, HAHAHA! Not spending three grand to do it will be nice. You can just PEEL IT OFF. You don't have to mask anything off really. Just paint the car and peel off the stuff you don't want painted. Like emblems, window trim, tires, lights, even your glass areas. Of course you might cover the windshield just because it'd take forever to peel it off and if it's too light you might have to get out a razor blade to scrape off the real thin stuff.

Search Plastidip car on YouTube and you'll find all sorts of how-to videos. Stuff is more expensive than roller painting but cheaper than real paint. The biggest investment is the Wagner gun (or any HVLP gun can work but you want to set it right).

Edited by occupant - 27-August-2012 at 9:45AM
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2012 at 7:46AM
I have to admit it's kinda' cool, but with a little less work, provided you have a compressor, a gun and your other necessities, you can do it pretty cheap with the right paint. You need something a little more durable in today's world, with all the brats running around and careless peeps parking next to you who have no respect.
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2012 at 12:03PM
Of course, but then you can't change color as often as you'd like, and it's messy and if you don't do it right the first time you can't just start over without scraping and sanding and all that.

It's not meant to be permanent and I wouldn't do it so, but it would be nice to be able to change color at will, you know? If I suddenly want to tape off a Starsky shaped stripe and do the rest of my white car in red, then run a thin black pinstripe around that stripe, I could literally turn my car into an S&H clone sedan inside of 24 hours. Then peel it off when I get sick of it and want my solid color again.

I'm buying some of the cans and using some test items to try out some color mixes. I have an old non-functional laptop, a grille for an air intake for the house air conditioner, and an old Nylint toy pickup truck. At least it's a Ford-ish looking thing.

I'm thinking 3 parts bright blue, 1 part gunmetal gray, then go over it with silver clear metallic, should get me Silver Blue Glow or something VERY close to it.
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
tonym9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonym9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2012 at 1:45PM
Stan,

Yes, sold it to a local Chebbie Guy who loves it. His buddys can't believe how it was painted. He stays in touch. Sold him some ex mani's a while back since he didn't want headers anymore.

After all the work I'd do it again...and will on a 70 that I have. Maybe will do it on my other 72 FB too.

I'll take shortcuts this time. Like not stripping to metal...

Tony

72 GTSFB
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2012 at 2:11AM
Looked at that again. Marvelous job. I painted an '88 Bronco II with the Rustoleum Black a couple of years ago. Took zero pains, never sanded between coats, didn't thin, used a regular paint roller. Paint looked 6 inches thick and huge orange peel. Let it sit a couple of weeks out in the sun (garaging at night for the first couple of nights) and it smoothed out quite a bit but still looked like what it was - a bad roller job. Thought to myself, at least it is not multicolor 2 tone blue, rust and primer anymore. After that couple of weeks, I decided to color sand it and buff to see what was really there. Much better, but NOWHERE NEAR as nice as yours. Your extra prep and attention to detail/steps made yours look incredibly good.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
 Post Reply Post Reply