The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

351c head gasket thickness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351c head gasket thickness
    Posted: 22-January-2012 at 2:58AM
I've been searching and cannot find anything.
I would like to know if anyone of you knows the gasket thickness used from factory, or from those rebuild kit. I called felpro and the representative is clueless.

I plan on running as thin as I can for the gasket, while staying in MLS, I don't want to go copper and have the head machined for it

Thanks
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2012 at 5:55AM
There are two listed if I remember correctly. One is .038 and the other either .042 or .044. Again if I remember correctly the .038 is for the 2V and is worth .2 compression used on a 4V engine. I'll have to find that article again.  
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2012 at 7:33AM
MLS requires special surface prep on both the block and head deck surface, specifically a smoother finish than what cast iron has been machined to

without the spec Ra finish the MLS gaskets WILL FAIL in short order if they EVER SEAL AT ALL

Fel-Pro 8347PT-1's and 1013's are .041"
72 GT Ute

ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2012 at 11:37AM
the MLS I was looking to is 0.38" I guess it's not worth the trouble. I can't wait to pull off the heads to be sure of what they are. I saw yesterday I have some kind of fancy harmonic balancer, so I keep my hopes high for the heads, the previous owner seemed to have not looked at the prices when upgrading his car Smile
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2012 at 8:08AM
with the info i gave you in the other thread you don't have to pull them off to see what they are

valve cover gaskets are a lot cheaper than head gaskets
72 GT Ute

ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2012 at 11:35AM
I'm gonna yank the cam and the valves, I have to remove the heads.
I wonder what cam I have, car ran 15.39 at the 1/4 mile and speed was 90 mph.
It has a 2.75 open leg, I wonder how much power it made, if you guys have an idea with those number, it would be cool 
 Post Reply Post Reply