The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

400 m rough running problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 400 m rough running problems
    Posted: 20-June-2006 at 2:46PM
Confused   now that i have my starting broblem solved next on the list are that the motor runs rough and has black smoke i beleive that i have a carb problem (suggestions on adjustment would be helpful) and a vaccum problem as i do not know where the individual lines should be connected i do have an exhaust leak at the headers so i ordered copper gaskets from sumitt to hopefully solve this i went to a ford motorsport air cleaner which elimated one vacuum line which i blocked off and ford motorsport valve covers which employ breather caps  therefore i blocked off the large line on the rear of the carb  i checked the timing and it is 10 degrees btc  exchanging the engines was easy only took six hours to pull two engines and install one but the details are killing me please help i want to drive my car
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2006 at 3:28PM
How old is the gas in the carbs float bowl?
conard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2006 at 7:30PM
ONLY ABOUT TWO WEEKS I WAS THINKING ALONG THOES LINES ALSO SO I PUT ABOUT FIFTEEN GALLONS OF HIGH TEST IN IT
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2006 at 1:48AM
  Is your PCV valve hooked up? It should be attached to the big line you blocked off. Also to set the carb for a baseline, use a vacuum gauge and adjust the idle mixture screws out untill you get the best vacuum reading on the gauge. Individually of course screw one in and adjust it out to the highest reading. Also could have a power valve blown out as well. Gary
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2006 at 1:57AM
Also check all your plugs and wire routing..  It is possible to have a misfire (one fouled or wet plug) or two cylinders crossed up on the routing.  When in doubt, with vacuum lines, disconnect all of them and plug them at the intake.  Unless you still have EGR, I don't think anything else needs vacuum for the car to idle..  If the car runs better, you can reconnect them until it runs bad again..  If you do still have the EGR plate, check it, I've heard they can burn out and cause problems..

Jim
1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2006 at 3:04AM
Not only burn up, but literally clog up and catch fire!
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
conard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2006 at 7:35AM
HI I SOLVED IT IT WAS A BAD COIL WHEN I TOOK THE COIL WIRE OFF THERE WAS COIL OIL ON IT SO I PUT AN MSD ON IT AND IT RUNS FINE EXCEPT FOR SOME CARB ADJUSTMENT IDLE ETC IT SHOULD BE RIGHT AND NOT TO SOUND OVERLY STUPID  WHAT IS A POWER VALVE ?  MESSAGE TO JIM I AM THE GUY WHO TALKED TO YOU AT CARISLE ON SUNDAY I AM ONE STEP CLOSER I HAVE TWO NOS FENDERS AND WILL BE READY FOR PAINT IN APPROX 1 MONTH IF ANYBODY KNOWS OF A GOOD PAINT SHOP THAT CAN DO MINOR RUST REPAIR IN PA NEAR MARYLAND SEND THE INFO PLEASE  THANKS ONCE AGAIN  CONARD
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2006 at 7:35AM
Excellent news !  Can't wait to see some pics of the car.

Power valve is an enrichment circuit on Holley carbs that adds fuel under heavy load (low vacuum).  IIRC, it allows a smaller primary jet size and theoretically, more efficiency.  That's why you'll see staggered jetting on carbs with them and square on carbs without.. 

Two problems with them are that if you have very low idle vacuum, they can actually add fuel thinking you are under load, and prior to the blow proof units, a good backfire could destroy them.

(BTW, the only shops I know of out there are full service, you'd want a fender repair and would walk out with a resoration and an empty bank account)

Jim

Edited by JimW - 21-June-2006 at 7:41AM
1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2006 at 4:09PM
Glad to hear it was only the coil. Jim W is right about the vacuum lines and so is Paul Do away with the EGR if you have it waste of time.  Gary
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

conard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2006 at 8:04PM
SO TO MAKE SURE THAT I UNDERSTAND I CAN REMOVE THE PLATE UNDER THE CARB THEN BOLT THE CAR DIRECTLY TO THE INTAKE  THIS WOULD ELIMANATE THE VACCUM ON THE CIRCULAT THINGIE (NOT TO SOUND TO TECHNICAL) AND THE EGR HOLE THAT I STILL HAVE PLUMBED TO THE LEFT VALVE COVER  THANKS  CONARD
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2006 at 2:29AM
The thing plumbed to the left valve cover is the PCV, no problem in retaining that, it should be run to the air cleaner, the EGR port will come from the intake manifold flange.  I've never just removed the plate (always replaced the intake at that point with non-egr Edelbrock).  I imagine you'd want to block off the hole in the intake as well, since letting the hot ex gasses hit the carb may not help things much..  Again, I've never stuck with the factory 2bbl, so I can't say other than in theory..  

Jim
1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2006 at 6:26AM
A poor mans way to do itwas a piece of sheet metal between the EGR and intake, with some gasket, and block the proper vacuum lines.
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2006 at 1:43AM
    The PCV valve has to have manifold vacuum to operate. How would you do that going to the air cleaner? Gary

JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2006 at 1:49AM

I believe you are correct, I was thinking of something else..  (It's been more than 12 years since I had one on my car)  What was the large hose going to the air cleaner housing that had a small filter on it?  I do recall the large hose going to the carb base as well (and messing with it to get the car to pass emissions).. 

FWIW, inside of a stock air cleaner housing, there will be a slight vacuum at higher engine speeds.

Jim
1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2006 at 6:25PM
  You're like me , been so long since any of that has been on my car that I have trouble remembering smog related devices! LOL! Seems like it was a form of breather from the other valve cover.                          Gary

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2006 at 3:21AM
That was just an engine vent into the air cleaner, not the PCV.. the PCV was on the other side.
Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply