The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steering Gear and Ratio

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MontegoMan351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Gear and Ratio
    Posted: 22-June-2006 at 2:20PM

I have been loking on the internet for a while now and still have yet to find info.  I am looking for info about replacing the power steering gearbox with a gear with less turns to lock.  My car is a '73 Montego MX 351c 2v EFI daily driver.  I have already upgraded most of the bushings w/ urethane replacements, also 1 1/8" front and 5/8" rear sway bars, and new front and rear springs to replace the old saggy ones.  I have also upgraded to the '72 t'bird rotors. It handles well for a 4-door car, and takes corners nicely, however the factory steering ratio suuuuuuuuucks.Angry  My car has the factory Thompson pump and gear.  Does anyone know of a quicker ratio ford box that is not a saginaw?  I have looked on NAPA's website and found a '85 Crown Vic box that offers 3 1/4 turns to lock and a '96 Crown Vic police box that offers 3 5/16 turns to lock and they both look similar to the box on mine and the lines have the same thread.  Has anyone swapped an old one out for a newer box, any issues with the pitman arm, mounting, etc..  Can the factory pump handle this?  Can I reload the factory box with newer, quicker ratio internals?  Has anyone attempted this?  My mom has a '96 Crown Vic Retired Det.car and I like the feel of its steering, that is what got me thinking of this swap.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,  Chris.

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2006 at 2:38PM

Look in the 77-79 Board.. I did the swap... using a 71 Mustang box.. Ratio SPA-T. 3 turns lock to lock. Best you'll get that is a bolt on.. It's a Saginaw... just change the hoses to match.. I originally had the Ford box.

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2006 at 1:36AM
Paul is right I changed mine back in 78 and the box is great also it is variable ratio so at speed you have a little more feel for the road. Good swap!   GAry
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
MontegoMan351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MontegoMan351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2006 at 11:49AM
I can't find one, all the parts stores do not list the spa-t.  Nor do they list a Mustang even having a handling package to which this gear is used on.  Where can I find one?  Shot in the dark at the junkyard, most the older cars have already been crushed.  Are there other cars that may have this gear?  Thanks, Chris.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2006 at 12:03PM
http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/steering.htm

Thats the box

I got mine on eBay for $30 a few years ago.

This guy has them but a bit pricey.

That was with 30 seconds of googling.

Whatever you do, don't bother with Autozone/Pep Boys.. they list the same part # box for ALL these cars.. with the crummy 4:1 ratio.
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
MontegoMan351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MontegoMan351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2006 at 6:25AM
Thanks guys, I'll see if I can find one.  Maybe I'll get lucky. Chris
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2006 at 3:58PM
Check with http://www.cancraft.com  Steering Systems, they can build one for you.
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2006 at 6:32AM
If money is no object, buy the gear I did - from AGR. It is variable ratio.

This post has pictures:

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
 Post Reply Post Reply