The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

400 starting problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 400 starting problems
    Posted: 24-June-2006 at 7:02PM
hi its me again every time i think i have this licked something else pops up
      now my problem is lack of fire when i turn the key or use my remote starter i don't get any spark until i release it then i usually will get a spark as the engine stops spinning any suggestions   thanks  conardDeadDeadDeadDeadConfusedConfusedConfused
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2006 at 6:06AM
The Red-Blue Stripe wire is connected to the"S" terminal of the Starter Relay. The "I" terminal provides 12 volts only while you are turning the key to start the engine.
The "I" terminal usually connected to the Ignition Coil. If you have an Auto Transmission, its possible your Neutral Safety Switch which is in series on the Red-Blue wire could be defective and may cause your starting problems. I replaced mine with a B&M NSS which was on the ratchet shifter and it works perfect. Any curcuit that has to have 12 volts going to it while the engine is starting should be connected to the "I" terminal on the Starter Relay also. The "I" terminal does not provide 12 volts after the engine has started, if you have a curcuit connected to it that needs a constant 12 volt feed it will provide a short burst of power and then shut off.         
conard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2006 at 7:43PM
here is the update while cranking the engine over if i release some of the pressure the engine will fire and start  it kind of acts as an anti theft device but i still want to make it right   conard
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2006 at 1:49AM
   I had that that problem with my Duraspark and it was the stator in the distributor. It would fire just as you were releasing the pressure on the ignition switch.
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
conard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2006 at 3:56AM
thanks is this an easy repair  conard
conard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2006 at 4:30PM
hey i finally installed the ignition switch i was told that all you had to do was to unbolt the steering column and you could reach it  good luck i couldn't i had to pull the dash pad and the defroster and get it from the top but once you do that it is an easy job and it solved my problem  thanks once again   conard
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2006 at 1:44AM
I usually pull the gauge cluster to reach the ignition switch.
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
conard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2006 at 2:08AM
actually that was my firse choice but i did not know how to disconnect the speedo cable if you could send along that info i would appricate it  thanks  conard
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2006 at 3:45AM
Ah! That helps.. It's not a 'screw on' type, but a 'clip' type. If you still have the dash pad off, look at the cable, and you'll see a white clip at the end of the cable. Basically, push it to one side, and slide the cable off. They can be a PITA if they haven't been moved in awhile/at all ever.
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
conard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2006 at 7:20AM
THANKS BECAUSE IT LOOKS LIKE I'M STILL AT THE DRAWLING BOARD IT STARTED AND RAN FINE LAST NIGHT BUT TO DAY IT IS DOING THE SAME THING I'M GOING TO LOOK AT THE NUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH NEXT IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER IDEAS THEY WOULD BE APPRICATED   CONARD
conard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2006 at 8:26AM
AN UPDATE I JUST FOUND OUT THAT THE ENGINE WILL CRANK NO MATTER WHAT GEAR THE TRANS IS IN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2006 at 4:49AM
Bad neutral switch shouldn't crank in any position only park & neutral.  Gary
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

conard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2006 at 7:47PM
  hi my ignition box came in and it fixed my problem went for a 40 mi ride just to get an ice cream good time one further question i remover the vapor canister and blocked off the hose comming from the gas tank is this correct  thanks  conard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2006 at 1:20AM
I would think that you should leave that line open to atmosphere .

Post Reply Post Reply