The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

S&H stripe help please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: S&H stripe help please
    Posted: 05-February-2012 at 1:51PM

As my car is very close to. paint,I'm looking for some help with the stripe.I want to dupicate the original factory style.I'm looking for good close-up shots  of an original factory stripe/measurments of placement.I'd like original stripe photos as opposed to repaint photos.If anyone could assist me with this I'd greatly appreciate it.I've looked at john&penny's site but can't seemed to get any good close-up shots of what I'm looking for,thanks in advance.

John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2012 at 2:18PM
John,
See if this helps.....

Good Luck with your project!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2012 at 2:21PM

John, you also may want to try here:

It's a whole site dedicated to S&H Torinos and I know there is a link or 2, and a template that is on the site as well.  Good luck, let us know how you make out!
~Chris
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2012 at 2:27PM
FYI, the Detective Brent Stripe Kit from Brent Williams is no longer a valid link.... has been dead for a couple years now. Cry

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2012 at 3:05PM
Joe,I've seen this diagram,looks to be a factory issued to dealer for adding the stripe at the dealership.Its not very clear on all measurments.this may help me if I can get a clear copy of this,but I'd still also like some actual photos of all areas of the  factory stripe/measurments.Chris,as I stated I tried starskytorino web site,not looking for the detective brent stripe or movie show style.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2012 at 6:44PM
well it may be a repaint but Justin's 74 S&H clone has the correct looking stripe and to me is done how it should be and would certainly use it as an example even though it's not the Factory Limited Edition car. There were so many variances with the TV cars  and probably why you want measurements and photo's off the 1 of 1000 Limited Edition S&H cars but Justin's car looks appropriate and would copy his if it were mine

Edited by 72 GTS 429 - 05-February-2012 at 6:46PM
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2012 at 9:57PM
John,

Watch your email for a better version of the illustration that the dimensions are clearer on....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2012 at 10:28PM
it would be good if we could get a better photo posted on here for future reference for others who need to repaint the stripe.If someone can get  a better resized diagram lt would be great to have that info for all to see
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2012 at 2:03AM
John,

Ran across a pic of my old LE that shows the factory layout pretty well...

Hope this helps.....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Starsky74Torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Starsky74Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2012 at 2:49AM
Hi John,
Joes picture of his LE Starsky is the best orig picture I have seen, a good painter could look at that picture and get his own measurements.. its not difficult.. and a template could be made quite easily.
for my stripe I wanted it to look like the thicker wider stripe that is seen in the first series.. (the pilot and the opening credits use the same spec car as in series 2,3 and 4..
as previously stated the stripe constantly changed because of the damage caused during filming and after series 1 the car was just like the one used in the opening credits with the chrome trim down the sides and big chrome mirrors..
Joes is the nicest looking LE Starsky ive seen so if I were you I would print out a picture of Joes and have it enlaged over the rear wheel to real size and theres your template, I believe if if you copy a pic of Joes and put it on a USB memory stick and take it to Kinko's they can print it life size..heres an example picture to show what I mean 
best of luck.
Justin
P.S. My car was painted in Stratford CT,Ed Szymansky pianted her.. he could do a brilliant job for you prob just by looking at the picture of Joes car...his number is 203 375 1966

EmbarrassedUPDATE.. Ive been watching the show non stop to refresh my memory and I was a little off with my facts so I have changed the above info to correct my mistakes...thanks all..LOL

Edited by Starsky74Torino - 08-February-2012 at 4:20AM
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2012 at 1:28PM
Well,Jeff iI have to agree with you on Justin's stripe.Thumbs UpI like the factory style breaks in the stripe along with the wider band towards the roof.I'd like to thank everyone for their input.Justin I'll PM you.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2012 at 3:20PM

I decided to go with Justins version of S&H stripe.Many thanks to Jeff for suggesting justins stripe and Justin himself for sending a template for me to trace onto my car.I had the car repainted it's original 2M dark red and added the S&hH stripe.You can check out my car in project update section.

John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2012 at 4:53PM
it came out great John.
what I hate is the ones who make the back of the stripe round instead of the flat angles with rounded corner's like it is suppose to be.
 To me your stripe looks how it should be, tell your stripe guy hey did an awesome job with the layout
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2012 at 9:49PM
John,

I agree, your car is looking GREAT and can't wait to see it finished! I see you shot it in the fashion that Movie Mike used on the movie cars, black followed by white, followed by red, followed by clearcoat. NICE!!

For the record, the ORIGINAL TV STRIPE IS ROUNDED ALONG THE BACK... almost like a NIKE stripe. Here is a picture of the REAL deal (TV Hero #1 from seasons 2 thru 4) for reference....

It's been so long since we've seen what the original stripe looked like that many have forgotten it's roots. Even Ford got it wrong, big time, when they did their S&H LE's!! The movie stripe was different as well.

If you are replicating the factory cars, the straight angled back is correct but if you are replicating the movie or TV cars, the trailing edge is rounded. So I guess it boils down to what you like and are trying to duplicate!

Again great job on your stripe!!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 27-April-2012 at 1:43AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2012 at 11:44PM
reason why it's rounded like that ,they followed the quarter glass but that stripe is more symmetrical
I have seen them where they start rounding the curve to far forward and then up the sail panel and it just looks really bad.Ford did it their way and if your going to make a Replica and want it like a
PS122 then do the LE stripe like what's on John and Justin's car. AS John stated he wanted the Factory LE stripe not TV or movie
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2012 at 1:53AM
Easy Jeff,

Wasn't knocking John's, Justin's or anybody else's Torino. I love them all!! Yeah, I've seen the poor attempts at the stripe on Torinos... and just about everything else under the sun!

I had a PS122 new back in the day and had her for over 15 years before I had a brain fart and sold her! But all during the time I had her, I always knew something wasn't right about the factory stripe but couldn't put my finger on what was wrong. VCR's were a new and high dollar item and this was pre-Internet, so finding pictures and info about the TV cars was non-existant.

I personally am building a tribute to the car that started the craze... humpback and all! LOL

Edited by TV 2M8O - 27-April-2012 at 1:55AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
 Post Reply Post Reply