The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: Core/Radiator Support Bushing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2013 at 9:35AM
John,

Here is a link to the two installments on my blog concerning the core support removal & bushings. May be some helpful info....

and a topic I started here on the forum about the same thing...
Joe I combined both threads so I deleted the link in this post. Admin-Regul8r(Carl) March 23rd, 2015

Keep up the progress!

Edited by Regul8r - 23-March-2015 at 2:59PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2015 at 2:23PM
Not sure why this thread was locked and not stickied!

I just unlocked it, made it a sticky AND am combining the other thread into it to consolidate the info.
SO, I may read a little funny as when I move posts they land in the original post's date order.

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2015 at 4:13PM
my bad! i never updated this as to what i used Embarrassed these are the energy suspension bushings that i used for the core support # 9.4102R
   Energy Suspension Universal Mounts/Isolators (9.4102R)
my frame was a little thin where the bushings sit, so i used a 1 1/4" flat washer (from the local hardware store) and trimmed the edge and welded it in place: (this also makes up the proper thickness for the bushing!) one for each side... passenger and driver side

and i used two new 1/2" X4"? grade 8 bolts with poly lock nuts

Edited by californiajohnny - 23-March-2015 at 4:42PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2015 at 4:24PM
this is the diagram as to how these bushings go:

the bolt goes up through the bottom, core support sits on top of this assembly, then a thick 1/2" washer (not supplied) is placed on top of the core support, then the poly lock nut (there is no bushing on top of the core support!!!)(just a thick washer and nut!)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2015 at 4:50PM
in the upper right corner of this pic you can see the bolt and nut sticking up through the assembled bushing (you should have 1" minimum sticking out above the bushing top washer, to allow for the core support and thick washer and any shims needed as well as the lock nut!)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
buickracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote buickracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2015 at 5:18PM
Everyone,

I contacted a company at sema and gave the a body mount.  They are going to give me an estimate to produce new urethane bushings. The metal parts will need to be reused. If you would be interested please let me know. The more I order the price will be lower.  I should have an estimate near the first of December. I will work with the same company to make radiator core bushing next.  If anyone would like to email me please.  btracingparts@gmail.com.
gran torino sport
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2016 at 5:00PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

my bad! i never updated this as to what i used Embarrassed these are the energy suspension bushings that i used for the core support # 9.4102R

Do you know if they have a part number for black ones? Do you remember the diameter of the hole in your frame or the outer diameter of the bushing that fit it?
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2016 at 6:14PM
chuck: black # 9.4102G
i welded a flat washer to the top of the frame holes to increase the proper thickness and due to the fact that my frame holes were a little thin from rusting under the original bushings. per the diagram here for these bushings it shows a 1 1/4" hole so then i used a 1 1/4" flat washer it was about 1/8" thick so with the 1/8" thickness of the frame and the washer totals 1/4" thickness as in the diagram!("recommended plate")  ***note--- your core support will sit on top of this completed assembly***

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2016 at 11:58PM
Thanks for this info. I'm going to buy the bushing set for the gold base car and the red base wagon, since the clips are off both cars. Should not take too much effort to jack up the body enough to clean and paint the mating surfaces of all the body mounts and install the new bushings.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2016 at 2:55PM
For one reason or another I have the holes at 1 1/16". Leaves me with two choices. Different bushings or drill the holes in the painted frame..........  
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2016 at 4:13PM
chuck, maybe the 72's are a little different? are your frame holes round or slightly hex shaped? IIRC mine were hex shaped and the washer just covered that original hole, the extended inner part of the upper bushing should fit into the large washers. if you have the new bushings you can see the size of flat washers you will need to get, and then lay the washer on the frame over the hole and use the washer for a template to mark where and how much to enlarge the frame holes if necessary Wink those bushings are fairly large and will hide any marring of the paint (as long as you don't go all crazy "mid-evil" on it enlarging the holesShocked) and after your finished you can just dab on some primer and paint for protection with a small brush, which will be totally hidden by the bushings Big smile 

Edited by californiajohnny - 26-August-2016 at 4:35PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2016 at 6:34PM
I think I've remembered the situation that's led me to this point.
The original openings in the frame were in fact hexagonal and my choice for replicating that in a circle was to use the measurement for the "flats". If I'd have used the "points" I'd have had the 1 1/4" measurement.  

Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2016 at 7:28PM
something that i forgot to mention, i also used two of these 1/2" flat bolt retainers on top of the bushing (one per each side) to hold the bolt up in the bushings and put the upper gold washer over that and snugged it all down with a regular 1/2" nut to compress it all then removed the nut. so it's all together just like the original bushings were then the core support can be placed on top just like factory.

1000 BULK Qty-Push Nut Bolt Retainer For 1/2&quot; Bolt Size - 15/16&quot; OD(9299B2)  available at the local hardware store

Edited by californiajohnny - 07-January-2018 at 4:19PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2016 at 2:20PM
At the moment I'm using cut pieces of 2X4's so I can mount the radiator to run the car. LOL

Edited by lynchster - 28-August-2016 at 2:21PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2016 at 7:41AM
Okay, I just went though this 2 weeks ago...

I boggled this for a while.  One thing I could not quite understand is why Ford put one rubber bushing under/in the frame and one on top (but under the radiator mount).

This presented the problem - I could not find big enough bushings to fit (Stop me if you've heard this before, lol). The holes in my frame were about 2+ inches across.  Not sure if that is rust or what, but thats pretty big, as you have all found out.

Sooo. I ended up buying a similar kit to CalJohy.  9.4101 (not red).  A replacement bolt (3x1/2 course thread) and a 2in washer per side.  The key to the 4.4101/2 kit is that the two pieces are designed to fit together tightly.   One fits inside the other.  

My process:

I ground the area clean and welded on some pretty thick sheet steel I had around to basically cover/fill the factory hole. 

I measured and marked the center of the frame rails and the rad mount and lined them up, so its centered. I knew from previous measurements it is 44 inches from the firewall to the edge of the rad support at the hood stop.  So that gave me a ball park front/back spot.

I marked the center of the rad support hole and drilled into the new steel.  

Then I basically put it back together but the urethane bushing sat on TOP of the frame rail and sandwiched the rad support.  I did add a 2in washer to the head side of the bolt under (inside) the frame rail to shore that up a bit but no bushing. 

My 2 extra washers plus what came with the kit had it all together in 10 min (not counting welding and grinding).  

The rad support sits the correct amount off the frame (approx 1 inch) and is held in place by 2 urethane bushings to allow it to move (not sure why is mounted on bushings either, but that;s a different discussion).

I suspect, using this method, you could use smaller bushings.  Seems 2 inch work well. I'll try and post pic's later this week.

Thanks !
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2016 at 11:57AM
The reason for the bushings on both sides of the frame is to isolate the vibrations from the frame to the body and to allow any twisting between body and frame if needed
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2016 at 7:30PM
I never added to this. Sorry for not being around much in the last few years and trying to help provide this info!

Here is what I did:
So here's an original core support with bushings. 
I originally got core support busings for an 80's LTD from a local ford dealer that has NOS stock. These turned out to be the wrong material and too soft and they collapsed.

At this point my car is totally in the Joe Dirt stage and just barely under it's on running power...

Originally I bought a strut rod kit from Energy suspension for a 60's Nova 2 but while it fit fine, it was not right. 

Enter the Energy suspension unreal mount kit:

Here is the universal mount kit vs. the smaller nova kit:

This universal kit is a bit larger but not to worry:

Keep in mind at this point I'm a moron and thinking I need to enlarge the opening on the rad support, but not the case. I had to clean up the frame holes on my frame.

Installed: 

I have three videos uploaded regarding a few details on my Photobucket but for some reason my browser is not allowing me to load them and my phone app isn't giving me audio.

Here was my first video. Note, I was screwed up on thinking the arrangement but hopefully it might help show things.
http://vid80.photobucket.com/albums/j167/Eliteman76/Videos/MOV02115.mp4

First reference video:
http://vid80.photobucket.com/albums/j167/Eliteman76/Videos/Torinoradsupport-LH-4-29-2011.mp4

Second reference video:
http://vid80.photobucket.com/albums/j167/Eliteman76/Videos/Torinoradsupport-RH-4-29-2011.mp4

Hope this helps a bit.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2018 at 1:48PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

these are the energy suspension bushings that i used for the core support # 9.4102R

I have a question for you cj. I'm not sure you'll know the answer but here goes..

In regards to the metal 1 1/4" OD sleeve on the bushing that fits through the frame. Do you remember if it looked removable or if looked cast into the bushing?

I'm thinking if I can remove it, less work for me.     

Edited by lynchster - 07-January-2018 at 1:49PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2018 at 4:12PM
it's cast into the bushing IIRC but as long as the frame hole is big enough the shorter bushing goes up inside the frame and the bigger bushing goes on top of the frame, core support sits on top of the bushing assembly (no bushing on top of the core support!)(just a washer and nut)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2018 at 12:52PM
Originally posted by lynchster lynchster wrote:

I have a question for you cj. I'm not sure you'll know the answer but here goes..

In regards to the metal 1 1/4" OD sleeve on the bushing that fits through the frame. Do you remember if it looked removable or if looked cast into the bushing?

I'm thinking if I can remove it, less work for me.     

This may be too late for you Chuck, but hope it can help others.  I am just working on getting my rad support installed.  I had the same problem where the 1 1/4" sleeve doesn't fit through the frame hole. I didn't want to drill my frame, especially after fresh paint. So I figured the better option is to remove the sleeve.  Turns out most of the sleeve is just a thin metal ring. 

I held the bushing in a vice and was able to pull it off with a pair of vice grips. I then cut the remaining poly protrusion off with a saw and trimmed with a utility knife to make it flush.

It now sites on the frame fine.  It's still a bit lower than my OEM setup, but I think I can shim it up with the shims from my factory bushing.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Anderslober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2020 at 9:26AM
Shouldnt the bushing go into the frame? Wont it `slide` around on the frame a bit?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2020 at 9:50AM
Originally posted by Anderslober Anderslober wrote:

Shouldnt the bushing go into the frame? Wont it `slide` around on the frame a bit?

I didn't want to drill my frame, which is why I did it that way I posted above. It can slide around a bit when the bolts are loose, but once you tighten them down, it doesn't move at all.  
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2020 at 10:37AM
yes! but from what i understand the 72's had a smaller hole in the frame?....
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Anderslober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2022 at 6:25AM
Any new ideas and/or products for this area of our cars?
👍
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12