The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Ranchero Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'79 Interior color code

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '79 Interior color code
    Posted: 21-February-2012 at 12:18PM
Hey Guys,
 I am in need of a Ford interior color code for a '79 Ranchero/Thunderbird that came with the leather dash and leather seats as options. The color code I need is for the Dark Red/Maroon. My '79 originally came with a Cordovan colored interior, many years ago I removed the leather interior including power doors from a '79 1/2 Ranchero. I now want to paint/dye the lower dash, pillar moldings, headliner trim and etc. to match the leather pieces. I have tried SEM, Duplicolor, Plastikote, Rustoleum and NPD paints and dye for a match with no luck. Please help if possible, a Ford color code would be greatly appreciated. I tried the local auto paint and supply but they said that it would be very difficult to match without a color code. Thank you in advance, Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2012 at 1:57PM
answered ya on the ranchero site but if you visit here first..... T-bird color codes:  HD dk red (picardy velour B/cloth int) and KD dk red (Natural grain leather and vinyl) used a 74 service manual to locate color codes. I owned a 76 with the dk red and it is the same as the 77-79 rancheros.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2012 at 2:43PM
Thank you Dan,
  I did find out that the Dark Red used in the mid to late 70's were a "D" code with the luxury leather interior code would be a "UD". I am really trying to find a numerical code for the Dark Red color. I went to Auto color library and found that a '79 has a Ditzler color code of 71934 and a Ford code of 4020G for Medium Red Poly which looks correct from the color sample chip they have but when I Google that Ditzler/PPG or Ford 4020G code number I get nothing, like it doesn't exist?? I have purchased 6 different shades of Dark Red, Burgundy and/or Maroon aerosol cans with no match. I talked to TCP Global and they said they could mix that 71934 color in acrylic lacquer but I wanted to see the color in person before I layed down over $100 for a quart of paint plus shipping. Locally, my auto paint and supply can try to match the color but by now I have no pieces left of the original red I had to match with due to cleaning the part enough to accept the new coating. The original paint was lacquer and had metallic in it(which most aerosol plastic/vinyl coatings don't have), the local paint store said they would only be able to do enamel/clear coat.  Thank you once again, Dan, your help is greatly appreciated. Todd  
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
 Post Reply Post Reply