The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

351C Valves - Self-adjusting?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrlcommish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351C Valves - Self-adjusting?
    Posted: 09-July-2006 at 9:26AM
Got a '72 351 Cleveland 2-bbl stock, and I have some valve tap.  I have never had the valve covers off.  Are the valves in this engine self-adjusting, or can I actually go in there and make an adjustment myself to stop the tap?  What is the recommended procedure to do the adjustment myself, if possible?  The valve covers are leaking oil anyway so I need to take them off in either case.
1972 Gran Torino Sport Fastback, Bored 30-over 351C - 4V, Lt Blue, Pertronix Ignitor, dual exhaust with Turbo mufflers, otherwise stock
MontegoMan351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MontegoMan351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2006 at 3:22PM

They are not adjustable as far as I know. If you are talking about the valve lash, my car is hydraulic flat tappet. Are you sure the noise is not a lifter tap?  Mine would tap its A$$ off, I've got a '73 Montego with the same eng. I am about to pull to do a mild build.  Cam was wiped and pitted, and lifters were cupping pretty bad.  You may want to look into this, it may be your problem too, then again maybe not.

In mine, I tried Lucas oil stabilizer and others with no change in the noise.  If you've got the money, put a mild cam and lifters in it.  You can find a cam, lifter, and timing set on ebay, usually, for a good price.  Hopefully, your cam bearings are not worn out like mine are. As long as you have another car you can drive.

Good Luck,
Chris                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
1973 Montego MX, 351 Cleveland 2v SEFI, '88 LSC EFI harn. and Fuel rails, Adj. Fuel Pres. Reg., A9L Mustang Computer, 76 mm Mass Air Housing. W/R AOD, Lock Right Locker, Electric Fan. 3G Alternator.
 Post Reply Post Reply