The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Ranchero Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interior door panel chrome trim

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interior door panel chrome trim
    Posted: 25-February-2012 at 1:44PM
My '79 Ranchero's chrome trim on the door panels are starting to peel(the chromed plastic just above the armrest), I need info on a product that replaces this chrome tape. I have heard/read about some products that could be used but I was hoping to find someone here with firsthand experience replacing their trim tape, what procuct they used and the outcome. Any help is much appreciated, Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2012 at 2:11PM
Todd could I suggest a silver paint marker? I have used them on other chrome plated plastic on my ranchero with decent results. Get one with the right size tip and with a steady hand you can bring life back to the trim.   
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2012 at 2:20PM
Hey Dan,
  I was thinking that would be my next step if the tape deal doesn't pan out. I was really going to tape off the panel and using an airbrush set-up spray the plastic strips with a chrome-like paint. I have used the pens but sometimes it looks decent in one area and almost a dull gray in another, not really uniform enough for me. If I find a tape that works I'll post my results. Man it sucks owning a vehicle with almost no aftermarket support, no wonder there are so many old Mustangs and Camaros they are so much easier to get parts for. Todd

Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2012 at 2:23PM
those door panels are T-bird ones you could try your luck in a boneyard and you might get lucky. I do feel your pain though.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2012 at 2:32PM
Thanks Dan,
  Didn't mean to vent. I wish I could find a junkyard with a mid to late 70's Ford/Lincoln/Mercury car in it. I remember seeing aisles of them but that was 15 years ago. Todd

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2012 at 4:43PM
3m chrome vinyl.

I've done the marker deal, I thought it looked lousy (no offense if you're happy with it).

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2012 at 5:37PM
Thanks Psquare75,
  I will look into the 3M vinyl, I have sample of vinyl I got from a graphics shop. It just seems the mil thickness is too much and not able to do the small 90 degree bends like a foil type of tape would allow. I will try the vinyl tomorrow and post results. The original tape seems to be a chrome foil/tape that has a clear protective film, but it is very thin, 1 mil or less. Thanks for the info. Todd

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2012 at 1:16AM
You'd be doing no 90 degree bends. Do it as if it were a wooden picture frame with 45 degree cuts at each corner. 
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2012 at 3:22AM
Yes Psquare75,
  The corners where the trim ends meet would be made with cuts. The 90' bends are for the profile of the trim, basically no compound bends of the trim tape. Todd

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2012 at 3:45AM
If you can wait until later this spring, I plan on doing my doors, and I'll post pics. 

Mine have the same issue.

Paul
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2012 at 5:12AM
  Sounds great I am in no big hurry just want to do it correctly, I think I have found the tape I have been searching for, it was recommended by a member of Ranchero USA. I will post pics and results as well when finished. Psquare75, those door panels look a little familiar for some reason....Wink. Thanks, Todd   

Post Reply Post Reply