The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 351C 2V With Cobra Jet Heads? Need Some Advice.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

351C 2V With Cobra Jet Heads? Need Some Advice.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aint She Sweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351C 2V With Cobra Jet Heads? Need Some Advice.
    Posted: 13-March-2012 at 3:36PM
My goal is to build a replica of the car used in Clint Eastwoods Movie. A few members here have been kind enough to confirm for me that the car had a 351C 2V with cobra jet heads. I am not a racer but would like to feel and know that if I wanted to I could burn the tires off the car and blow the doors off the stock chebby's out there. Can this be done with a 2V 351C with cobra jet heads or is that a pipe dream?

Any advice or recommendations as to how to build this motor to acheive that kind of result?

Edited by Aint She Sweet - 13-March-2012 at 3:38PM
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2012 at 5:17PM
our original torino... (see my progress thread) could burn the tires off the car with a stock setup.  my sister burned the engine up in 85 and my dad and i dropped a rebuilt 351c 2v back in it and it was STRONG.  dont know if it would blow the doors of chebbys but it would run strong.  cant wait to get mine on the street and see...
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
SininenIII View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SininenIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2012 at 6:23AM
Here´s some reading. Cleveland engine forum: http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/

You can make nice power with 2V heads too with flat top pistons to raise compression and a cam suitable for your needs. The 351C Cobra jet heads are open chamber heads like 2V heads, won´t give you higher compression, the Cobra jet heads like all 4V heads have big intake runners. The closed chambers are smaller, thus giving higher compression.
If you are looking for improvement on the heads, check out closed chamber 4V, Aussie 2V (closed chamber) or aftermarket heads.Smile

There are members (like Rockatansky) who have more knowledge on these engines.

Edited by SininenIII - 16-March-2012 at 6:26AM
Aatu
73 Gran Torino Sport

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2012 at 10:27PM
as production blocks go, a block is a block is a block whether it's 2 bolt or 4 bolt as long as it's sound they all began life pretty much the same. just a machine operation decided if it would get 2 bolt main caps or 4  

your terminology of '2V 351C with cobra jet heads' is a little confuzzling, once you remove the 2V heads you have a short block. then if you add Cobra Jet heads, you have a 351C-4V engine. during the first gas crunch in the 1970's many 4V Clevelands were converted to 2V in hopes of better fuel economy, many others since have had to be repaired / maintained to keep them in service and have found themselves wearing 2V heads also... then again many 2V's have been upgraded to 4V status so there's no telling what you might find out there

it's a sad day when a 4V Cleveland doesn't stomp the guts out of a stock chevy
72 GT Ute

Aint She Sweet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aint She Sweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2012 at 2:31AM
If I go with 4V heads and an aftermarket edelbrock or holly will the original 2V aircleaner mount up? I'd like to keep the stock appearance if at all possible.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2012 at 3:14AM
that's funny,you live in NY and so does Ricks72GTS which he painted his 72 GTS
 to look like the movie car and your wanting to build yours as a movie car replica
so when done there will be 2 in that state.

not sure if the 2V air cleaner will work you might have to swap to a factory 4v air cleaner
really who is gonna know anyway I don't recall the hood ever being open on the movie
at all so you never see the engine.How many people actually know it was a 2v Cleveland other then maybe the members here who read the thread on the actual movie car which before that I didn't know but since they sold the car to the studio,he  knew and told us.

Just get a 4v and take the decal off or even put a 2v decal on it as Dearborn Classics sells the decals
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2012 at 4:44AM
2V case should work. Make it your own version - like Jeff said, no one who watched the movie would probably know.

On a side note, though - Didn't the punks that were convincing the kid to steal it say a quick description of what it was at the end of Walt's driveway? Seem to remember something about it - will have to take a look at our DVR to confirm.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2012 at 5:16AM
that was a script,doesn't mean it was accurate to the actual car that they bought

If I remember correctly the kid says it was a Cobra Jet but that is not true to the actual car

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aint She Sweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2012 at 11:35AM
The kid did say Cobra Jet Engine but according to the sources here on the forum the car had a 351 C 2v with cobra jet heads so I assume it had to have a 4 barrel intake and carb. When it comes to movie cars I'm very particular. My Christine Clone has the only NOS 350CI Golden Commando motor on the face of the earth. (Shameless Plug ;)

Edited by Aint She Sweet - 30-March-2012 at 11:40AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aint She Sweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2012 at 11:54AM
Originally posted by 72 GTS 429 72 GTS 429 wrote:

that's funny,you live in NY and so does Ricks72GTS which he painted his 72 GTS
 to look like the movie car and your wanting to build yours as a movie car replica
so when done there will be 2 in that state.

Must be New York Thing! LOL
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2012 at 12:14PM
Originally posted by Salt City Salt City wrote:

p.s. the car is a numbers matching 351 cleveland 2v car with bucket seats and floor console and shifter and all orriginal sheet metal.

where on the forum did you read the movie car had CJ heads?? as that is a quote from the guy who sold the car to the studio

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2012 at 7:40PM
like i was trying to 'splain, 2V heads and Cobra Jet heads are very different, can't be both

the movie car or any other 72 Gran Torino Sport with a 351C should have 4V Open Chamber heads on it, and the spreadbore cast iron intake to be correct but i'd use the earlier square bore manifold even though it's 'wrong', or a Blue Thunder 
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2012 at 12:15AM
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply